Discover very slow

Hi @Arie_van_Boxel,

Can you verify that you’re on the latest version of Roon?

If you reboot the Core machine is there any improvement to the speed of Discover?

Is there any other slowness you’re seeing in Roon?

Hi @dylan,

I am on the latest version 1.6 (build 416).
I have rebooted everything.
Discover takes 25 seconds. Everything else seems OK.
I have a slow Internet connection (10Mb) but that was always the case and I did not have this problem half a year ago.

Hi @Arie_van_Boxel,

Just to verify, this is still occurring with all remote devices? No difference at all in the time it takes on any device?

@dylan,

Yes, this is happening on all devices.

Thanks, @Arie_van_Boxel.

Moving forward, I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account. First, I was hoping you could do the following:

• Reboot the Core machine
  • Navigate to Discover
  • Make a note of the time the page starts loading and how many seconds it takes to load

Respond here with the timestamp and how long it takes and we will enable diagnostics so the team can take a look.

Thanks @dylan,

It takes 20.84 seconds before Discover shows up.

Hi @Arie_van_Boxel,

Can you provide the time that you opened up Discover here?

Sorry @dylan,

I have done the test again.
Time: 19:47:10 (France, GMT+1)
Duration: 20:64 secs

Thanks, @Arie_van_Boxel!

Diagnostics have been enabled and once the report has been received I’ll be sure to pass it along to the team for analysis. Once I’ve received their feedback I’ll follow up ASAP.

In addition to the diagnostics report, could you provide some additional information about your Core machine? What kind of NUC are you using?

Regarding your network, are there any other networking devices in place besides the Orange Livebox router?

I think the slow search & discovery issues are common across a spectrum of devices, network.

Asking the user to generate this diagnostic report is not very useful, I think Roon dev/QA can find or reproduce the problems themselves easily, it is very evident when Tidal, Qobuz are both subscribed in the same system.

Discovery normal again!

I have bought a new NAS and moved my music library from the old to the new one.
Therefore I had to adjust the paths in Roon. After that Roon started to import my library again, what took some time.
But now, to my surprise, Discovery works like a charm.

I assume Roon has build a new index, which solved the problem.

Alas,
I had to restart ROCK because Roon could not find the zone anymore.
After the restart the Discovery is slow again. Over 20 seconds to show for the first time.

Still suffering the very slow Discovery.
Am I the only one with this problem?

Absolutely not - I actually do not use it anymore, since it is often so slow and annoying.

I know now, how I have to speed up my very slow Discover option.
Probably it is my network configuration that is the real culprit for the long delay. I need a special setup because Roon Server doesn’t play nice with my Livebox Play from Orange (a French internet provider).
Accidentally is have discovered, that going to History solves the problem.
Yes, I know this sounds weird, but I have tested it several times (for example after a power failure). It always works.

Thank you, Arie!

This worked for me too.

@support, any idea why this is (and how to get it to work without doing this)

?

I wonder if this may be related to the DNS servers Orange uses?
Do you know if you can change the DNS servers on your router to something else, like Google’s (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)?
If this can’t be done on the Orange router, there may be another way, but I’m sorry I don’t know how to do that.

1 Like

@grossmsj, this is not possible. The Orange DNS servers are fixed.
The above mentioned ‘fix’ is fast and simple.
And very strange!

Thank you, Scott.

I can change my DNS server. If I can find the time, I’ll try it and let you know what happened.

Using @Arie_van_Boxel’s fix in the meantime.

It’s weird, but it works.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.