Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

Andy, I think you mis-spelled that. I’m sure you actually meant “Fraudioquest”, no?

6 Likes

@Graeme_Finlayson I’ve seen first year engineering students produce better.

“Fraudioquest” for sure!

1 Like

Once the MKII is here in the house, my current DS is going into my office. Once that happens I am going to do most if not all of the component level mods. There’s a dedicated group with some guidance from Ted Smith on caps and other components that can be upgraded. I don’t want to do this while the DS is in my primary rig.

I’ve been spelling it as “Audioquackery”. Can’t believe I got it so wrong :wink:

3 Likes

Given the recent 2 part test/review of its Powerplant 12 AC Regenerator, maybe we also need to add “BS Audio” to the audiophoolery glossary of manufacturers who overpromise and don’t deliver:

£5,499 for a piece of equipment that does. . . . . . . . . . . . nothing.

I can see a new OT thread in the making…

6 Likes

I’ve seen sports stars that are way more expensive with similar functional characteristics…

7 Likes

MKII wow …if only…will likely be out of my price range unfortunately
Specially since i just bought the m1200’s

Wow! You must be in heaven. Everyone I know with 1200’s without exception loves them, I frequently hear positive comments about how even at low volumes they sound like liquid. I love that description. Congrats!

I’ve been thinking about getting a single 1200 to replace the 700 currently in use for our Center Channel. But, I have expensive cables that I need to replace with even more expensive cables before I think about that change :wink: …yes, that’s a joke…well sorta, I buy parts and make my own versions of expensive cables.

I think as a Roon user, you are probably going to be interested in the upcoming AirLens endpoint. From what I can tell so far, it’s going to have functionality similar to a Rendu, but with a different type of isolation for USB and possibly the network connection. Not a lot of the technical details are out yet. Rumor’s say available in the Fall of '22.

BTW - I dig that you used your real name, or I assume you did. Maybe it’s a nom de plume.

Funny…yes real name
Try and be respectful so nothing to hide

1 Like

Same here.

I am the same me sitting here on the couch as I am -----> the me over here on the forum.

Negativity, passive aggressiveness and cattiness on a forum? :upside_down_face:

In my experience, power cables can exhibit sonic differences in power amps, I’ve not been able to detect anything appreciable in other gear though, DACs for example. The more current dependent the amp, the more noticeable.

I keep my LTA UL+ integrated plugged into the wall because it sound better than plugged into anything else.

My experience may be completely different than others and that’s okay.

To the science guys, on the graphs where should I look to see how a product’s sound stage depth, instrument separation or micro dynamics and details would show up? I don’t know which is why I just let my ears decide.

If the difference is truly audible, it will be measureable. If you can pick out a premium power cable in a double blind listening test 8 times out of 10, I’ll eat my hat and post the video here for all to see.

Exactly… but where, what am I looking for? Please help me. Please help the community.

Interesting video to watch concerning measurements Why you can't trust audio measurements - YouTube

1 Like

I can’t help wondering what your hat is made of? Tin? Wool? Straw? Sorry for my curiosity but that’s how my head works!

2 Likes

Mine’s made of chocolate, I’ve eaten a few, lesson learned…

3 Likes

I tend to ask for custard with my humble pie, which like you I have learnt from.

2 Likes

For a challenge like this, a chocolate hat would be far too easy. It would have to be something worthwhile like sewn together Carolina Reaper chillies.

3 Likes

I doff my cap to you sir!

1 Like

The title is like a tabloid press headline - where in reality the differences in measurements are minor.

It doesn’t invalidate measurements.

What matters is a consistency of approach in measuring one device and comparing with the measurements from another.

1 Like