Dirac update , Roon and VST/AU plugins

Some more products eligible for Dirac live Bass Control - https://live.dirac.com/home-audio/

I am happy to see the multi-channel pluggin. https://live.dirac.com/pro-audio/

1 Like

Is anyone here using Dirac plugin (stereo also) on macOS with Roon, with either Rogue Amoebaā€™s Audio Hijack or SoundSource apps?

Do either of those apps support automatic sample rate switching, for different sample rates played in Roon?

I succeeded somewhat, there are few things

• I had to run Squeezebox and Roon on a separate machines. Otherwise there is a port conflict
  • JRiver canā€™t stream, it tries to connect and stops after few seconds, only foobar works
  • foobar is a 32-bit app. Dirac supplies with 64-bit VST

Dirac installs both 64bit and 32bit vst. Pls look under the program files (x86).

No, are you working with the most recent DLP? I have two installations and I donā€™t have in any of them.

There is a separate download for the 32bit version on their website.

thanks
yes, indeed, completely forgot about this :slight_smile:

Do you have any idea what might be the issue with JRiver?

As I understood, in this setup I have two LMS - Roon & LMS where I host the upnp plugin
I also configured in LMS in plugin page that the host is Roon so it will get the heartbeat, I could not get it to discover the Squuezelite instance that upnp plugins instantiates

I would like to understand whatā€™s going on with JRiver, do you have any idea?

Hi @Michael_Nemoy,

I played with LMS as well as Jriver some time ago and I gave up while trying to understand Jriver UI. So I cannot help you on that. Sorry. BTW, Roon is not an LMS, Rather, it is a player. I think. So the playback chain should look like:

Roon (Player) -> LMS w/ UPnP plugin -> UPnP renderer (foobar w/ Dirac VST in your case) -> DAC

One day I will learn how to use JRinver.

Roon occupies port 9000, I debugged this yesterday with TCPView. Actually, this is how it discovers the squeeze clients by imitating slim protocol.

Spent half a day yesterday until understood that LMS and Roon canā€™t run on the same machine

Iā€™ve lost track of Dirac Live and Roon compatibility, and to be honest, largely given up on Dirac as a result, but if anyone here is still interested, Dirac have a 30% discount on Dirac Live running until November 15th 2020:

https://www.facebook.com/DiracResearch/posts/3592005814183355
2 Likes

Same here, I would like to have Dirac to play around with if properly supported, but not when I have to pipe everything through VST Host (even if that probably donā€™t affect sound quality).

Dirac responded on the question what the status is - they said Roon replied to them they donā€™t have time for Drac Live integration this year :frowning: Still no response from Roon but I still hope someone is providing a feedback. @danny

Considering the lack of big new functionality lately, I guess its one of the below (I hope its 1)

1. Roon is working on a big functionality which takes a long time to complete
  2. Roon has reduced the developers (perhaps because of financial problems) and can only handle support and maintenance.
  3. Roon is in merger discussions and has halted development, and as usual in those case no one are allowed to speak about it.

And somewhat strange that no one of Roon is replying anymore for quite some time.

Iā€™ll put my fingers in my ears while the conspiracy theorists get the bit between their teeth ā€¦then in the true music lover tradition find a song that fits. Que Sera, Sera by Johnny Thunders of course.

Now that the big Roon 1.8 is out, and the long list of issues is getting shorter, is there going to be any focus on supporting Dirac in Roon?

2 Likes

There is definitely a high demand in the community and other users might switch to Roon once they see this integrated.
Maybe @enno can give an update on the path ahead.

1 Like

Dirac came out awhile ago with there system wide, standalone. Integrates nicely with Roon

I have been running Dirac Live 2 Channel on a MacMini M1 for the last 6 weeks with zero issues. The setup is very simple.

Roon sends its output to a 2 channel Blackhole MacOS Virtual Audio Driver which intern is feeding Kushview Element that runs the Dirac plug. Elements output is then sent to the MacMini USB output / DAC.

It is also a very simple one mouse click to switch to different Dirac configurations within Element.

I also ran a second Roon output to a Roon endpoint into the same DAC to be able to compare the pre and post Dirac sound. Very interesting from an Engineering point of view.

Drew

4 Likes