Do You Have A Roon Fallback Plan - Options / Alternatives

It’s a little sad that you feel compelled to keep adding stuff (to run Roon), when an iPhone and Apple Music is all you (a minimalist) really need.

Thanks. I have an iPhone and Apple Music. This is just for some fun.

1 Like

Sounds like everyone here needs to attend a silent retreat at least once in their life to gain a bit of perspective (I did a ten day one years ago - life changing). Internet goes down for a day or few? How about a shelf of books and some golden silence? Believe me, without constant ‘noise’ running in the background, you won’t stop breathing, and when the music comes back, will sound better than ever.

And if Roon does go away at some point? There’s will always be UpNp, DLNA, etc options, streaming directs, or good old physical mediums like cd’s and vinyl. The world won’t stop spinning.

6 Likes

Some years ago I broke my shoulder ski touring from a sailboat in Northern Norway. Had to spend 7 days in the boat, no internet, no local music in my phone, just two English language books. I was able to get to the deck (in some pain) and look at the beautiful scenery while my buddies skied the amazing terrain. No silence, just wind and small waves in the fjord. Surprisingly calming considering the circumstances. Oh, and

11 Likes

Good for you Fernando, but your posts don’t do anything but reinforce how ridiculous it is losing access to Roon as player for LOCAL files if internet is down. It seems you are one of the very few trying to constantly justify this by either saying you have other systems/apps to stream (then why do you use Roon?) or doing other things…

Sure, if internet is down and I can’t play music, I will find something else to do. Roon is not a life support machine, and thus we don’t need it to survive. But many of us chose it over just about any already available free players (either those of streaming services, or those that come with hardware) and we are paying for a service, and as such, we want to be able to use it fully.

2 Likes

Life is too short to spend repeatedly complaining about software design choices. All software has design flaws, as well as bugs, and software vendors make choices in deploying their limited resources that don’t match our individual needs. Report the problem, move on.

4 Likes

Jriver has probably been running since you were a teenager it’s currently V 30 - :joy::joy::joy:

That’s not difficult to justify: Because the 99.9% of time I do have internet, Roon is the best option.

It’s inconvenient if internet goes out, but then it’s not the end of the world and there are other options, which most straightforwardly is using a good router that can USB-tether to a phone for internet access fallback, other player software that is worse than Roon but can tide one over a temporary loss of internet, a record player, phone with headphones or BT speaker, or indeed a hobby or a book.

I was quite vocal that a basic fallback option in Roon would be feasible and would alleviate all of the unhappiness, but Roon have decided that they don’t want to spend the resources and there’s no use complaining. I chose instead to look forward to all the cool things that more cloud features will bring.

1 Like

It’s inconvenient if internet goes out, but then it’s not the end of the world and there are other options, which most straightforwardly is using a good router that can USB-tether to a phone for internet access fallback, other player software that is worse than Roon but can tide one over a temporary loss of internet, a record player, phone with headphones or BT speaker, or indeed a hobby or a book.

Jesus, suggesting getting a router and tethering from a phone to use a software that discovers LOCAL files. Now we have gone insane with the suggestions. What else are you gonna suggest then? Playing a vinyl? Getting an electric guitar?

There’s not logical way to justify this. It may be a design choice, but that doesn’t make it logical. I could understand if this player was just using streaming sources, but with local files? No, it just doesn’t make sense.

To the guy that said that life is too short to complain: I live to complain. My last name should’ve been Costanza.

4 Likes

See my posts in the relevant feature request thread - I was quite vocal that it should not be necessary and there should be a simplified built-in player that can do w/o internet. Nevertheless, it’s a workaround if you happen to have a good modern router that has a fallback via tether or 5G - many do.

Actually I did in the post you quoted :slight_smile: Better than getting an ulcer over it

Given that Roon requires internet access, you can either find a solution that works for you or find something else to do when your internet goes down. It’s your decision.

2 Likes

When the broadband goes down I’m gonna invoke my emergency exercise regime, getting off my arse and playing some CDs…:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Hqplayer from client, Audirvana 3.5, JRiver. I do think roon needs to rethink this.

Audirvana Origin for local quality playback, Plexamp for car and on the go.
Currently no Roon at all thanks to the always-online decision.

I am sixty-two years old and I am trying to keep up with all of this hi-tech stuff. Am I missing something or is my setup different than everyone else? I have my Roon Core NAS/library connected using Ethernet to my Bluesound Node 2i, then the Node 2i is connected to my DAC using RCA. When my internet goes out, I can still use my Node 2i to access my local library, granted, it is not the same as having Roon at the helm, but I still have full access to my local library. I am not understanding how people are saying that they do not have access to their local library. Without Roon, access is definitely not the same, but I do have access. Is this because my local library consists of ripped and downloaded music which would not require any internet access?

I think this is the point, many subscribers originally paid for an always on software package which could always play locally stored music files.
There are many alternatives available but people want to be able to play their local library with Roon when the internet access isn’t available. Roon’s change of strategy has prompted this topic and for many it is necessary to develop an alternative solution to enable local file playback when the broadband service is down.

3 Likes

Actually, I posted this topic before Roon required internet access.

Good point Jim, I guess the change of circumstances hijacked the thread…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think hqplayer may also require a connection. It pings signalyst.eu at launch. If you block it I don’t think it streams to naa. I haven’t tested it in a while.