DietPi vs RoPieee vs Volumio

I have the Allo Digione Player on top of my Pi
and flashed 3 micro SD with the soft in Title .
Would like to know wich one is more Roon Friendly ?

I believe Volumio to be a music player application using the music player daemon under Linux as backend. I don’t see any relationship with Roon. Ropieee is a specially tailored Linux distribution to run the Roon Bridge software, and nothing else. It is easy to set up and to administer. DietPi on the other hand is a lightweight Linux distro tailored for RPi with the flexibility to run a wide selection of software. As is often the case, with more flexibility comes a little more work to set up things. I myself use Ropieee with a RP4 as end point for a USB DAC/head phones amp, and it is working very well.

4 Likes

Simples. RoPieee: a RoonBridge ready-to-go image for Raspberry Pi.

3 Likes

I personally prefered Volumio …
I can see the endpoint Volumio in Roon Audio
Nice interface , easy to use ,
The possibility tu use Spotify , Radio and my Local Network Music Server like Synology .
Dietpi I found it too complicated
and Ropiii too simple

1 Like

From strictly a Roon endpoint perspective (the original post stated “Roon Friendly”), what functionality does RoPieee lack? I am curious to understand your perspective better.

1 Like

For the purest Roon Endpoint experience you shouldn’t need to do anything once set up. For me Ropieee comes closest to that ideal. If you want to do more, or exercise more control over what resources the Pi uses then the other options are there. My Ropieee endpoint feeds a USB DAC at DSD512, displays cover art and allows me basic control over what is playing. Pause, play skip and volume via a 7 inch Pi display. Great support too.

If you want only to use Roon, probably Ropieee. Ropieee doesn’t lack functionality if you are using the Roon UI from a tablet, phone, etc. If you want to use the Ropiee endpoint as a touchscreen for control of Roon, it lacks anything more than basic playback functions.

Dietpi is more versatile and allows you to add more functions and more ways of playback, etc.

It’s clear that everybody here is for Ropiii
The simplest endpoint for Roon
I don’t understand why nobody support Volumio wich has a very elegant and convivial interface and a lot of features ?
Web UI and Apple application to remote from iPad or iPhone

Well, using Roon, you will use the Roon interface, the Roon Remote app for iPhone and iPad, don’t you? Volumio to my knowledge doesn’t include Roon Bridge functionality, and if you see it as Roon endpoint I believe that this works only with Airplay. Using Roon you definitely don’t need nor want the Volumio interface, and if you prefer the Volumio app and interface, why would you use Roon in the first place?

1 Like

If you are using Roon, the additional features of Volumio are largely redundant.

4 Likes

Yes you touched an important point about Volumio
From Roon I only can reach Volumio with Airplay .
And Airplay connection can sometimes micro disconnect .
Now if I put the Ropiii Micro SD Card in the Pi with Digione Player Hat , do you think Audio Quality will be better ?
What adventage can I get ?

You can simply install Roon Bridge via ssh. That said, I ditched Volumio on my endpoints in December (for RoPieee) after a bungled release around the Christmas period. Up until then it had worked flawlessly for me - I first started using it as RoPieee didn’t use to offer wireless dongle support.

Well, you get Roon RAAT protocol support to your endpoint. As @dhusky points out, you can of course install Roon Bridge on Volumio, but why would you want to do that if it is so much easier to simply use RoPieee or RoPieee XL and be done with it. Again… using Roon you have no need for the Volumio user interface, so why bother with Volumio in the first place? I simply can’t see the use case.

I have to disagree here. After trying both Roon and Volumio (Virtuoso subscriber here) for weeks, I must say Roon is the winner. Volumio user interface is one or two stars behind Roon. The web based application / control is erratic. Links (buttons) sometimes work sometimes not. Inconsistent behavior in (continuous) playback. Volumio’s Tidal integration is somewhat buggy. The Android app is just a wrapper of web app, which carries those anomalies of the web application (and adds few more in the process). There are times that I just switch from Android app to web app on the smart phone just to avoid the some of the bugs / shortcomings.

2 Likes

I used both DietPi and Ropieee and both worked on a standard Rasberry Pi 4. On an Allo USBridge Signature the DietPi version had some pops and ticks on high resolution files (mostly DSD). But Ropieee was flawless.

WiFi is iffy. Pi’s are notorious for weak connection. USB WiFi dongle solves this. But the kernel support for dongles is sketchy. I had one rock solid and an update took it out. Kernel no longer supported. Might go DietPi. Must string ethernet across the living room to listen to my music. Oh, well. Tech.

Both my boards are 4’s. I guess all have better luck than me. Purchased extenders for each (pricey but now seems rock solid) to connect via ethernet. Anyway, all is good. Glad you guys had such good luck with onboard wifi. Me, not so much.

My WiFi experience using a Pi4/RoPieee on the 5GHz band is very good. I have the Pi inside a Flirc case, the router is in another room 25 feet away.

2 Likes

I have two RPi4’s both running RoPieeeXL. One is in a FLIRC case and connected by ethernet feeding a Meridian Prime. The other is in a Smarti Pi Touch case with a screen feeding a Dragonfly Cobalt. It is battery powered and connected by WIFI. Both work perfectly.

2 Likes

This may have been the case in the past, thus the “notorious” remark, but with Pi4, I don’t think this can be a blanket statement anymore. Both the WiFi and the USB have been redesigned and vastly improved in the Pi4. So, after the initial install for RoPieee with a network cable connection, enable WiFi and you should be good to go, if the other modern devices in your household also have stable WiFi connections in your setup and system.

Yes, the RPi4 WIFI seems to work well. I can use it all over the house including back porch. I would simply upgrade to a RPi4 if I was having problems with WIFI.