Do you play an instrument?

The Soulful Art of the Flamenco Guitar.

It’s the —th Anniversary Stack. The grey half stack is the Zack Wilde. FedEx crushed the bottom cab. Good eye. Now…what is in the glass cabinets?

We have those same cabinets (2 of them) without the glass doors but in a different wood and different color. I assume those are your daughter’s collectables?

So, you have the same thing, only different. Yes, those are collectibles from 20+ years ago, but what are they?

The Bassman repo amp, I modified to use tubes, but the tubes need replacement.

Beanie Babies, I would guess.

Perfect guess. They would hang them on the guitars. Endless Beanie Babies and Breyer Horses. The furniture is Pulaski out of NC in the 70s. This is in the basement, home theater. 11.2 speaker system.

1 Like

Does the tinnitus allow you to play drums at all?

I dare not try. I still flew airplanes up until November, a year ago, with a good Bose headset. I quit flying, not because of tinnitus, but because I had flown 56 years with never a lost engine, accident or mishap, or infraction. I decided at age 72, it was time to hang up my wings. Every once in a while, I get the itch to play drums, but don’t think that would be a good idea. Tinnitus is a terrible thing.

Which instruments do you build actually?

I play the drums. Have since I was a kid. I played full time in bands until about 10 years ago when I broke my back. I was about 25 then. Strangely enough I am also great with math. I think being a drummer definitely shapes my listening habits and even my preferred sound. I tend to like darker headphones like the LCD-3 and Meze Empyrean and warmer sounding DACs and Headphone amps. I am very aware that I instinctively focus on the drums and bass when picking out gear. I think planar headphones are the only type that can accurately reproduce drums actually, so I guess that would be another things shaped by playing the drums. My best friend recently told me that even though him and I like the same styles of music, he thinks I like “the heavy drum crazy bang bang songs.” Thats accurate I think
@Jim_F I am very sorry to hear about your tinnitus and how it has stopped your from playing any longer. I am only 35 and I can’t play anymore because of a nerve disease, so I know that feeling and that constant itch to play. So instead I listen to Roon and pretend I am playing again. :laughing: Every once in a while I break out my Roland set and play until I can’t feel my hands anymore, which lasts about 4-6 months…totally worth it though. My dad flew up until his late 60’s and also had very good luck. I don’t fly yet but I was in a piper cub that lost power and we landed in the middle of the freeway in the Santa Cruz Mountains

4 Likes

Sorry to hear that.

What kind of music do you prefer?

I play the following instruments: piano, pipe/electric organ, guitar, bass, drums, saxophone, trumpet, violin and cello.
I’ve been a professional musician for 25 years and a sound engineer (Tonmeister) for 22 years. My main instruments are piano and organ, but I also get hired for jobs where I get to play the other instruments I listed. As a keyboardist, I mainly play jazz music (e.g. solo piano projects and leader of two “fusion” [=jazz rock/jazz funk] bands). As a sound engineer, I mostly get hired for classical productions. My wife is a (classical) pianist, too, and we both teach Music at the same university. Listening to music and above all making music (i.e. playing it live or recording it) plays a very important role in our lives.

9 Likes

My eye was drawn to the Fender sign. Does it still function?

I have +45 years of guitar to impair my hearing, both in terms of tinnitus and unimpressedness with audio equipment. Don’t get me wrong. I absolutely love good production and ditto audio equipment, but I have long given up on the idea of truthful audio reproduction. I don’t believe it exists. As mentioned numerous times here, the physical resonance of a string or a soundboard just doesn’t translate. That doesn’t mean that it can’t sound good; it certainly can. We just shouldn’t kid ourselves and purport it’s identical.

p.s. @7NoteScale Those pictures are just wonderful. Right after Parker, I consider PRS the most beautiful electric ever [I’m sticking my neck out here, aren’t I? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:]. Is that first one a Santana?

2 Likes

When I listen to audio system. I often have the problem: It does sound slow. Krell amplifiers did suffer specially from that. They had power without end, but their response time was slow. Using some speakers or speaker cables I did feel the same. Slow, boring. So when I listen to audio I listen mainly on the fact, does it sound fast?

It is a little bit like comparing a sumo fighter with Bruce Lee.

Do have similar experiences? Or does that sound stupid?

Yep. Maria Conde. Daughter of Felipe Conde. Her, her father and her brother (Felipe Jr) are carrying on the family tradition.

I enjoy the “unusual”. So I have the usual acoustic steel strings, solid body and chambered electrics, but then things like lapsteel, Weissenborn, ukulele draw me more :smiley:

1 Like

The first one is a Santana; signed by him. Good eye.

1 Like

I’ve played guitar for nearly 50 years now. Here’s a few of my toys:

9 Likes