Discover very slow

Intel NUC running ROCK Version 1.0 (build 174)

Since some time (Roon 1.6?) the Discover option in Roon is very slow. The first time selected it takes at least 20 seconds before the screen is shown. Also Overview takes some time, but not as much as Discover.
This happens on all my devices: iMac, iPad, Android phone.
My library is about 600 albums and comes from a QNAP NAS and Qobuz.

I live in France and Roon doesn’t play nice with the Orange Livebox and TV-box (see https://community.roonlabs.com/t/livebox-orange-conflict/5129). Maybe this has something to do with the slowness.

This problem wasn’t there say a half year ago. I haven’t changed anything in my network setup. Disabling Qobuz does not make a difference.

What version of Roon are your running? Settings>General>About (in the upper right corner). You can also see this on your ROCK GUI under Roon Server Software.
Build 416 fixes some of the search-related bugs. Problems still exist that Roon is working on.

Build 416 does not fix these issues for me . At times search is so bad I stop doing it . This needs attention from roon as it’s been a long time with this issue

Yep, I know. But it also helped a lot of folks, and you don’t know where anyone is until you ask.

On all devices I run the latest version. On the iMac that’s Roon 1.6 (build 416).
But as it is the same on all devices, I suspect the problem is inside the core. In my case that is ROCK.

Does no one else have this problem?

Yes had it when search was really slow, that’s improved recently but still far from stellar. I’ve always found Discover to be a little slow though.

Hi @Arie_van_Boxel,

Can you verify that you’re on the latest version of Roon?

If you reboot the Core machine is there any improvement to the speed of Discover?

Is there any other slowness you’re seeing in Roon?

Hi @dylan,

I am on the latest version 1.6 (build 416).
I have rebooted everything.
Discover takes 25 seconds. Everything else seems OK.
I have a slow Internet connection (10Mb) but that was always the case and I did not have this problem half a year ago.

Hi @Arie_van_Boxel,

Just to verify, this is still occurring with all remote devices? No difference at all in the time it takes on any device?

@dylan,

Yes, this is happening on all devices.

Thanks, @Arie_van_Boxel.

Moving forward, I’d like to enable some diagnostics on your account. First, I was hoping you could do the following:

• Reboot the Core machine
  • Navigate to Discover
  • Make a note of the time the page starts loading and how many seconds it takes to load

Respond here with the timestamp and how long it takes and we will enable diagnostics so the team can take a look.

Thanks @dylan,

It takes 20.84 seconds before Discover shows up.

Hi @Arie_van_Boxel,

Can you provide the time that you opened up Discover here?

Sorry @dylan,

I have done the test again.
Time: 19:47:10 (France, GMT+1)
Duration: 20:64 secs

Thanks, @Arie_van_Boxel!

Diagnostics have been enabled and once the report has been received I’ll be sure to pass it along to the team for analysis. Once I’ve received their feedback I’ll follow up ASAP.

In addition to the diagnostics report, could you provide some additional information about your Core machine? What kind of NUC are you using?

Regarding your network, are there any other networking devices in place besides the Orange Livebox router?

I think the slow search & discovery issues are common across a spectrum of devices, network.

Asking the user to generate this diagnostic report is not very useful, I think Roon dev/QA can find or reproduce the problems themselves easily, it is very evident when Tidal, Qobuz are both subscribed in the same system.

Discovery normal again!

I have bought a new NAS and moved my music library from the old to the new one.
Therefore I had to adjust the paths in Roon. After that Roon started to import my library again, what took some time.
But now, to my surprise, Discovery works like a charm.

I assume Roon has build a new index, which solved the problem.

Alas,
I had to restart ROCK because Roon could not find the zone anymore.
After the restart the Discovery is slow again. Over 20 seconds to show for the first time.

Still suffering the very slow Discovery.
Am I the only one with this problem?