DietPi vs RoPieee vs Volumio

In fact, running cat6a along the room corners was one of the best things I ever did for my audio setup. Wired is better than wireless for speed, stability, and ease of administration (it always works).

Thatā€™s true, but not necessary just for a Roon end-point if you have a decent WIFI signal and RPI4.

Back up and running. Bought wifi extenders with ethernet connection so Piā€™s look as if they are wired and avoids USB wifi dongle incompatibility.

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking into this question, specifically with respect to Volumio (using the Roon Bridge plugin) vs RoPieee. I just got a few hifiberry HATs for my 3bs, and about the only thing I can see that I would prefer to have Volumio installed for is in-app volume control. Currently, using RoPieee I canā€™t control device volume.

Iā€™m not sure how you came to this conclusion.

If using Roon, volume control is ā€œin the handsā€ of RoonBridge, a software component that is the same amongst the different OSā€™ses.

If you use XL for other services then RoPieee provides hardware volume control as well (if the HAT supports it).

Admittedly Iā€™m very new to Roon and didnā€™t realize this. It seems to be a ā€œlimitationā€ of the hifiberry digi+. I did switch to Volumio with the RoonBridge plugin anyway primarily to leverage the Home Assistant integration and TTS.