Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

Or then we just don’t know how or what to measure yet. Power cables and power strips have clear effect in my system. My Linn streamer/dac/preamp is quite immune and I currently use the stock kettle lead on it but the ATC actives clearly benefit from something higher of quality than the stock kettle lead. Linn uses their Dynamik SMPS in Akurate DSM. But it’s useless to get into this debate anymore. We’ve done it dozen times already.

Btw. Do you believe in differences between analog interconnect cables or XLR vs RCA? Here’s an interesting paper about the subject:

http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Audibility-of-cable-pathways--Kunchur.pdf

There’s something about psychoachoustics and blind testing also. Goes offtopic though, sorry about that.

1 Like

This is a point I’ve raised before in relation to other Snake-Oil related discussions. If you have to add a tweak to improve something that should have been taken care of in the design of a component, then you’re trying to compensate for shonky engineering. If the manufacturer endorses said tweak, then they’re freely admitting that their design is flawed.

I’m not aware of Meridian, or Linn, to offer a further example recommending different power supply cable to “fix” things that are wrong with their equipment.

3 Likes

Linn supply decent quality mains leads and interconnects with their kit. They’re stock power cables are fine, and they’re ‘Silver’ (copper) interconnects are of good quality.

But replacing these supplied stock items with both a Chord Sarum Super ARAY mains cable on the preamp and Atlas Asimi interconnects between my Linn Klimax Kontrol and Klimax DS/3 has transformed this combo in my system. My experience tells me that.

Go figure.

2 Likes

Yes, different interconnects have different electrical characteristics - L, C and R. Significant differences in values can affect a signal’s amplitude and phase and the differences can be audible. They are also measureable.

1 Like

Yea they are measurable

As in measurably identical. Unless a cable is deliberately designed to mess with the sound. There will be no audible difference

1 Like

You might want to read this paper:

http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur/papers/Audibility-of-cable-pathways--Kunchur.pdf

1 Like

This is one of the issues with some high-end cables. Some really are designed to mess with the sound. There are a few around with “black box” networks (filters) added to them. Probably some serious effects on the signal going on there…

3 Likes

Thank you for pointing this out before I watched Paul’s video. I no longer have the need to listen to anything he says.

1 Like

Interesting, but not especially relevant to this discussion: “the two configurations … compared in the listing trials differed only in the choice of analog interconnects”.

They actually tested balanced (A) vs. unbalanced (B) topologies, and balanced was preferred, as it picked up less interference - hardly a new insight:

However, the electrical measurements
conducted here indicate that noise levels may be one
determining factor of sonic performance.

The cables’ characteristic electrical properties varied wildly too:

They plan to test cables of same topology in the future:

A worthwhile future extension of this work, would
be to develop high-performance instrumentation that can
cleanly switch between two single-ended interconnects.
This will allow assessing sonic differences arising from
cables’ transmission characteristics that are unrelated to
topology

EDIT:
:yawning_face:

1 Like

Pretty much what I wrote over a year ago :wink: It’s like people who post this don’t even actually read it.

1 Like

They are also referencing frequency ranges in the MHz range, whereas all of our hearing tops out in the low KHz level.

Thanks for the heads up, I’d not seen that thread. The reference in this post makes interesting reading.

It’s an interesting topic this one. I’ve built a few of Troels Gravesen’s designs:

DIY-Loudspeakers

He discusses break-in of drivers (bass and mid-bass) in a few of his designs and usually measures the T/S parameters of drive units before and after 4 hours of 40Hz “massage”. Basically, driving a high amplitude 40Hz tone into a drive unit to loosen up the suspension. His findings align with Scan-Speak’s comments. Initially, there can be quite a substantial change in parameters, but after initial break-in the parameters remain constant.

It’s the only area of hi-fi where burn-in/break-in is actually a real thing.

2 Likes

Ahh, it was more some of the thoughts on cables in general that had caught my eye here. I’m more than open minded about speaker break in.

Cable burn-in should be filed in the same category as dragons, unicorns, leprechauns and other similarly mythical notions.

3 Likes

But the crystalline micro structures … :rofl:

1 Like

Those are directional :joy:

I find that my system, which I attribute to the speakers, sound a lot better, especially the bass on very hot days. Pure speculation, but I suspect the driver surround is more pliable on hot days, causing the improved response. We are currently experiencing a heat wave, around 40 degrees C and the system sounds incredible. Of course it could very well be psychological, it’s summer in my neck of the woods after all. :wink:

3 Likes

Speaking of wood: why worry about power cabling when there’s this at $3K a piece:

6 Likes