Does Roon care about non-streamers anymore?

Agreed. All decent coding is.

I bet you never saw that album on Tidal or Rovi.

I also didn’t recognize this comment either

No track-level credits. No composer/composition/performance structure. No regard for classical-specific concerns

It’s a bit hit and miss like all the data sources but I often find with classical-specific concerns, Discogs gets the correct composition hierarchies, and track level composers, arrangers, soloists, ensembles and conductors on the more complex discs roon often gets wrong and all else has failed.

1 Like

I agree, Discogs is often far better than Roon with its limited data.

Unfortunately the Discogs “database” (I use scare quotes because it’s hard to believe that they don’t even publish their schema, unlike Musicbrainz) does not have separate entries for composers or compositions, making it close to useless for classical and problematic for other genres where the same composition is performed multiple times. No, strings are not useful composition or composer ids, as anyone looking with attention at the text of album covers will notice. I’ve found that with careful metadata curation I can get Roon to identify a wide range of compositions in multiple performances even from recordings from the 1940s and 1950s. How do you propose that Roon link Discogs database records that lack that information to the rest of its metadata, which requires it?

I’ve been in the neighborhood of music metadata for decades of my professional work, working closely with teams who manage large metadata collections, I have done research on automatic record linking, and I can tell you that the easiest way to get bogged down in metadata processing is to assume one’s “solution” for a parochial problem scales up to managing a large metadata collection soundly. High-quality metadata needs a lot of resources, both technical and paid human curation, to create and maintain. That a company as small as Roon does as good a job as they do is a huge credit to them.

Discogs was designed for record collectors and traders. That’s fine, but don’t pretend it is a useful, well-designed music database.

5 Likes

The schema can be found here: https://github.com/eurotrip11/discogs-java-api/blob/master/discogs-api/src/main/resources/xsd/discogs.xsd

The point is: First, my records have to be identified, then the music on them can be processed. There is no use in a brilliant music data base that does not have the means to correctly identify the media this music is on.

Oh dear. I came here to ask a question about Roon and find str8 away an argument.

At first I thought the accusation that just because a person dislikes streaming, they didn’t like modern music. RUBBISH! (But then the person confirmed that in their case they do not.)

Well, I am 61 and still in love with Joni and Carly and Pink Floyd, Donna, Carole, and tho for many many years I hated male singers but now have many Dylan, Cohen, etc (disliking male singers is complicated but no longer true so…)

BUT I have all of Adele, Lily Allen, Laura Marling, Jake Bugg, James Blunt, Tom Odell, Noah and the Whale, Mumford & Sons, Josh Ritter, Iris dement, Mary Gauthier, Ryan Bingham, Tallest man on Earth, First Aid Kit, Tiny Ruins, Amy Winehouse, Eliza Dolittle. Hardly old timers.

I never liked Radio and I don’t subscribe to any streaming service and will not. Why? Because I want to listen to what I like not what someone thinks I ought to like.

I discovered new music via tv soundtrac ks or mostly by listening to mp3 on Amazon.

My library contains 12,5000 songs, just converted from AIFF to FLAC, after making the mistake of converting to ALAC first. My system cost £00000’s. I made mistakes the first time and lost a lot of trade ins but am happy with my sound now.

No I cam here to ask questions about Roon itself so am thinking I ought to start a new topic?

1 Like

People like to argue. It’s a blood sport. Doesn’t mean anything.

Yes, definitely if it doesn’t fit this thread.

Threads are free. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have never thought the opinion of another person on a singer, album, film, book etc mattered one jot. Being a ‘critic’ has to be the worst (or best?)job there is. Worst because it means nothing and best cos they get paid for it and wield power! A real human failing-constantly giving our power away.

4 posts were split to a new topic: I want to listen to what I like not what someone thinks I ought to like

Welcome to the forums @Knitman

Things can go sideways once in awhile, but most of the time things are tame. MQA topics are always fun…

1 Like

Both Tidal and Qubuz allow you to choose what you want to listen to. The difference between streaming from one of those services instead of your own collection is that you have millions of tracks to choose from, not thousands.

This forum is generally civil… so don’t let this thread scare you away. I have to agree with you I prefer to own my music also. I do explore through streaming services, but my owning my music has proven prudent as several people myself included are having trouble logging int Tidal via Roon right now.

2 Likes