Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

I had both too, but I’ve just procured a Topping E50/L50/PA5 stack for my office setup which replaces my SMSL Sanskrit 10th V2 and a rotel RA-870. There was nothing I didn’t like about the Sanskrit - it’s a very capable DAC, but the Topping Trio is so diminutive and aesthetically appealing that it’s almost sexy…

I really liked the Rotel, but in terms of transparency, lack of distortion and grip on the bassline, The PA5 really shows the old Rotel the door.

5 Likes

I call it Beast II.

It’s constructed of star quad wiring using two 12 AWG conductors for Neutral and two for Hot. There’s also a 10 AWG ground wire wrapped around the cable jacket in the opposite direction as the twisted conductors within the cable. Each of the four 12 AWG conductors is made with 19 strands of 25 AWG bare copper. All the wires are cryogenically treated.

The connectors are Furutech FI-48 NCF Rhodium IEC and a Furutech FI-12(ML) Rhodium.

I am going to use it to power a PS Audio PowerPlant 10.

One of the nice things about hooking these cables up to a Power Regenerator is measuring THD. Measuring THD with a well known cable manufacturer I was getting 4.1% THD into the PP, I swapped it out with Beast I and measured again a few minutes later and saw the THD dropped to 3.6%. I did this several times to make sure I was keeping myself honest.

I’m hoping Beast II is even better. It’s a silly pastime that keeps me out of trouble.

3 Likes

@bulldozer

I am responding late and I agree with you on the choice of terminology. Excuse me, I write and think in French which is a much richer language than English (and what about Russian?!)

So, my intention is to listen to music and to grasp all the richness of the interpretation (of a musician, an orchestra, a singer, an instrument). I personally don’t care if - depending on “the circumstances” - midrange, treble and bass are more or less “this” or “that”. It is always with a sort of dread that I read “audiophiles” looking for this kind of sound manipulation in their room.
What interests me is that the output signal of the amplifier, relayed by the speakers, is as faithful as possible to what the technician has recorded in the studio. If the recording is bad, I’ll hear bad, I’ll say that the technician (or the report) is bad. I will not blame my system and try to change all that when the essential has already been done (I refer you to my system and my listening room somewhere on this forum: Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021-10] - #408 by Steven44)

So let me clarify my thought, yes the sound changes depending on the right power cable from the mains. I meant that the interpretation, the richness of the musical message, its aesthetic sense, etc. are not altered by the right cable. They are magnified. So, yes, in a sense, the sound is changed. But the quality of the music is not. That was the idea. Thank you for reading.

2 Likes

Hmmm. Well, we could argue about that, but hey! Chacun à son goût!

3 Likes

I often think French has that reputation because it was the language of Royal families in Europe for so long :wink: My Russian is better than my French but that’s not saying much. Thanks for the taking the time to reply in English, I think I understand and (mostly) agree with you.

@killdozer

Поверьте мне, у меня был опыт перевода моей французской книги на английский, это было чрезвычайно сложно. Конечно, я не владею шекспировским английским, но все же! :slight_smile:

Я мог бы ответить вам и на русском языке, но я думаю, что все сообщения здесь переведены. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think we’ve established that both your Russian and English are better than my Russian. Your French must be good also if you’ve translated a book. I won’t pretend that I didn’t Google Translate to get to the bottom of some of the message :wink:

1 Like

I just traded in my Qutest for DSD.
My ears like The DSD but the qutest does a pretty good job.
Not a massive upgrade

From Eupedia:
There are about six times more words in the English language than in French. As of 2021 the Complete Oxford Dictionary has 600,000 unique words against 100,000 words (totalling 350,000 meanings) for the Grand Robert (the most complete French dictionary). The majority of the people only know from 15,000 to 30,000 words, and even good writers rarely know more than 50,000 words (in a same language). This gives an idea of the huge diversity of vocabulary and nuances available to users of English.

1 Like

Merveilleux!

1 Like

Innaresin’ line of talk.
Personally, I can’t testify that I hear any difference between a cheap power cord and an expensive one in my hifi but… I do hear a marked difference when I plug the same expensive braided one into my guitar amp.
My theory is that the fewer components between the mains and the speakers, the more impact a power cord has on what comes out of the speakers.
Or… my power chords are just that good, already. :wink:

je suis d’accord

What dac did you get?

PSAUDIO direct stream
Pretty happy with it

1 Like

Science wins again:

3 Likes

If recent threads are anything to go by, science will lose, just as soon as someone who owns an RRG-X3 notices your comment :wink:

1 Like

I suggest you look into swapping out the output transformers to Edcor 4400’s. It’s a remarkable upgrade.

Are you running Sunlight?

Well you should know that it’s the setup that derives the output :wink:

For example, we could take a sampling of 12 AC power products, and test their noise reduction in a laboratory while feeding them signals from a signal generator at a fixed source and load impedance (as is typically done). The problem is we can’t know exactly how that will manifest itself in any audio playback system. There are simply too many variables. In the same way, comparing the total harmonic distortion of 12 audio power amplifiers and using that single test result as the only means of comparison would be utterly meaningless.

As mentioned in „Power Demystified“ ( https://www.audioquest.com/resource/1138/Power-Demystified-whitepaper-8-23-18.pdf )

1 Like

Audioquest call that a whitepaper?

No author CV, no footnotes, no external references.

:face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Yes…shame its the last update