Does Roon care about non-streamers anymore?

It’s called good equipment…
Ooo I was tempted there :joy:

instead of paying for streaming I am investing that money in buying 1 LP per month. Makes me feel the money is going somewhere, having the hardware is nice as well.

1 Like

Digital isn’t ‘harsh’ at all. It’s sublime. It all depends on what you use to playback digital.

If you substandard/suboptimal hardware to playback digital, it may sound harsh. But then again, ‘get it right’, it can and will sound sublime.

1 Like

That’s true, Scott. My local library has expanded the most since I encountered Roon and its forum, combined with Spotify to listen to all the tips I see here!

1 Like

This thread.

3 Likes

Rent versus own. Nothing new there. It’s a choice. I prefer to rent and leave my money invested (except for house and cars).

I am investing in streaming to explore the music and get a firm grasp of the mastering used. If I like it enough that I would miss it if Qobuz, et. al chose to pull it from their streaming service, I pop over to the Qobuz website and buy it. Roon allows us music lovers to enjoy streaming and owning seamlessly… or near seamlessly since that disparity is what the whole point of this thread is.

Metadata on what I purchase on Qobuz is much better than some of the CDs I rip—even if the CD release is relatively recent, such as remasters that include mono and stereo versions of the album.

Problem is I think Roon gets most of it’s metadata from Rovi/Tivo/Allmusic.

1 Like

I’ve added about a thousand albums to my library since I started Qobuz when it first became available in the US. That is conservatively about $15K worth of music. There’s no way I could justify that kind of expense. My physical library is about two thousand albums, but those I’ve acquired over a lifetime. I’d say streaming is a huge bargain.

3 Likes

How many did you actual listened to?

1 Like

That’s part of the beauty of streaming. If you see something you think you might like while you are listening to something else, just add it and listen later. If you don’t like it, delete it then.

1 Like

It’s the listening later that is the problem.
Hi, I am doing the same thing, but I am not really satisfied with myself.
I am close to 1000 Qobuz albums that I added to My Library, and that I still did not listen to.
I am planning to do a big Spring cleanup in April.
Dirk

1 Like

I have 1268 linked Albums (Tidal and Qobuz). I’ve listened to most, but not all. I just deleted two today.

Shared co-working spaces were the future too, until just about 3 weeks ago. Just sayin’ … ; )

2 Likes

Not to mention shared ventilators.

It’s called tubes, but you knew that. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

For those of you audiophiles who don’t know the track can I suggest you search out “The Song of Reproduction” by Flanders and Swann?

4 Likes

“Flutter on your bottom…”

2 Likes

It’s perfectly okay to only listen to music from a set period, whether known or new to the listener. The latter still suggests being open minded, but do you know what - so what if someone only likes listening to a limited period, genre or recording artist - its their choice.

Its not my personal preference, I want to listen to everything (Roon really helps me with this by the way so thanks). Its just a shame there’s not enough time!

I don’t believe it’s right to criticize others about their musical preferences.

3 Likes

Solid state device was what was being developed. I have lots of tubed stuff now.