Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

If there is a short, yes.

1 Like

So now I have to replace the whole wiring in my house?

3 Likes

Not only. Also wires from your fuse box to power plant and isolate them so no one else is connected to them. And donā€™t forget to replace AC wires inside your audio gear - those 10cm from power plug to full wave bridge rectifierā€¦ :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

All time classic. And so true!
Internal wiring inside my old ā€šhigh endā€™ amp. Sounds wonderful btw :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Nope.

[+ pointless characters to meet the minimum]

I believe the current version of Roon is truly power cable agnostic. It appears to have required a lot of purple, but well worth it imho.

Ā£1700, on a punt? on a mains lead?

How much money do you throw about when you use rationale?

Of course it sounds better

2 Likes

I received the mains cable on-loan for evaluation from Peter Swain at Cymbiosis here in the UK.

I kept an open-mind, as I could return the cable at any time. I replaced the stock cable supplied with my Linn Klimax Kontrol with the Chord Sarum Super ARAY mains cable, and just listened.

It took me all of thirty-seconds to realise that this cable was ā€˜a keeperā€™. The difference was profound.

5 Likes

Just wondering why top and most expensive audio gear manufacturers cannot afford to include expensive power cables in packaging. Or they should write in user manual: ā€œeven you bought super high quality product, please consider buying extra power cord, because default one is crap and our sound system will sound even better with 1K$ cablesā€ :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Jan I have heard Paul McGowan say on more than one occasion say that PS Audio consider them courtesy power cableā€™s and they are just to plug in when you get the box home.

Iā€™m not promoting this, just passing along

1 Like

That is impressive ā€“ thirty seconds! Do you think it was carrying more current, or perhaps just carrying it more responsibly, with a better attitude?

5 Likes

Iā€™ve heard Paul McGowan say lots of things. Got enough pitches of salt to clear my driveway for the next ten wintersā€¦

8 Likes

There are already some vendors providing high quality power cables from Audioquest etc with their products.
Unfortunately the majority is too much focused on maximizing their profit margins.

I foolishly took Meridianā€™s advice not to upgrade power cords (or use conditioners) for their very expensive active loudspeakers. Thankfully a dealer persuaded me to try a relatively cheap cable, and Iā€™ve happily joined the Shunyata Fan Boy Army since then.

Too bad I wasted so much time before hearing what an exceptional product can do with clean powerā€¦

1 Like

Knowing this, I would bet that if I looked at the PS Audio Web site, Iā€™d find that Paul McGowan also sells fancy power cables. :slight_smile: Ah, upselling and the art of marketing! Donā€™t forget to have that dealer undercoat applied when you buy your next car, too!

Bill Like I said I was not doing promotion only sharing what was previously said.

Based on everything Paul says I am fairly sure that it is 99% true as well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes I always wonder why people are so reluctant in trying out new things - especially when they can test them (at no cost or obligation) to gain new experiences.

Doesnā€™t that come with the cost of an ā€˜audiophileā€™ cable? I heard those are
expensive.

1 Like

Audiophile power cables are standard 3 core flex with tin foil wrapped around it and an earth cable on the outside grounding it at one end. Or is that me being cynical?

RCA, USB cables will and do alter SQ greater I feel.

A mains conditioner would surely negate the need for vastly expensive cables.

My 3 piece amp cost Ā£2500 and the cables that came with it are probably Ā£5 each at best. They get the job done.

As the photo (above somewhere) of an amps internal wiring shows, which looks no greater than 1.5mm. Theyā€™re single core cables. Nothing fancy.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, no discussion of the art of ethernet cable tuning:

1 Like