Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

I have different power cables here and thanks god none of them has an influence on the sound of my gear.
They only do what they are build for, transport the power to the devices. Nothing else and I like it.

I have the Next Great Idea. How about we all pitch in a few hundred $$ and create an Audiophile Power Company?

We can charge a 10x premium per filtered, cryo-treated kilowatt. It will be directional, and then we can charge for different levels of blue, red, and black electrons.

The electrons will have to burn-in before the improvements will be noticeable.

4 Likes

@James_I

Do you use a conditioner or regenerator? I know you think the power management thing is a bunch of hooey, but I have two regenerators. They certainly keep the line noise down. Line distortion is measurable.

Hi Robert. I have two Monster Power line conditioners, which I got quite cheaply or I wouldnā€™t have bought them. Mostly I was interested in using them as surge protectors and the bonus is they show the ridiculous over-voltage that our local power company puts on our line.

I did hear the demo at my audio store where turning on and off the conditioner was demonstrated by static coming from an internal speaker in the demo unit being silenced.

However, I honestly do not detect any difference in sound quality when these units are in-line. To me they are just fancy surge protection power strips.

2 Likes

You might want to demo a regeneratorā€¦

Iā€™d rather just replace any faulty equipment that is so flaky that it canā€™t handle mains power. Effective power supply isolation was a solved problem 50 years ago.

@nugget

Have you demoed a regenerator? OK either way, but regenerators are very useful items. Iā€™ve bought two of them. I have good quality equipment and the power source is where things start. The equipment downstream isnā€™t flakey, but improved by a cleaner source of power. Itā€™s no different in concept than cleaner water or cleaner air.

Welcome to the forumsā€¦

@James_I

What kind of over voltages are you getting? I had a similar problem, and reported it to SCE, my electrical provider on two occasions. One case involved a faulty part at the local switching station intended to boost voltages during periods of high demand. Problem was the faulty component wouldnā€™t disengage, and 135 volts incoming isnā€™t a real good thing. The other time was incoming of 127 volts, which only a touch high but in excess of the maximum voltage specs.

My mains power is within spec and all my equipment is operational so I would not see any difference from using a regenerator. If you have really dodgy power or flaky components I can see how one might be useful.

Well you might hear oneā€¦but as you havenā€™t tried how can you say either way. I havenā€™t tried one either yetā€¦so I am not about tell anyone you wont benefit just because you think your power is fine.

1 Like

How much line distortion do you have? I have very good power with respect to distortion. Around 2% incoming. Outgoing regenerated is 0.1% or 02% depending on what day is it.

If you donā€™t need one great, but you canā€™t assess the benefit since you have not tried one. 30 day free demo if youā€™re in the US from PS Audio. If you tried it, and thought it was worthless, then nothing lost. You could return it and have gained the experience of trying one.

FYI, very few get returned.

Go over the PS Audio forums and ask a few questions. I think you might be surprised.

Just out of curiosity, what do you use to measure the THD on your AC power line?

PS Audio Power Plant regenerators. P12 and P5.

I also have a PS Audio Quintessence conditioner (no regeneration)

The P12 and P5 are on a 20 amp dedicated line.
The Quintessence is on a 15 amp shared line.

Quintessence pictured above - THD 1.8%

@Jacques_Distler

3 Likes

Screenshot P12 Incoming THD 1.3%

Screenshot P12 regenerated THD 0.1%

1 Like

So youā€™re relying on the device itself to tell you what a great job itā€™s doing?

4 Likes

Yes, I do utilize the equipment just as you saidā€¦just like I rely on my speedometer to measure how fast my car is traveling, and my watch to tell time.

The ears confirm better performance with the equipment versus not in use.

4 Likes

I, periodically, check my watch against other clocks to make sure that itā€™s actually telling me the correct time (and is not running too fast or too slow).

YMMV (literally).

3 Likes

Do you verify your speedometer?

Distance in miles / Time in seconds x 3600 (answer in mph)

If my speedometer were significantly off, thereā€™s a traffic cop who would swiftly set me straight.

2 Likes