Does Roon care about non-streamers anymore?

I am a standalone Roon user, or I was until I signed for the Tidal £4 for 4 months the other day, and while I like my music I can already see the benefit of augmenting my largish (34k tracks) with albums that I do not have from the music I am currently enjoying.
Not quite sure that I concur with your observations so it would be useful if you expanded on the reasons for this

Mike

I dont understand. Why not explain why you have no love.

I worry that such accusations without data are just trolls, but help me understand. i dont stream. I use roon and like it (aside from some well publicized gripes). Good UI, great sound quality, good integration to radio, good cataloging. Some work still to be done.

I am willing to do this. I just don’t understand how Roon gets its metadata and how we can help? Here’s an example I remember: There’s an album called ACM Gospel Choir recorded by the group ACM Gospel Choir but Roon somehow thinks it’s by “AMC Gospel Choir”

If I wanted to update that info outside of Roon so that other people’s searches correctly found it, how would I do that?

Unfortunately Discogs uses a metadata schema that does not seem to be compatible with anything else. For instance, there have been multiple attempts to create automatic mappings from Discogs to Musicbrainz, and they are all a mess.

The problem is in one of Roon’s main data sources.

1 Like

I’m one of those dinosaurs you’re referring to, I’ll happily admit it. I’m fundamentally opposed to the corporatisation of music delivery, the record labels are bad enough, now a bunch that add absolutely nothing for the artists want to monopolise delivery. Maybe that’s dinosaur thinking but I’d rather my payment for music go more directly to the artist. I don’t think much of Netflix etc either.

Here in Australia all those corporations are just a bunch of tax dodging free loaders. Long live the dinosaurs.

4 Likes

Perhaps you and others misunderstood the meaning of dinosaur. It doesn’t mean old, it means going going gone. It wasn’t an insult but an observation.

1 Like

As @Fernando_Pereira has just pointed out the problem is with AllMusic.

The other source I looked at is MusicBrainz.com which is correct: https://musicbrainz.org/release/6fe75416-b596-4bd6-9334-562a79519c60

Not sure why Roon favoured Rovi over MusicBrainz (@dylan ?) but if you go to the incorrect site you can submit corrections. I have registered at both to allow me to add albums etc.

I’ve submitted a request to AllMusic to correct your album. MusicBrainz is typically quicker at allowing corrections than AllMusic from my experience.

For some reason I’ve sat here and read/skimmed the whole thread. Got nothing better to do right now with social distancing etc. I have thoughts, which I will keep brief and hopefully they’ll be of some use. First the OP’s post provided no real insight or examples, it was just kind of a whiny complaint. I don’t really blame the COO’s response but at the same time it came in waaaay too hot. But we should try to cut each other some slack. We’re all low-key going nuts with this pandemic and will express it in various ways.

For the record, I’m 42 and vowed never to stop seeking out new/current music like everybody seems to. I’m fighting the calcification, but it’s happening anyway. Not just in terms of music taste, lol. I think Ross_Blackman has a point that music today is not truly new or innovative. To me it seems largely rehashed. I’ve been spending most time with 80’s and 90’s music lately. I’m listening to Soundgarden right now. That said, I love Billie Eilish. She doesn’t seem to know much about past music which is why hers is so refreshing. I have streaming services off and on. I like Roon’s Qobuz integration, it’s quite seemless. Qobuz has an impressive selection to say the least. Mostly though I listen to my own local music collection which is quite large after 30 years of obsessive music collecting.

As far as Danny’s assertion that today’s music is so great…I feel it should be noted that the metadata available for post-2000 albums is frequently quite spotty. Meaning no album reviews for many newer releases. This seems to be due to the (over?) reliance on one provider - Allmusic. Which has not done a great job of living up to its name since being scooped up by corporate interests who now seemingly milk it for profit above all else. So if modern music is so enjoyable, how about beefing up its metadata? Especially given that, for some reason, we can’t add our own reviews. Why is that, by the way?

I do have a specific suggestion that should make non-streamers feel a little less like a means to an end: Simply have the option for the Recommended for You area to include albums from one’s own library. So simple! Correct me if I’m wrong but right now that area can only include albums from Quobuz you do NOT have in your library. Great for discovering albums you don’t have. Bad, if you want albums that are similar to the current album to be able to branch off from. Can we have that one simple option? It would be so great, and people like the OP would have less to complain about.

The final thing I want to say has no relevance at all and no one will care, but I’m excited - I finally decided, after months of drooling and faced with many more weeks of isolation, to order a pair of Sennheiser 6xx headphones from Drop, and a Schiit Modi 3/Magni 3+ stack to to go with it. Should be a significant upgrade over the Fiio Optimus 2 /Grado S80e combo I’ve been using. Which sounds fine, but I just feel at a remove from the music and no amount of knob-twiddling has fixed. I’m hoping to get closer to the music when the stuff arrives Tuesday. I’m excited. Anyway. Cheers everyone!

9 Likes

Just to point out, IIRC, this was not an “OP.” The first post at the top of this thread was a comment in the middle of another thread. I think that original thread was about whether Roon would be a great purchase if you ONLY stream, and this comment was a quick snark back at that question. Mods or Roon reorganized and split out this discussion from it.

The reason why this is relevant is because it goes to the intent of “the OP” that is not to start a new thread, but just a quick drive-by in another thread.

This is one issue with forum moderation - trying to organize things by topic often results in comments out of context. Then I have seen comments and threads reorganized (perhaps not intentionally) in a way that really loses the meaning of where they were originally posted - in some cases taking on a new meaning and in a few extreme cases appearing to eliminate criticism of the company. That said it is way better than Audiogon where posts disappear regularly and one cannot later read and follow anything. That place has good info but the culture there is just weird at times.

I agree it was jarring to see Danny post with the tone and voice of a regular outside forum user rather than with the subservient tone we usually expect from company reps of any sort. Perhaps each Roon employee needs a separate account under which they can present their personal, just another forum-user opinions, so it doesn’t come off like Roon calling a substantial portion of its customers as “dinosaurs.”

Whether dinosaur means “really old and crusty person” or “disappearing quickly” it was pretty clear the term was meant in a pejorative manner and it just wasn’t a good look. But it’s also true - we are all a little crazy these days. Roon has certainly been helping me mitigate that. Just listening to LiveRadio to feel more connected has been a great boon.

3 Likes

The way to correct this problem is to become a member of https://www.allmusic.com/. Once you log in simply look up the band/album, scroll to the bottom of the page and you’ll see an option to submit corrections. Submit your recommended changes and if Allmusic/Tivo concurs they will make the corrections which should then be reflected in Roon as soon as Roon makes the periodic data dump from Tivo. FYI, I submitted a change for ACM Gospel Choir, so if you check on it periodically you can see how long it takes.

2 Likes

Still, streaming isn’t the holy grail, its a fad. Everyone wants you to subscribe to everything at the mo. Give it a few months (years?) and we’ll have a new model. My (purchased) library will still be there.

3 Likes

Personally, I don’t think streaming is a fad at all. It’s just another way of delivering information to you. For instance, we have all been streaming TV for 50+ years. I am happy owning no LP’s, CD’s, DVD’s, etc. and streaming everything. However, that doesn’t have anything to do with what content I want to watch and listen to. These are two entirely different issues.

I also don’t understand why some people have a hard on against streaming companies. They are delivering content to us. Of course, they should make a profit based on the quality of that delivery service and the content they offer. Do people think record companies didn’t charge you for stamping and distributing records?

1 Like

AFAIK is the link to submit corrections always present (no need to become a member). At least I can see it. I submitted a correction over a week a go but nothing changed so far (I didn’t even get an acknowledgment of receipt). Maybe that’s the difference between members and non-members?

Reference: Wrong track for CD 3, Track 2 “Me and Bobby McGee” on Janis by Janis Joplin

Easiest way maybe to get to the correct track title is to click on the discogs link provided in the same region of the site that also holds the “Submit Corrections” link and look it up there (“One Night Stand”).

PS: I don’t plan to sign-up for a member ship on a site I don’t like/I’m unhappy with – that the content shown there is even (no longer) their own doesn’t make things better.

Streaming is not a FAD IMHO it has replaced DVD and BLURay along with CD and all media before it… Vinyl isn’t really analog anymore and I would consider a fad just now. (Nothing wrong with that)
Streaming has made a major impact on TV negating in the main the need to even record programs.
In Radio, streaming has the same role allowing so much content (not all) to be enjoyed at any time of ones choosing.
Cinema is also feeling the effect of streaming and will have to adapt in time.

It’s the young people who know no different that drive change and we that may oppose this to one degree or another (personally I do not subscribe to net flicks or amazon, Sky, BT, Virgin etc) are all, in truth… Dinosaurs… and how we roar … :joy:

4 Likes

I subscribe to Sirius Radio, Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz, Roon, Netflix, and U-Verse. I own no LP’s, CD’s, or DVD’s. I also stream our electricity, natural gas, and water and reverse stream to our sewer system.

7 Likes

Still, Chris, even if you don’t agree with this…

…surely you must agree with this?

Which in my view is the essence of @mikeb’s post :wink:

I don’t think anyone is saying throw out your media if you own any. Continue to cherish and enjoy it. I wish I still had all my LP’s from the 1960’s that my little brothers managed to get rid of when I left for college.

My vision for the future is all content for everything will be housed on satellite servers in geosynchronous orbit. There will no longer be a need for computers or processors of any kind. We’ll all just have terminals and screens.

1 Like

No, it’s not a holy grail, but it is the future. Sooner or later physical media and downloads will cease to be viable. Of course, we [mostly] all have our purchased collections, but this isn’t essential anymore.

_105032120_chart-uk_music_consumption_2018-504x0-nc

Oh yes, we will still have our libraries, that’s ok too… We are still on the way out as time passes.

2 Likes