Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

Number 1, yes it can change the sound

1 Like

This may be relevant to this thread?

Perhaps whatever is causing the intereference with these muons is also fiddling with the power in our cables? And perhaps audiophile cables block the muon fiddlers? We canā€™t know everything!!

(Or perhaps this ā€œevidenceā€ is all bogus, and the good folks at Fermilab need to invest in a quality audiophile cable for their accelerator to get true results?)

:wink:

1 Like

Perhaps we could test the cables with an e-meter, maybe that would help.

Letā€™s stress another analogy:

I am with Edzard Reuter, concluding that homeopathy is bluntly fraud. Placebos on the other hand, proven by legitimate scientific studies do work within their range. Hahnemannā€™s crazy stuff was proven wrong the same way. But placebos come at a reasonable price and are not misleading people into crazy sugar pill cancer therapies that harm or kill in the end.

I am OK with fancy audio gear if we look at it as a placebo. As snake oil customers are probably well off and can deal with their money changing into other pockets - nobody should be harmed. But when evangelizing about the actual things they do deliver: Prove it or enjoy in silence.

7 Likes

There have been lots of comments in this thread that should have been the last word on the subject, but thatā€™s a another really good one :smiley:

1 Like

ouch :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I feel like starting another thread on cable risers could make my day perfect ā€¦ :100:

2 Likes

With all the respect and thanks to @Douglas_Henning he is (was?) the last of the Mohicans holding the flag for audiphile power cables. We had great discussion I think :electric_plug: :musical_note: :loud_sound:

edit: So we close this topic with conclusion that power cords donā€™t have impact to sound quality? :rofl:

3 Likes

Close it? Absolutely not. Iā€™ve planned the next five years of my life to make sure I have time to contribute to this thread :wink:

5 Likes

Youā€™re as addicted as I am to this subject? :grin:
I was sad weā€™re endingā€¦

2 Likes

I just recently read xlr-cable comparison thread from pro-audio forum. A member bought Grimm audio xlr-cables and compared them in his studio environment to Mogami cables. He heardā€¦ sorry, imagined differences between the cables.

When I looked into Isoacoustics isolators for my speakers, most of the rave reviews were from pro-audio community using their isolators. But isolation vs coupling is another topic completely. Though itā€™s absurd how many people deny difference between isolation and coupling, usually the same people who deny all the other differences also. These are even measurable.

Iā€™m entirely open to isolation and coupling effects and own a set of Isoacoustic feet for my speaker stands which I believe make a difference. Thereā€™s at least some rational theory behind isolation. Iā€™ve no idea as to whether measurements back my belief up, hence itā€™s just that. I also believe that DACs sound different as well, but again no evidence to support my belief. Iā€™m still firmly in the cables make no difference camp, the lack of any rational or measurements to support their use is whyā€¦

1 Like

I will posit one last thing that occurred to me: how many of you believe the internal wiring and power structure of an audio device makes a difference to the sound quality? (I do)

And couldnā€™t the power cable (and fuse) be an extension of the care (or not) put into the internal wiring of a device? And then by further extension the outlet, conditioner, dedicated circuit, transformer, battery pack or how ever one receives the power for the device? Why shouldnā€™t/couldnā€™t it be considered as a complete package of power delivery (which is essentially what hifi is) end to end vs cable stop/device begin?

Iā€™ve stayed out of the thread a bit, but this argument extends all the way back to the power station. Most devices have some kind of transformer/PSU on board and thatā€™s probably where to concentrate. I expect the manufacturer to make the appropriate choice there.

Of course one could extend it there, but perhaps thatā€™s why (some of us) try and ameliorate it with steps in-between. I would assume the power coming from the plant changes some when it hits the circuit panel in your home. Just trying to come up with something constructive other than the ā€˜I can hear it/Itā€™s all in your headā€™ back and forth. But otherwise Iā€™m out - too much to do and feeling a bit too anxiety ridden at the moment to continue with this getting nowhere discussion. Best to you, CP

Maybe pictures can help. See my brave old Lindemann amp 4.99. Quite high-endish back in the days. Still a pleasure to listen to. Came with an almost fancy shielded power cable. Now take a look how this continues inside. Still, a very decent amp which I probably never will let go. Itā€™s f***ing beautiful too.

2 Likes

Nice. I use a vintage Naim 160 (bolt down case) myself, probably from about '71-73. When I got it last year the power cable it came with was of dubious quality imo (old bakelite bulgin connector, 18awg, molded plug, etc) and the amp sounded good, but just a bit off. I replaced it with a Sean Jacobs Custom HiFi cable (only mfg who offers a bulgin I could find) and it made it sound like a rebuilt amp actually. He doesnā€™t make outrageous cables (or claims) just good ones. Naimā€™s have more solder connections than the Lindeman, but I get your point. All I know is what Iā€™ve heard in regards to my own setup.

2 Likes

It sure has been a source of entertainment for many of us :smiley:

3 Likes

False performance claims in product advertising are plentiful, but then so again are media accounts in the daily news, and/or social media outlets. The Babylon Bee satire site is more factual than some of the news outlets. Difficult to know whom to believe anymore.

1 Like

The problem weā€™re all having here is that there isnā€™t any reliable evidence that anything needs to be ameliorated, and in the absence of some agreed upon facts weā€™re just going to go round and round in circles, much as we have done alreadyā€¦

I hope you feel better soon. Take care.