Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

Another point worth mentioning is the hint to what Audio Precision are using. The gold standard of audio measuring gear have standard power cables (CE or UL certified). And we probably can agree that whatever these devices can sense is orders of magnitudes better than human hearing. Again … science.

4 Likes

That of course is the root of the problem here. We have a schism in epistemology here. The root of the objection to this is that Gene isn’t looking for differences with his own mind and ears, using direct experience:

Gene is reasoning from what he “knows” to be true: commonly accepted facts about electrical transmission. He’s using a form of derivative epistemology, deductive reasoning, prevalent since The Enlightenment, but a form which Douglas is unwilling to admit the validity of, much less embrace.

Those of us who find the human mind and its associated senses to be an unreliable trickster of an instrument do of course tend to prefer more impersonal machine-based measurement and reasoning therefrom. But that’s just our epistemological bias.

8 Likes

Boom. End of discussion, I guess; case closed.

1 Like

This question goes back to the time of Michael Faraday. Why does it still get oxygen?

1 Like

Would suggest checking out the great Audiosciencereview site for clarification on this.

Just checking in. Any conclusion? :wink:

3 Likes

I would suggest trusting your ears if you want to buy/keep/try anything be it cables or electronics or speakers or even music formats. If you can’t tell any difference then it doesn’t really matter.

1 Like

That is a huge ask. There’s only a few of us who trust their ears. :eyes:

I trust my ears, but only in a double blind listening session. Too much risk of bias otherwise. It’s very easy to spend money and ‘hear’ the difference simply because of the investment.

7 Likes

@Douglas_Henning: Why? It is the music, it is whether you like/love/enjoy/footap what you are hearing, it is not about bass, mid, treble, how low or how high the hz is going to be.

If you care about noise (bass, mid, treble) then you are missing the point entirely. You are then listening to the sound machine.

2 Likes

Which is the exact reason why in Europe everything sounds 2 times better than in US!

Yes! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: And in Europe our cables generates lower magnetic fields because we can use lower current and we don’t need snake oil super shielded power cables with directional arrows :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Careful! You don’t want to use those cables with directional arrows for alternating current. It goes both ways! They could explode, I’d imagine!

3 Likes

They do. The reason why you don’t hear of that more often sadly is many didn’t make it alive out of their living rooms :sob:

3 Likes

Get an Audioquest Niagara 1200 with Z3 cables and do a blind test.

1 Like

I used to be a disbeliever, but I took a punt and replaced the stock mains cable on my Linn Klimax Kontrol, with a length of Chord Sarum Super ARAY mains cable:

And YES, it has made a positive difference :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice, Martin_kelly. And that is all it takes, just listen for yourself. Enjoy!

2 Likes

I had my tympanic membranes replaced with platinum flecked gossamer. Amazing! But I have to admit, it sounds better in October than June—too humid in June—and oboes resonate a tad more lightly than French horns.

4 Likes

So after how many whiskies did you come up with that?

Sad to see many can’t give into the temptation to travesty this topic.