Discrepancies between Roon and MediaMonkey DB statistics

Go to the Album browser - select all your Albums (Ctrl-A on a windows machine), click the “3 dots” menu at the top of the screen and choose Export.

Well that was easy!

Thank you

1 Like

I have over 50 genre’s of music. I don’t have a count of the box sets but it’s well north of 100. Some box sets have multiple artist represented. I don’t have any group albums that meet your Simon & Garfunkle example. I have edited a lot of the metadata in MM for consistency. Even music that comes tagged I check for consistency. Been doing it for more than 20 years so it’s pretty accurate though I’m sure there are errors. I’m trying to work with the data exports from Roon & MM to find some of the things that have been suggested here. I’ll update when I make some progress. Thanks for the suggestions!

If you have manually groomed metadata on boxes , be aware of …

1. if you file structure is say CD1 - Beethoven x, CD2 - Brahms y
    Roon will see that as 2 albums and split them then probably struggle to ID them

If the structure is a bare CD1, CD2 … CDx then Roon will try to group them BUT see 2)

1. if a box has the Album tag set to a different value per disc it will confuse Roon .

To properly import a box , set folder names to CD1 etc and all [album] tags set to the same value’ eg Alfred Brendel : Complete Philips Recordings . Roon will group them and probably ID

Splitting boxes into “pseudo albums” often fails

With a 100+ boxes that may well account for some of the differences

There is a Knowledge Base article on this subject

I edit the boxsets based on how they’re organized. I also eliminate subdirectories by renumbering the tracks on each CD. Disc1 Track 01 becomes 101, 02 becomes 102… In your example “Alfred Brendel : Complete Philips Recordings” the album names are all the same. However with Woody Guthrie My Dusty Road set each CD has a unique name; Woody’s Greatest Hits; Woody’s Roots; Woody The Agitator; Woody, Cisco and Sonny. Another example of that is the John Coltrane Prestige Sessions where I’ve tagged the tracks with the actual album names. These appear as seperate albums in both MM & Roon.

Do you have a link to the KB article?

Does Roon recognize the 101 102 format ?

I use that format to sort into Folders but then I renumber back to 1, 2 etc

I use Tag & Rename its great little tool

If the album name is the same throughout , did Roon bulk it as a 114 CD set… It may take manual ID though depending on track time matches I found.

PS in terms of album counts , do you have many where you have 2 or 3 versions , Roon will bulk those by default then show as 1 album but 3 versions etc so affecting the album count !!

Not on the main homepage it shows the full count only on album or track view does the show hidden albums or tracks come into play.

You can easily find unidentified albums via the album browers, choose focus and in the drop down you can find one that says identified, click on it to add it then invert the focus by clicking on the +and it will show one’s Roons failes to identified.

You learn something new every day, I thought the home page showed albums including versions

Not unless you change the default in Settings > General to show hidden albums and tracks…

It does it include all versions all the time in the count, only the albums view count changes with those settings. This is why users often get confused over the differences between the two counts.

Yup - it’s the Album browser where the count changes according to the setting; that wasn’t clear enough in my previous post…

Here’s the latest. I decided to narrow my focus to box sets and then picked the artist i have the most of the Grateful Dead. Right off the bat I found that in Roon the Complete Filmore West set didn’t have all the tracks. Disc 1 shows only track 1 but should have 3 tracks. I went to MM which shows all 3 tracks however they were in different directories. This must have happened when I ripped the set. So despite having the same Album name in the tag Roon doesn’t group them as an album. Still digging…

L:\Music\Sonny Williamson - Fillmore West 1969 - the Complete Recordings\01 - Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl .flac
L:\Music\Jerry Garcia-Robert Hunter - Fillmore West 1969 - the Complete Recordings\02 - Doin’ That Rag .flac
L:\Music\Jerry Garcia-Bill Kreutzmann-Bob Weir - Fillmore West 1969 - the Complete Recordings\03 - That’s It for the Other One-Cryptical Envelopement-The Other One-Cryptical Envelopement .flac

@Geoff_Coupe,
The 3 tracks listed have the same album name but Roon only listed the first track? All 3 are in different directories(my ripping error) but they’re tagged with identical Album names. Does Roon care about directory names?

It depends - AFAIK Roon uses a variety of techniques, including metadata, to identify albums.

For Box sets, you really should group the tracks of each CD in their own folder named CDnn where nn is the disc number, with these folders in a folder that is given the name of the box set.

See:

Is there any way to force it to just use the metadata from my personal library?

Hah - just replied to someone else about this…

and I’m a pig headed Irishman so this is a match made in heaven!

@John_O_Connor - how are things going? Are there still discrepancies, or have things got to a point where we can close this Support request? Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.