Did 2.0 break Discover?

Hey @Placebophile,

Thank you for the info! After digging deeper into this issue, we discovered a potential connection with this and the use of genres/tags.

Do you currently have or use custom tags? And if so, do you by chance have or use custom genres in/as your tags?

Hi.
Yes, I have 9 custom tags in Roon.
One of them is called Bootleg.
Mentioning this as Roon also uses Bootleg as an album edit option.
I also have a tag ā€œFuture Dubā€ and Dub is a genre in Roon.
Perhaps this is confusing something?

Iā€™m using my own genre metadata.
Roon is set to prefer file for all Album metadata and a mixture of Roon and file for Track metadata preference.

Iā€™ve messed around a bit assigning Top Level genres too.

Itā€™s a been a while so Iā€™m not totally sure but itā€™s possible this started around the time I created the Bootleg custom tag as this was within the past few months.

Hey @Placebophile,

Thanks for the information! Based on what we found when enabling diagnostics on your account, it does appear that the custom genre metadata may be the culprit behind discover not working.

Weā€™re going to spend some time replicating this issue on our end to confirm. Until then, if youā€™d like, you could test removing one genre at a time (if it isnā€™t too cumbersome) to better understand which piece of metadata is causing the confusion with your discover.

Update: @Placebophile as another test, could you please navigate to your Roon core settings>Library>Import settings and test toggling off ā€œuse genres from rooms metadata databaseā€ and see if the issue persists?

Hi Ben,

I changed my Roon settings to use Roon genre info rather than my genre metadata.

Discover works with these settings which seems to confirm this issue is related to my genre metadata.
So progress. Yay.
However, Iā€™m not sure I want to rely on Roon genres.
I might be ok with this Iā€™ll just need to give it some thought and trial.

Iā€™m willing to try experimenting with my personal genre tags but Iā€™m not sure how to go about your suggestion.
Are you suggesting I try editing my genre tags?
Thereā€™s a lot of them!

My hard drive is arranged by artist not genre.
Would I select all tracks of a given genre in Roon, export them to a new folder and then use a tag editing program?
Or try editing one album at a time?
This might be very time consuming so Iā€™m wondering what the most efficient method might be?

Thanks!

Edit: Or just temporarily delete/relocate outside my Roon storage folder albums of a certain genre starting with any that use genre names that arenā€™t used by Roon?

1 Like

Hey @Placebophile,

Thank you for confirming this! There might be an easy way to navigate around removing any of your work.

If possible, can you try to add an artist WITH an image to one of your custom genres without a photo? The leading cause of this issue as it stands, is that Roon cannot identify a genre that does not have an image associated with it. The problem here is that weā€™re not able to add an image to a custom genre.

However, adding an artist with an image, and adding the custom tag to the artist, may allow Roon to better process this custom information.

Let me know if this is possible to test :+1:

I understand what youā€™re suggesting.
Iā€™ll give it a whirl a bit later and report back.

Been messing about with this.
As far as I can tell I now only have two custom genres without a picture.
There are two albums in these genres both of which have artist pics.

Iā€™ve noticed that Ghost Box has a pic when viewed from the top level genre but when I click through thereā€™s no pic

Hey @Placebophile,

What youā€™re seeing is a generic placeholder image for that genre. Weā€™ll still need you to upload a specific image for an artist tagged with that genre.

We may need an image for ā€˜Pagan Metalā€™ as well :+1:

Sorry, Iā€™m confused.
Are you saying upload an Artist image via Valence?
Asking as the two genres that are missing pics contain an artist for which there is already a pic in Roon.
Thanks.

FWIW If I click edit on Pagan Metal genre I can see a wee pic of one of the artists I have in that genre.

Hey @Placebophile,

Thanks for giving that a try. It seems that prior fixes to this issue may no longer stand. We are working on a related fix that may help with this - it should be ready for release soon. I canā€™t speak on specific timelines, but it shouldnā€™t be a long wait.

Weā€™ll continue to investigate this in the meantime. The workaround right now is to remove those troublesome custom genre tags, which isnā€™t an ideal place to put you in - my apologies there! I will certainly keep you in the loop as things progress on our end.

Thanks for the update.
I donā€™t mind waiting.
In the meantime Iā€™ll try using Roon genres and see what thatā€™s like. Iā€™ve been using my file metadata for genres since day 1.

Just curious though, when you say ā€œremove troublesome custom genre tagsā€ do you mean remove those genres from my file metadata?
Asking because I tried editing the albums and artists with the troublesome genres in Roon: Removing the references to the troublesome genres and changing them to genres Roon uses.
This resulted in the troublesome genres still appearing in the Roon Genre tab but with no associated artists or albums (and thus Discover still doesnā€™t work)

Discover works after changing import settings to use Roon genres.

1 Like

Hey @Placebophile,

Apologies for the delay here! Our developers werenā€™t able to recreate this on their end, and are curious to further investigate your database.

Please follow the directions here : https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/upload-database#If_using_Roon_standalone_app_All-in-one

And upload your database here : https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/gnhz54df9ddffa33d49a3be8619bd6376a5de/external

Thank you for your continued patience here :pray:

Done.
I donā€™t know if it matters for the database but FYI Roon is currently configured to use Roon Genres so Discover is working.
If I change settings to use to my personal genres Discover breaks.
Thanks.

1 Like

Hey @Placebophile,

Weā€™ve recently relesaed a fix for this issue in the newest update. I wanted to check in and see if you were still running into this issue?

2 Likes

I just switched to using genres from file tags and Discover works again!
Thanks so much for your support.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.