Do you still listen to analogue source?

Earlier than me … I bought mine in 1973

Do you still listen to that fine deck?

Sorry missed your reply

No I went totally digital many years back , sold the CR7 and the 582

I have no media at all now just HDDs

Mike

I’m starting to like vinyl more and more again. I’m not sure that the sound is better than digital (don’t have much double stuff to compare) but I like it anyway. The entire experience is really enjoyable.
It’s great to be totally off-line after non-stop in front of a computer for hours and hours, with just a record player and an amp with a volume knob.
No worries about networking, DAC settings, reboots, upgrades, roon is not tracking what I’m playing, etc…
Just music.

3 Likes

I had a Rega Planar 3, which was like, THE tt to have if you couldn’t afford the Dunlops or the Linns of the day, lol. It gave great sound. But the digital sounds took over.

Best sound I ever achieved was back in the early 90’s I guess, and the death knoll even then for my vinyl. I invested in one of those new-fangled DAC thingies from Rob Watt’s defunct company DELTEC. It was really early stuff, when audiophiles were realising that there were ways to improve digital.

Wired the PDM1 to a Musical Fidelity A100 amp (which ran so hot it just gave up in the end) and onto Rega Ela speakers. It sounded so out of the box and yet smooth as silk. Ah fond memories…

It’s a new era again now. I don’t regret at all the ditching of the old media, CD included.

Roll on brain implants I say :wink:

“Watch out for what you wish for” …

Watch a series called “Black Mirror” the episode White Christmas – SPOOKY

Mike

haha. BM is on my must watch list for TV stuff. Doesn’t surprise me they covered this ground :slight_smile:

Just bought my Linn LP12 Majik in the summer, after I weekend I also order the Lingo 4 upgrade:) There is something different when playing a vinyl records that makes me come back every time:)

The ultimate goal of any digital system is to sound… as analogic as possible. So why ditching the analog for something that just tries to sound the same???

I went all digital this year after admitting to myself I had not played an LP in a couple of years. Gave my 2000-ish vinyl collection to my 15 years younger cousin who is also a music fanatic. He’s over the moon about it and I know my record collection went to someone that will really appreciate it.

I don’t miss it. I have 10k CDs plus a bunch of hi res stuff ripped on my NAS. And a nice digital setup with Roon and HQ Player, a nice DAC, Tidal, etc.

It’s a good time to be into digital audio and I look forward to what’s next with Roon and digital audio in general.

Until 8 months ago I listened only to LP records. I have a newish (about two year old Linn Sondek with a great MC cart and a bunch of upgrades. I carefully clean my records, and it sounds divine. Nothing beats listening to records on weekends or times when no one is around and when there is a bit of spare time to indulge a hobby.

That said, I do not buy new media in the form of LPs. Vinyl is reserved for my existing collection, and purchases from record shops – a great way to explore vintage recordings. After jumping on the Roon bandwagon, all my purchases of new media are either high res downloads or CDs that I rip to AIFF or Apple Lossless.

absolutely. Analog is hi end ----Digital is pure convenience
you cannot compare digital playback to the pure sound of a quality analogue front end.
You have to spend money–quality turntable is expensive as is a fine phono preamp.
But done right-digital is not in the same league… Its good Roon is very good. But vinyl it aint

1 Like

Totally agree. I feel greatly privileged in that I enjoy the best of both worlds.

Whilst vinyl is seeing double digit growth, I was incorrect to say vinyl outstrips digital sales … I should have said digital downloads. CD although in decline still outsells vinyl. But the largest contribution to music sales is paid streaming subscriptions.

I rarely play vinyl now; Roon has changed that. But I disagree with @sheldon_simon. Vinyl is different in the same way that MQA is different to the humble CD. Each have their benefits and each have limitations that may affect the mastering process. What we reproduce at home is never going to better the source and no medium has an exclusive claim on the best masters.

In another thread, Steve Guttenberg explains why he hates Roon (albeit I get the impression he’s not speaking from personal experience) and harks back to the golden age of vinyl in his column. Did that exist? He says the “LP format is solidly mature” and its “extreme long-term stability accounts for some LP fans’ loyalty to analog.” This is nonsense. Vinyl sales were outstripped by the cassette let alone CDs. Recent growth isn’t a consequence of loyalty to the format, it’s millennials weaned on music downloads (often illicit) acquiring that uniquely human trait of collecting.

2 Likes

For some, this might be unthinkable, but it would be amazing to me if there was a way to use an analog source…especially a turntable…with Roon. Put a record on in one room and have the sound going to another…or all zones at once. RIAA EQ implemented in DSP. So cool!

1 Like

It wouldn’t be analog then as you would need an ADC, so you may as well stream or use digital files.
I have had rare aibums digitised by a friend with access to a serious ADC and the results are astonishing really. Not worth doing if a decent digital copy is available. IMHO.

1 Like

I agree. That would be fun. Dreaming…

I stopped playing vinyl about 25 years ago. I recently got a turntable to start playing them again. Except I’m only playing them one more time, to make digital recordings. I was surprised that the digital recordings sound almost exactly like playing the vinyl. And it sounds pretty good for albums in decent shape.

1 Like

Tivoli Model 1 Radio pulling in the local Jazz station near San Francisco: 91.1 KCSM (and many years previously 98.7 WFMT classical radio in Chicago)

SX425

What you said makes sense, logically. But many don’t listen to vinyl for its unique sound alone…they do it for the physical experience of selecting and handling the media. Those people are needlessly excluded from the power and joy of Roon. A complete solution would attempt to recognize what’s playing “Shazam”-style to display appreciate album art, metadata, lyrics, and reviews. Probably more work than Roon is willing to put into this for the likely small audience, but, as someone else said, we can dream…