Do you play an instrument?

Play guitar here. And an assortment of other stringed instruments.

Agree fully with the OP about listening to music with that added dimension. I also am a luthier and find that also changes my listening - trying to figure the instrument out.

4 Likes

I liked jazz and classical as a small child, both were played on 78s, some of which I still have.

I use Roon very differently from most. I do not create lists, etc. I turn on our system and go to Qobuz new releases and sample among them. Sunday morning has always been classical music. During my bachelorhood(s), every evening was jazz.

About 20 years ago, I got into the Blues.

2 Likes

A luthier. Incredible. There is a YouTube where this pretty (Spanish) girl is shown building her guitars.

Would love to see your work.

For my parents music was important too. But they were only in classical. I still like some kind of classical music, but I drifted into a completely different direction. My parents never had a problem when I was listening to rock or similar. Somewhen with 45 I began to discover metal. My wife is more into Latin, Pop, Rock n Roll. My son is on fantasy soundtracks. That keeps us very flexible.

2 Likes

Sampling new releases is fantastic. I love finding new music.

Which raises another point. Playing instruments do you find you annoy other folks with with either

A) not listening to full tracks.
B) repeating bits of tracks.
C) both.

I fall into C. And then get into trouble because someone will say ā€œwhat do you think of the lyricsā€¦ā€ and I have literally no idea what they are.

I play nothing but full albums (followed by Roon Radio) and know nothing about lyrics. They have lyrics? I enjoy vocals, just donā€™t pay attention to the words.

Iā€˜m definitely C. In the car I listen sequentially. But at home I often listen 1 or 2 tracks, sometimes again and again. I also have no problem to skip through an album or to jump to an other record from the same artist. Like that I find new music.

Being a rebellious type when I left home I got into
Punk as I knew my stepfather hated it. I guess from that I like bands that have something to say, I donā€™t really need to agree with it. Iā€™m surprised in this day and age there arenā€™t more bands with loads to say! Roon has introduced me to loads of stuff in a similar vein that I have missed over the years. What I like I buy, what I donā€™t I ignore. Like Jim Iā€™m more of an album when listening but if itā€™s background Iā€™ll shuffle and pick out stuff I want to explore further.

1 Like

The 17% of my Roon Library that is NOT classical or jazz is rock, folk and blues, which I still do listen to. Appropriately enough, my son (now 24) has been my main source for new music, which he consumes avidly on YouTube. He: Ever hear of The Shins? Me: No. He: Check them out! Me: I didā€¦theyā€™re great!

In a great example of ā€œwhat goes around, comes aroundā€ he, a big fan of '60s country-rock (like the Byrds, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band), is teaching himself how to play mandolin and guitar from YouTube videos. I could not have conceived of such a thing when I was 24!

Sounds like it might be Felipe Conde in Madrid.

Chutes too narrow? Fab

2 Likes

Me: I will check it out, thanks!

1 Like

My son was drummer for a couple ska bands at UGA. I actually got into that at the time. While in Wisconsin for 5 years, I played in a polka band. Iā€™ve done it all, almost.

1 Like

Iā€™m very impressed Jim and quite jealous!I love the specials. They describe the midlands of England perfectly of when I grew up. I guess thatā€™s the trouble with some music that relates to a period in a country it may not travel well. A lot of it is still relevant now though.

My son did learn classical guitar and electrical guitar. He was very good. His teacher want him to play in his band, but he prefers to volunteer as firefighter next to his job. We often listen to similar styles of music. But different enough to discover new things. Some times I was listening mainly blues, now it is a lot of metal, but I do not run away, if somebody plays Deutsche Schlager.

But in fairness to you, he has YouTube. For some, it is a great teaching tool (or can be).

My other non-Roon music diversion. They unfortunately have more capability than I have talentā€¦:slight_smile:

5 Likes

No, I wish I could recall. This goes back two years. She is very skilled, and I believe her father is a luthier as well. Wherever this thread goes, it certainly made some ā€œconfessā€ to being very talented, not just consumers.

Maybe the Ramirez family?

Really nice Marshall stack. You are not a minimalistā€¦yet.