Difference music export or copy/paste

I have my Pc as a core and one of my HD have the music files(+extra metadata). Now i own a NAS (Synology DS418j and 4x Toshiba 3GB RAID 6)) and want to store my music files on it. Whats the best way to do it '?
Just copy and insert the music on NAS or should i export the music from PC to NAS ?
As i have some Cd where i have modified/improved the Metadata, i want loose that extra data.
Please tell me whats the best way, what the advantages or disadvantages.
Thanks Robert

If you want to move your files, the take a read of the library migration FAQ.

Imho, the best way is to leave your music on the core and just use the NAS as a backup.

1 Like

Hello Rugby, thanks for your fast and very good answer. I will do it following the instructions, but one point i dont understand.I forgot to mention that my space on the PC_HD drives are are more or less gone, thats the reason why i want to srore the music on the NAS. Whats your motivation/thinking, that i shoul leave the music on the PC, do you expecting some issue when the music is stored on the NAS ?

Hi Robert,

I’ll explain my last comment a bit, when you play a music file in Roon, the file is processed by the Server and then sent out to the endpoint. If your music is local, then the Server is just retrieving a local file, if it is on a NAS, then it has to read the file over the network from the NAS. This is adding a new potential point of failure, as network issues could start causing playback issues.

Also, NAS can not report new music being added. So that can cause a situation where you will have to manually refresh the Server before it sees any new music added to a NAS. Some find this to get old and annoying.

As a general best practice, the files should be local to the Roon Core, imho. See previous discussions.

Personally, I either have all my music on a large internal drive on one core, and, I have it on a large external USB drive on the other. Copies of both music drives are kept on my NAS.

Hello Daniel, thanks a lot for your help here,;-))
Reading all that and try to catch it all, i have now a new target, please comment if thats a good goal.

Hardware:

1. I want to have locally in my music room direct at the audio Trinnov Altitude32 a small PC, a Fujitsu with that Data. My components are 4x i5-347DT CPU with 2,9Ghz and 8GB RAM and a Samsung 128 GB-SSD.
    As my music data have current about 700GB, i have to add
  2. then one or two bigger USB-SSD as the Fujtsu have two 3.0 USB connector(I guess the transfer rate of that interface fits to the SSD or ?
  3. When i want to have access to the Fujitsu i can do that over the local homenetwork to my PC upstairs what have a keybord and monitor .

Software:

1. On the PC (with W10 installed) upstairs i do not need to install ROON as i have via W10 and VNC access to the Fujitsu -Audio PC, is that correct or recommendet ?
    2)On the Fujitsu Audio-PC i have to install a ROON-core ? That PC have a windows 10 home refurbished software on it so i should can talk to the PC upstairs.
  2. The backups i can make via my synology NAS ?
  3. Is there an further advantage to only install Linux on the audio-Pc with professional help ? And how can i then “connect” a monitor without make a real cable connection, means like VNC as above or what i have to install when i want to modify/add something on my musicfiles ?

Is this your current Core?

You do not need SSD for music storage. The transfer rate on USB and a standard hard drive are already faster than the Core can process the music, so that is wasted speed and money. But, it won’t hurt anything.

If you are setting up the Fujitsu Audio PC to run headless, then I would install RoonServer, not, Roon. RoonServer does not have a GUI and you control it by logging in the Roon program running on your other PC to the server. So, yes, you could control the audio PC from your other PC.

Not any SQ advantage for using Linux vs Windows. Its a matter of what you are more comfortable with. There are other considerations that might play in. Like do you need Windows drivers for the devices attached?

Thanks Daniel again for your help.
My current setup is my “main” Pc upstairs where ROON core is running.(The specs about the same as my Future audio-Pc) Also my music is stored here.

My reason to change that are/was as i have tooo much programms running and data stored on my PC.
So the idea come up to use my NAS that was unused…That time i am starting to ask.

Iam glad that you say my suggestions as described in my last reply is possible and sense-/usefull.
That what i understand from your answers:

1. Install a ROON server on the audio PC. Its possible/ necessary/needed/advantaged NOT to install windows on that Audio-PC just running ROON headless ? And here are my music also stored on the internal SSD and on external basic HD via USB.
  2. Run ROON Core on my main-PC , so i can control the Audio-PC and work on playlist, Metadata and also updates are done .
  3. A “remote” app is still possible via the current i-pad.
  4. All backup are done/stored on my NAS.

A) Do you expect better practical usage performance, and what do you say about audio improvements in terms of sound quality - can i expect something ?
B) Anything else what i have missed here or should take (special) care ?

If it already has windows, I would just install RoonServer for Windows. It does not have a GUI. If you wanted to run it on another OS you could; however, ROCK that you hear people discuss is made for very specific hardware of which that Fujitsu is not officially supported. That doesn’t mean it won’t work, just it is not guaranteed to work, nor, to keep working on it. The other alternative would be Linux, but, if you are not familiar with it, I wouldn’t start.

Once the other PC is setup as a Core, you will only run Roon as a client on your current PC.

Thanks again.Will install windows then.
Sorry about the audioPC ROON version install, first you say ROON headless i have to install, now you mentioned to a core install ? And what is aclient ROON install then on my current PC ?
Sorry about my knowledge…

Some references to help

Right now, you are running both the Server portion and the Client portion on your PC. You are going to setup another PC that will just run the Server portion. You will then connect your current Roon install to that other server.

So, I would suggest that you review the first guide Architecture to get a better feel of Roon. Then you will need to review the Moving Roon to a new Core FAQ, and then finally, the first one I linked, “How do I move my Roon Library to a new computer”.

Thanks for all, will do my homework. Great help !!