Dirac SDK raises hopes Dirac can be integrated in Roon!

I think this is the point behind the question.

The Roon world is different.
Not just that it is inherently distributed.
But my multiroom system uses no Windows or MacOS devices.
Not just Nucleus, but all the endpoints are connected through devices like the MicroRendu, and a few iOS.

A good Dirac answer must accommodate this.

It is ok to involve a Windows machine during measurement and configuration, I did that using Acourate. But not at runtime.

2 Likes

Right now I point Roon to Dirac Live (PC) and the Dirac Live WASAPI driver points to my DACā€™s ASIO driver, and that then goes over USB to my DAC to play back the Dirac Live enhanced music. It would be great if the wonky Dirac UI would not need to run at all, nor would we need to ā€œpointā€ to Dirac Live within Roon. This would solve a bunch of problems.

Would love to see the Dirac Live filters were applied within Roon and we can point directly to the DAC or network streamer.

@flak, I believe @Frans suggestion in his most recent post is the only sensible solution. The user does measurements in Dirac, but Roon runs the correction internally on itā€™s Core just like with a convolution. I can see a problem with the Dirac licensing model here. Itā€™s made for a single running correction, Roon can serve multiple rooms which each should have itā€™s own correction. I am sure Dirac can come up with a way to deal with this.

The Dirac licensing model has room to evolve given the price-point. :slight_smile:

Trinnov offers Roon ready preamps, DACS, etc all running with the best possible room correction in the market. Yes theyā€™re expensive (around 6 times more than a typical Dirac solution for their cheapest kit) but their room correction based on that 3D microphone is that much better.

There are several roon end point product solutions. One I am looking forward to seeing is:
https://nadelectronics.com/product/c-658-bluos-streaming-dac/

What would be especially nice is if there was a Roon based Dirac option though I am not certain how that would work. Roon/Dirac would need to ā€œplay niceā€ and this may or may not be on Roon/Dirac radar. I am hopeful someone from Roon will respond to this question???

Also Roon would need to be able to store separate Dirac correction files for each endpoint. Roon seems to be able to do this in ā€œConvolutionā€?

I guess that is one of the problems. Dirac wants you to buy one licence per system or zone in Roon lingo. In addition Dirac doesnā€™t support Linux so that might be a problem (though I am not sure about this) Roon works on Windows, Mac and Linux.

hi there,

maybe this is a stupid question, but i need to ask before i begin my roon trial. as i urgently need DIRAC due to the fact that my room is an acoustical desaster, i need to know whether the follwing scenario is working:
macmini (16GB RAM, 512GB SDD; all roon software installed on this macmini excluding roon iPad app; music on external HDD; DIRAC installed on the macmini) -> select DIRAC as audio output device from roon -> USB DAC.
this is what i am currently doing with puremusic and that works fine. now i am intending do cease puremusic and use roon instead ā€¦ but i can i select DIRAC as an audio output device from roon?

thanks a lot
timo

Roon & Dirac are in talks - hopefully they come up with a seamless solution soon

1 Like

How do you know?

People from Dirac as well as Roon were telling me. Hopefully Corona didnā€˜t have a negative impact on that.

1 Like

Great news!

That would be great news indeed! Iā€™m currenntly using Dirac 1.2.

Now there is a problem! Roon could do this easily (and does it today), but Dirac is licensing per device or setup so in the current model youā€™d have to buy a Dirac license for each endpoint you want correction for. Itā€™s easy to solve of course, but Dirac must be willing to find a solution.

This alone, would be worth the price of admission for Roon. The options for Dirac + Roon are currently very very limited

Danny did say to be very patient, a few years ago.

Wow that is already such a long time ago! Demand for room correction also for 2.0 setups has steadily increased. Really hope they make a progress finally.

Thereā€™s no reason at all to care for any specific brand of room correction, be it Dirac or any other: Iā€™d personally rather Roon work with Illusonic or Trinnov, but, wellā€¦ If you want Dirac, your best bet is probably to do what @flak suggested, and either get a MiniDSP device or a windows-based endpoint.

Itā€™s already very feasible to do room correction in Roon, thanks to its very good convolution engine. It is clearly not automated and"plug and play" as Dirac is, but very good results can be achieved with a microphone + either Acourate or (edited) Audiolense (costs money), REW/Rephase (free) or Home Audio Fidelity service.

The latter has my favors because itā€™s very advanced (more than Dirac on some aspects), and the easiest solution available today without Dirac integration. NB: measurements have finally been made easy with their latest Measurement Tool

1 Like

Oh, yes, absolutely agree - I was thinking of the all-in-one, GUI type approaches. Then thereā€™s of course @Magnusā€™s great step-by-step for those who donā€™t mind getting their hands dirty.