Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

The question is not whether cables make a subjective difference, but whether they make an objective difference in reality. There is an additional factor at work, which is that when you have bought into these scams, of which there are many, it is very hard to admit to yourself that you were wrong. Hence in this case people “hear” improvements that are not there. All this is basic science and is why we need repeatable and verifiable data, not subjective impressions. Hence double blind testing. But, you need some humility to accept that you may be wrong, and humility is not a common human virtue.

6 Likes

A long time ago I did work as IT guy in a company which did do research on supraconduction. The collegues there did write the name of the company with atoms and similar things.

That time the discussion about cables came up. (yes, it is a long time) I was always in audio and I also did try different cables, and funny enough, there were differences. So I was asking the physicists and mathematicians there, why this can be.

First they have been laughing about me, but then we started to seriously research. On audio cables (device and speaker) you always have LCR (inductivity, capacity and resistance) which gives a high-pass or low-pass filter or can produce phase shifts. Knowing the impedance of the devices you can calculate how a cable behaves.

With the power cables it was much more difficult. What we found out that the interaction with other devices made the difference. If you use thicker diameters and plug the cables into the same extension it is measurable, that leakage current and potential differences were using the ground lead of the powercable instead of the signal ground. So basically the reduced resistance of the ground lead gives you an advantage.

It is again the same as everywhere. Some devices are properly designed, then the difference is very small to not existent, with others it makes a bigger difference.

I still build my own power cables. But it is nothing fancy, just a bigger diameter than regular cables. They are just as long as required. I use a power conditioner. Everything is plugged into the same (optimized) extension box.

And I check that my signal cables do not run in parallel with the power cables. I have a bundle of power cables and a bundle of signal cables.

What I do not believe is the marketing bla bla of super duper hyper. But my observervation is that in most cases, when people use special power cables they also pay attention, they have no mess with the cables behind the rack, they use short cables, they have often one high quality extension box. And this is finally favorable.

8 Likes

If someone likes their pricey upgraded cables that’s dandy. I happen to like mine. Mostly vintage Cardas or homemade Furutechs. (Good wire with good connectors).

I’m not trying to convince anybody of anything and I don’t need a double blind test to enjoy my gear.

2 Likes

But none of that demonstrates that you could, in practice, tell the difference between a fancy cable of any sort and a kettle lead.

1 Like

No you don’t. But the question here is “do power cables make a difference to sound quality” not whether you have an emotional attachment to your power cables :).

2 Likes

I have an emotional attachment to my dogs, not my power cables. :dog::dog::dog:

I think you are just trying to stir things up. You’re definitely off to a good start.

5 Likes

No I can’t. But it makes me feel good.

If I leave the room, came back after some time, I would not notice, if somebody changed the cable to a regular one.

I agree, if it is 2$ more ok. If it is 500$ more, you make somebody else happy.

2 Likes

No, I’m really not trying to stir things up. I just think that these audio myths, which pervade the industry, are very anti productive, make it harder to evaluate audio and provide an occupation for charlatans, even if they aren’t quite as damaging as believing blood transfusions are evil or something like that. If we put critical and scientific thinking into the school curriculum at an early stage, the world would be a hugely better place.

10 Likes

I agree with that, quality is good. It is only when the only “improvement” in a component is in fact snake oil, that I have a problem.

1 Like

I’ve grown weary of the discussion. Good luck on the forums.

2 Likes

You make me laugh…just because you don’t want to believe/try them out, we who have tried and hear a difference are making it up!!! Ive had three different makes of power cables Russ Andrews, Isotek and now HiDiamond and all three have different characteristics.

It seems to me that it boils down to money vs performance for most people here. If you “think” the gain/cost doesn’t stack up for you “think” its snake oil due.

You have no idea what systems these people have, so I don’t know how you can call them liars. Only you know your system

2 Likes

Try not to misrepresent what I have said: I’m not calling them liars as I have already made clear. I am saying that subjective perception is not reliable and surely that is indisputable and the source of many audio and other myths. We could be having just such a discussion about a host of other such issues, where people imagine that their own perception is all that is necessary to establish objective truth. And the fact remains that when this has been actually tested with sensible controls, noone was able to tell the different cables apart.

3 Likes

This is unreasonable. As soon as I adopted subjective perceptions, a veil was lifted off the audio. The transients were more transient, the treble was silky and smooth, and my hamburger was more savory and juicier.

5 Likes

So basically you need to be told “scientifically” that anything isn’t “snake oil” before you are able to tell the difference. By that measure, you are also then listening for that difference (because it proven that there is ) even if its not there.

I just go by my ears. No its nothing to do with “ive spent loads of money so I have to justify it”, I use companies that let you demo. Not everything is great, some are worse, some are better.

Keep an open mind and you just might like it

1 Like

Then you should bring them back and get a refund. a power cable with a sound characteristic is defect.

9 Likes

Or the electronics for allowing the SQ to be externally influenced through the power supply rails.

4 Likes

Here’s an article by Kurt Denke, the founder of Blue Jeans Cable on how a power cable cannot make any difference (as long as the gauge is sufficient for the load): https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/power-cables

3 Likes

There many pages of how it shouldn’t and as many I bet on how it seems to.

Get over all this folks!!! If someone wants to try one and likes it then let them, its their money, their system, and their opinion! Respect it.

4 Likes

But look at the title of the thread. Is the answer, then, “whatever you think?” There isn’t an actual truth?

1 Like

not defective at all ….try some yourself

1 Like