Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

I believe your assertion about European power is wrong. Jump over onto the PS Audio forums. There are some examples of very dirty and unreliable power discussed there. US power (I have SCE in SoCal) is pretty clean. Only issues I’ve dealt with with is excessive voltage delivery that my regens have stepped down.

2 Likes

Europe is a pretty big place, just like US. too much variables, power over land, power under ground. old grids, new grids. old houses with old cable network, old houses with new cable network, new houses with new cable network. differences between cable thickness etc etc.

Seems like a difficult and exhausting task making others understand why it wouldn’t or would be better in your own typical situation.

example I live in the same area for almost 20 years, I used to live 70m down the street and did have terrible power, more than twice I had to buy a new iMac because of the psu breaking down and frying the logic board, right now I have the cleanest power I could wish for.
to comeback to your question; do power cables make a difference? I think this would be best :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, power cable can make a huge difference in sound quality. I played with some and I can tell you if you find the right cable(s) for your system, you can achieve a significant SQ improvement. But again, synergy matters. I have good experience with old copper cables (age has a role), but with more expensive solutions as well.

And why the last few feets matters? You can find an article on lessloss website. No, I don’t use lessloss cables, and I have no interest in it. Just don’t want to steal their images about this. Scroll down on the page until: Power lines run for hundreds of miles, so how could a six foot power cord make any difference?
https://www.lessloss.com/dfpc-series-p-213.html

Importance of power cables nowdays are much more accepted then a decade ago. You can make your relatively good cable for small money.

5 Likes

Why 6 feet? Would 1 feet not be enough or 0.1 feet? Should also do the trick for lesser money. Please explain. How short could it be, is 1mm enough?

6 Likes

It is not an article, it is an advertisment on a website that try to sell you their products.

2 Likes

My experience based on what I hear, which is the standard that matters to me, is that both AC and DC power cables can have a material positive impact on the sound of a digital system as well as an analog sound system.
Here’s a video by a dealer I’ve worked with over the years that describes a recommended Roon based digital system.

I have this set up and I am getting spectacular results, far better than what I’ve heard from the 6 figure, top of the line, 4 box digital stacks.

If you don’t wish to believe cables matter you’re more than welcomed to do so.
But if you’re curious and sound quality enhances your enjoyment of listening to music at home then there’s much to learn and plenty of trustworthy people to learn from.

1 Like

It’s my experience that having an amplifier with a robustly designed power supply fed by a dedicated 20 amp line bested any power conditioners and cables that I have tried in the past.
Having said that I do use some Shunyata signal level cables and i’m happy with the results.
:smiley:

1 Like

Amateur hour. Unless you’re running three-phase power you have no idea what you’re missing! :wink:

3 Likes

Where are you located? Thanks…

Japan is the one with the crazy power situation…different HZ cycle levels…

Hence the HiFi Audiophile FUSE it won’t stop…

But the bottom line is if you (not directed at the quoted poster) want to try these things and they make you happy and you think you hear a benefit then do it…its your money, time and setup. Do what you want.

7 Likes

If you’re going to upgrade your power cord, you’ll also be needing a matching outlet and fuse. It never stops!

https://www.russandrews.com/eu/#

Good outlets make a good connection. A $10 buck Hubbell or Leviton does the trick on the special connections. I replaced all of the outlets and all of the switches in my 20 year old house (over the course of time). The original 39 cent switches and outlets sucked. Many of them broke since the housings were all plastic.

For about $2-3 each you can install pretty good quality switches and receptacles. Some people swear by the fuse thing. I’m not convinced about fuses. Blowing a $100 fuse wouldn’t be much fun.

1 Like

Power conditioning? Well, OK, that’s a thing. Power cables? Well, that’s a whole 'nother thing.

2 Likes

I’m located in holland

1 Like

Belief is not the operative wording. The difference made in the last few feet is demonstrative, and I’ve heard it for myself.

2 Likes

Fine, so maybe you can answer my question.

6 Likes

Not good enough. It has been known for some time that perceptions are often biased by preconceived ideas. Simply, if you think you have made an improvement you will likely hear it whether it is objectively there or not. The only way to test things like this is with double blind tests with a large sample size. This has been done and the subjects showed no ability to detect differences in power cables. Of course with all such tests, true believers will make all sorts of excuses for their failure… For a good laugh see James Randi’s tests of water diviners in Australia.

5 Likes

I don’t really need a high-end power cord for my transistor AM radio either. :grinning:

1 Like

Yes they do. I have now changed all mine to HiDiamond PC Diamond 3

lol…“not good enough”…why does he need to prove anything to anyone here?? He knows his own system and he hears a difference, job done.

5 Likes