Discovering great production sonics

Let’s share those recordings by an elite group of technically-gifted producers and engineers who create outstandingly satisfying hifi musical experiences:

Manfred Eicher’s (ECM) many pristine productions are obvious examples. I’m also looking for treasures by people like Jan-Eric Perrson (opus 3) or Takeshi Fujii (Three Blind Mice).

What are your spectacular sonic discoveries? I’d love to find great new music (new to me anyway) that also thrills with technical brilliance. Production by Mark Waldrep? Morten Lindberg?

2 Likes

This is an interesting topic and I am sorry to not have seen it before today.

As to great production, I recommend having a look at the Yarung catalogue. The recordings are consistently well mastered and of great sound quality.

Thanks for the recommendation; Yarung is a definite find!

Today I’ve been enjoying that label’s Sophisticated Ladies Jazz and the Lifeline quartet, available from Qobuz. Both groups were recorded live in great acoustic spaces in the L.A. area using a single stereo microphone and custom tube gear.

Chesky Records and Soundkeeper Recordings have done similar one-take-without-overdubs-or-compression work in New York.

1 Like

Don’t know if you like percussion, but I recommend you listen to ‘Smoke and Mirrors’ albums on Yarung… it’s amazing…

Hoping to revive this topic after many months and a few great new discoveries:

Yarlung Records is also represented via Qobuz and TIDAL by pianist Yuki Mabuchi.

Sound Liaison has been recording sonically excellent “one mic” performances by artists such as Carmen Gomes Inc. and Feenbrothers using the Josephson C700S stereo condenser microphone.

Other hi-res sources include Reference Recordings, 2L, and NativeDSD. Others to report?

I am most recently listening to traditionally made, but still high quality, recordings of European jazz trios, mainly by the Munich-based ECM and ACT labels: Alboran, Stefano Bollani, Emil Brandqvist, Jakob Bro, Arve Henriksen, Julia Hülsmann, Helge Lien, Martin Tingvall, and Michael Wollny.

If you haven’t already, I suggest you explore the Dutch trtpk label

I’ve been impressed with http://www.2l.no recordings

Paul Berner Band has released a couple through Sound Liaison, including this beautifully recorded Road To Memphis