DLNA/UPnP support would be really nice [Not on the roadmap]

Thanks for responding @brian. I understand. But is it the same issues with ASIO?

I only brought up WDM because superficially roon seemed to work better. But roon is doing a lot of ASIO successfully to a lot of devices. Is JRiver ASIO something worth resurrecting? At home I use HQPlayer for marginal improvements on a goodish audiophile system. I think that segment would not have much of an issue using JRiver on the road in much the same way, but for access to low end consumer DNLA devices. It sounds also that there is a segment for high end DNLA access at home.

Hard to say for sure. Not sure anyone here has tried it.

I recommend starting with baby steps. Try redirecting through JRiver ASIO to System Output before adding UPnP into the mix.

The thing is that anyone coming from JRiver immediately sees JRiver ASIO as an (un-enabled) endpoint. So that part of the functionality exists. But from what you are saying that was probably from years ago. All I did was enable it.

I already started in baby steps trying to get system out working before UPnP. I couldnā€™t rule out I was doing something wrong so I ended up raising a support ticket. The details are here:

From what you are saying, the answer to my question is that, no, JRiver ASIO is not supported, mainly because no one was asking for it. But I imagine a lot of these things are moving targets. So maybe a better question I should have asked is,

ā€œIf there has been a lot of sunk effort, half getting JRiver ASIO working, is there a DNLA business case to complete the task?ā€

It doesnā€™t look like this is going to work. Upnp expects a file streamed to the player and as far as I can see thereā€™s no way to redirect the incoming stream from roon to Upnp as a file.

And as far as Iā€™m concerned this whole discussion is going nowhere. Clearly Roon just wonā€™t support it, their choice.

@brian: You say you might lose customers (or not draw in new ones) if Roon gets too complicated. Well, in this case youā€™ve lost one due to not supporting a widespread protocol which is used by almost all audio manufacturers. RAAT just isnā€™t implemented on enough devices and as long as it stays this way I guess Roon will be a niche product which is a real pity because it has so much going for it.

I donā€™t want to hook up some other device to my network player just to get Roon working and miss some of the nicer features of my player, such as metadata display with coverart and just have it displaying ā€œUSB inputā€ Roon can control my Sonos play 5, my playbar and do just about everything I want, but when it comes to sitting down and just enjoying music on my main system Roon canā€™t do it other than through Airplay or hooking up another device to my player. All I want is one application I can run all my audio through and which will use the capabiliies of my system. For now I donā€™t think itā€™s here yet. JRiver could do this all for me, but itā€™s hopelessly complicated (not technically but the user interface) and just isnā€™t stable enough.

JRiver does DLNA, Audirvana does DLNA, all network players support DLNA, Roon wonā€™t. OK, clear, case dismissed.

Audirvana is coming out with a Windows version soon, I guess Iā€™ll be checking that out.

Brian, thanks for the support and clear answers. Iā€™d rather hear a clear NO than to be holding out for something that will never comeā€¦

1 Like

Bluesound donā€™t support DLNA/UPnP, though I guess quite a few UPnP devices are now supporting Roon. Still very much in a minority though?

DLNA disappointed me many years ago with a Philips Streamium system they could never make work well. Same for many other UPNP systems I tried. From that point I understand Roonā€˜s point not willing to support it. This I got clear in other threads before. The same for what has been requested here and in other threads regarding allowing extensions to input into Roon. I agree with you that this is a missed window for Roon to become a more significant player in streaming, but itā€˜s their decision. I suffer with keeping Roon as my main control SW in a Devialet Phantom ā€šuniverseā€˜ hoping Devialet will add RAAT in the future to the Phantom line. So for now Iā€˜m hoping URL play in hires will be added, so e.g. Qobuz could be qweezed into Roon to be delivered to endpoints and my system gets RAAT as endpoint. But maybe try to add a RPi3 with a Digi+ card for less than 80 Euros to your system to enjoy the UI that Roon provides.

I am in exactly the same situation except i let my Roon subscription lapse 3 months ago, as it was not compatible with my Cambridge 851n. Very familiar with rpi options as i had maintained a separate endpoint in another system. I as well wont bother to complicate my 851n setup with throwing another point in the mix. I understand that Roon has given a firm NO to the future possinility of upnpā€¦ My only hope is that Cambridge will come around. They have just announced Tidal integration, which frankly is a bigger deal for me,and it does offer faint hope.

Not been part of this on-going conversation, but just wanted to stick my oar in anyway :slight_smile:

At first I was surprised that Roon didnā€™t have any plans for DLNA/UPnP support and it forced me to re-evaluate how I deal with my end points. Previously I had been using a mix of AirPlay and DLNA (for hires).

However since subscribing to Roon and sorting out my RAAT end points the experience is so much better than with any of my UPnP devices. Frankly Iā€™d rather have a RPi hanging out of the back of my amp/DAC simply to avoid UPnP. Just the responsiveness of the Roon controllers is enough to make me never want to go back, let alone the improvement in SQ over DLNA (and AirPlay for that matter).

1 Like

Iā€™ll stick my oar in tooā€¦ There was a time (starting back in 2009) when I was very enthusiastic about DLNA/UPnP, and saw it as essential. I soon discovered there was many a slip 'twixt cup and lip.

Microsoft had a go of supporting it in Windows 7, and they had some knowledgeable people in the development team, but with the arrival of Windows 8, and then Windows 10, it became clear that theyā€™d given up trying to support it in any meaningful manner. I think they realised how imperfect the standard was, and what a can of worms the implementations proved to be.

DLNA/UPnP implementations are still present or available in all of the stuff I use today, but since RAAT came on the scene, Iā€™ve moved to that and havenā€™t looked back since.

1 Like

I recently replaced the kitchen hifi with a Denon DM41 mini-system. It sits on a small table about a foot square on top. I really wanted a ā€˜one boxā€™ solution for appearance sake, so I built a small hidden shelf at the back of the table (underneath supported by the legs) to house the Pi. It is hidden and feeds the Denon via optical link and works fine. Sorry, donā€™t have a picture to hand.

1 Like

I ALSO HAVE A CAMBRIDGE mine IS A CXN but i have added a sotm sms200 with power by Sbouster and it sounds fantastic.
I use a Samsung 18 inchtablet and so sitting in my living room my roon is totally accessable and sounds great.
The Sotm sms200 is a roon end point ther are other things you can try but i also love the cambridge functions specially their interne radio.

Get an Sotm sms200 this is a roon end point and connect it to USB set to usb2 sounds fantastic forget DLNA use the Sotm listen to it sing

Hi Michael

I am in the same boat with a CXN , but at 67 my ears are shot not to mention long headphone Zeppelin sessions

Good news in the mail last week, coming soon Tidal support on Cambridge Audio

I think no DNLA is a marketting oops. In South Africa as far as I know thereā€™s are very few Roon Certified devices even available

It seems another ever increasing nail ā€¦

Mike

1 Like

Michael

Just a thought you say JRiver is complicated. I agree the main app is but with correct config of views JRemote is clean and simple

I assume you have tried JRemote, CA Connect is capable but primitive compared with JRemote.

I put a lot of tagging effort in especially in Classical stuff, creating custom tags and custom views takes a bit of effort but pays in the long run

Mike

1 Like

Hi All,

Just adding my 2 cents, I found myself in a similar situation with my 851N. I love the artwork display and how much better it made Spotify sound. I used JRiver, and spent a good amount of time tagging and locating artwork. It wasnā€™t bad, but I found myself spending more time doing that, instead of actually enjoying music. Enter Roonā€¦which to me, was a vastly better user experience. The discovery features sent me on music paths through my library I could not have thought up on my own. Roon helps me enjoy music I own. While I enjoyed the 851N for Spotify, after experiencing Roon, that just wasnā€™t enough (especially for the price I paid the 851N).

Now Iā€™m enjoying Roon pipping music to an Emotiva XMC-1 through a Digi+, and the 851N just hit Craigslist. It will help pay for a lifetime roon membership :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve set this thread to close in 24 hours so that continued discussion doesnā€™t mask Brianā€™s response ruling out this Feature Request.

1 Like