DigiOne Signature + Mac Mini setup: I'm having some issues

So, previously I was running Core on my MacBook Pro and that was beaming wirelessly to the DigiOne Signature (using RoPieeeXL) which then ran via Digital Audio RCA to my Marantz PM7000N and everything was fine.

So I thought, “I’ll get a Mac mini put Roon Core and my music library on it, ethernet that into the DigiOne Signature, and I won’t have to run the FLAC files wirelessly!”

This apparently doesn’t work. The DigiOne Signature doesn’t show up at all in Roon. The only way it pops up is if I have it connected via ethernet to my router. In that sequence I’m assuming the Mac mini with Roon Core is sending the music wirelessly to the router which then directs it via the cable to the DigiOne Signature and then into the integrated amp.

How do I make it so that I’m not sending any FLAC files wirelessly? USB to USB from the Mac mini to the DigiOne Signature?

Halp.

Previous working setup:

MacBook Pro (connected to internet) Core/Library -> Wireless -> DigiOne Signature -> Digital Audio RCA -> Integrated Amp

Setup I thought would work but does not:

Mac mini (connected to internet) Core/Library -> Ethernet -> DigiOne Signature -> Digital Audio RCA - > Integrated Amp

So apparently I need to connect both the DigiOne Signature and the Mac mini to a router for them to use the ethernet to send music. Does anyone have a decent router they recommend? I’m currently using a combo modem/router and I’d like something a little nicer inbetween them. I figured I could just run a new router from the combo unit, and then connect both the Pi and Mac to that router?

Router? Or switch. You should use a switch. Netgear GS105 is an option. Both are plugged into the switch and plug the switch into the router/modem…

I was really hoping it would be just as easy as plugging the Mac into the Pi, but…

I ended up ordering that Netgear GS105, as well as a second Blue Jeans 6A ethernet cable to run from the switch to the Mac mini (I have another one already to run to the Allo DigiOne Signature). I bought a “normal” Cat 7 flat ethernet cable to run from the switch to the combo modem/wireless router because it has to go under an area rug. So now I can switch off the wireless on RoPieee/Pi4 unit and it should all work fine?

@David_Snyder Is there a Pi OS that will let me do what I thought would work in the initial post? I don’t need wireless at all.

Have I got this right , you want to connect with one cable the Ethernet port off the mini to the Ethernet port of the Digione?

If so where is the Network connection , it will never work

Mini Ethernet to Router, Router to Digione is the way

1 Like

This depends, the improvements you’re making should give you a more reliable, higher capacity network link. This will only make a difference if the previous capacity was inadequate. Real network speeds are tricky to calculate and best measured, particularly wireless where the connection quality matters. This depends on distances between connection points, the number of barriers and what they’re made of, metal can be brutal.

Lossless audio streaming is a bit “all or nothing” in this respect. If you’re network speed is inadequate audio streaming quality doesn’t “degrade”, problems are likely to show up as interruptions/gaps. This starts as small gaps/static like clicks as captivity creaks, and interruptions/track skips once it’s breached. Video streaming can use adaptive bit rates which fall back lower quality, smaller streams when bandwidth creaks. This leads to a fuzzy/blocky images that you’ll be familiar with. Lossless audio streaming doesn’t generally use these tricks. Obviously streaming hi-res material is more demanding and more likely to expose issues.

Conclusion, if you were hearing pops or songs stopped then you’ll see some improvements. Don’t expect qualitative improvements like improved sound stage though.

I’m not super network savvy, but I figured that just connecting the three components together would enable it to work. Creating its only little network.

If I’m downloading heavy and listening to music at the same time, it’s not super happy, but that might just be the router/modem combo being a jerk. I should probably separate them out. The router and the DigiOne Signature are about 6 feet from each other though with nothing in-between.

I’d not considered how your kit’s mood might be affected by the improvements :wink: Speaking seriously, how does this unhappiness manifest itself in terms of performance?

BTW direct connection between ethernet ports on the devices is possible but it’s pretty pointless as any connection to the internet would then be forced via a bridged wireless link. Back in the day dedicated special “crossover” ethernet cables were required for the trick.

An error message and skipping to the next track.

Yeah, it should fix that, particularly for music from your local collection. Streaming service connection speeds will still depend on the speed/quality of your broadband connection.

The connection is good (SpeedTest rates around 100mbps), but for some reason, even moderate downloading will just choke the local FLAC files from my collection. I don’t do much streaming, but I do have Qobuz to check things out.

Hard wired Ethernet is nearly always best, good luck :slight_smile:

If the downloading and streaming all happen simultaneously on the Mac and it’s only on wireless connection between the Mac and the router then maxing out your wireless is likely the cause of your issues. Even for wireless, the connection is Mac to router, then router to Pi. It’s tempting to think of a direct Mac to Pi wireless connection, but it’s not the case.

No. A router is a device that connects two separate networks. You almost certainly do not want to create a second network in your home. Doing so will create endless problems for Roon.

Instead, connect an unmanaged 1 Gbps Ethernet switch to your existing router and connect Core and endpoints to that switch. Getting fancier will make you crazy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could use a wireless bridge / repeater to connect the switch to the router if you can’t use a cable. So you have

router -(wifi)-> bridge -(ethernet)-> switch -> Mac, Pi

Just one subnet, the Mac and the Pi have internet connectivity, the Mac and Pi connected by ethernet.

I use a TP Link Archer C7, which has 4 ethernet ports, so you don’t need an extra switch.
You could use ethernet over power as well.

So the three components (Core, Bridge, Receiver) can’t create their own network and that needs to be facilitated by the router. What information is traveling from the bridge to the router during the playing of local library files that live on the Mac mini Core?

The stereo, core, and bridge are about 15 feet (as wire travels) from my current router and I’d have to run a cable under the area rug if I wanted to forego wireless in the equation. I think the switch between bridge and Core is going to be what I end up doing.

This switch would be fine. It’s metal so a bit more robust. I’ve had a similar one for 10 year+

All three items need to be wired to the switch by ethernet cable.

With a switch between the core and the bridge and the router, very little. The underlying bridge OS will reach to the outside world regularly but tiny traffic.

1 Like

Trying to find one that has the power cord and ports on the same side for best positioning. I cancelled my earlier order just to make sure everything was needed.