Do You Have A Roon Fallback Plan - Options / Alternatives

Thanks. I did not know about that, but I’ll wait for the final version. That’s going to stop me from obsessing about a new MacBook Air M2.

I’ll be able to run Roon, Audirvana, and Apple Music lossless, high resolution, all on my Dell away from home. I just installed a new battery, so good for another 4 years.

1 Like

But to need to make sure your laptop can run Win11.

It can. I just haven’t installed it yet.

You should do it then, before investing any more in in, just in case.

Does anyone else use Volumio as a fallback?

For me, the simplest thing if I have power and no internet (which does happen) is to have an extra SD card with a volumio image on it. In this scenario (which is rare for me, and that’s a privilege, I get it), I pop out the Ropieee SD card, pop in the Volumio one, and plug in my SSD with all my files. Up and running in no time. It’s always kind of refreshing - no content, just folders and a basic search function. But I’m so psyched when Roon comes back.

Still thinking about adding an LTE modem on my Google Fi plan and setting it up for passive fail-over on Unifi UDM Pro just so I never have total outages (except in real prepper situations) but I haven’t gotten that far yet.

1 Like

Split out from …

Personally, I think it’s wise to have a fall back alternative, irrespective of the Roon requirement to be online, equipment breaks, drives fail, etc. etc.

Contingency Examples:

• Mobile Broadband 4G Cellular Network Access Device (in case the fiber broadband dies)
  • Smartphone Tethering (in case the fiber broadband dies)
  • Audio files are accessible by a other media player (in case Roon dies)
  • CD player and several boxes of discs (as a last resort)
  • A candle and good book :wink:

You left out (May have been intentional) a working backup server of 1.8 legacy.

:wink:

Roon 1.8 doesn’t work well as contingency.

Assuming you’re normally running a 2.x core, and don’t have a spare licence, you need the internet to logon when your start your 1.8 server.

So it works if you run 1.8 as your live core.

But it doesn’t work well as contingency.

2 Likes

I think you could run Roon 2.0 on your NUC or Nucleus, etc. and keep a copy of Roon 1.8 Legacy on a computer or laptop, etc. When your internet goes down, use a cellular hotspot long enough to authorize the 1.8 device and unauthorize the 2.0 device.

1 Like

You’re right - with a machine that can handle wireless that trick would work.

You don’t need to deactivate the 2.0 - just activate the 1.8 and tell rooon you want to move the license.

Need to check how well my back-up strategy works (I keep a year of old backups - so I should have one that is 1.8 compatible…)

With one license/subscription, you actually do need to deactivate the other active device. It’s part of the process of activating one and deactivating the other. I did this for three years before I bought a second lifetime subscription. You do this over the internet talking to Roon, so you don’t need to turn on or connect to your 2.0 device. Both of my Roon cores are on Roon 2.0.

Or alternatively, use (my option 1) a Mobile Broadband 4G Cellular Network Access Device to allow Roon 2.0 to go back online and continue to use Roon 2.0.

For my setup ISP modem and Cisco Router … I’d just have to disconnect the router from the modem and plug it into the cellular modem.

I seen that some of the UK providers have now started to offer 4G/5G mobile data failover connectivity as part of their broadband packaged. Someone puts a spade through the cable and it automatically switches over to the inclusive mobile data till the cabled connection is restored.

I that being rolled out in the states as well?

That’s been around in the US for years. I use your opton 1 when at the MIL’s house. I have 160 GB of Verizon Wireless hotspot data. When that’s used up, it gets throttled and sometimes continues to work at the slower speed or I just switch to my iPhone or iPad and Apple Music with unlimited data. It’s easy when you don’t have your own local files you’re trying to play.

I also have 2 lifetime licenses (and sometimes 3 cores).

Activating the ‘new’ core and at the same time saying you’re ok to deactivate an old core / doesn’t need to have access to the deactivated core. Roon will catch up later!

Yes, that’s what I said.

But… Can the latest Roon control apps (iPad, iPhone, etc) be used when driven by a 1.8 Legacy core after such a switch-over? Or would you also need 1.8 Legacy control apps installed?

You would need a Roon control device with the proper version of Roon Remote installed. If I was doing this, I would keep one iPad on Roon Remote (Legacy). Otherwise, go to the app store and install the one you need.

You can install both versions on the same device.

1 Like

I have 6 audio systems currently driven by Roon. All of them can stream from DLNA servers (3 Linn; 2 HQPlayer-controlled DACs; 1 Zen Stream). My local music is on Linux servers that also run a DLNA server, which is what I used before I came to Roon. The Linn app supports Qobuz. I haven’t looked into how to do Qobuz on the other systems. But TBH, my internet is in general more reliable than my power, so…

I tried jriver because I needed something on Mac OS that could open SACD Isos and convert them to DSF files. And while that worked absolutely great, I immediately knew why I spend the money on roon Lieftime. It was like going back to use foobar as teenager.

For my local library I would probably be fine with roon 1.8 minus the online content.

1 Like