Does Roon care about non-streamers anymore?

I had hope back then that that feature will be included one day. As it never happened I started to split lots of my SACD’s into dsf and integrated them into Roon. And I kept JRiver up and running to play Iso’s directly. And then I moved more and more into streaming because I used way too much time to maintain my huge database and spent too much money on adding and replacing storage. Streaming for me is the way to go now, no doubt.
How much you pay is a personal decision, for some $ 700 is just the price for a dinner. I bought into lifetime already in may 2015, where Roon made a very good offer for early adopters.
I would not bet too much on SACD Iso support. I stopped asking for it, because my needs changed due to moving more into streaming.

Genuine question here - is there an advantage to keeping SACD rips as iso rather than splitting to dsf?

Sorry if this is a dumb question…

1. Time needed to maintain that stuff, do the separations etc. Lots of time in case of large databases. Other software play ISOs without further manipulation.
  2. Maintenance of more hardware. You need to split into stereo and multichannel.

Basically for me it is a huge time and money effort which is largely useless because other software safes you time and money with ISO playback. I decided to use a different software for SACD Iso playback.

I think Roon lacks the ability to play back compressed DST also, which makes this more complex.
However, it’s a pretty straight forward job to batch-extract your DSF-material using free tools…
(But then, i don’t want/need multichannel material, but some of you might)

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @John_North!

To be clear, Roon is a service with an option to buy a lifetime subscription. A lot of music lovers think it is a reasonable price to pay.

A lot of subscribers have absolutely no need for ISO support. Just because a feature you’d like to see implemented isn’t doesn’t mean Roon don’t care or don’t listen to feedback.

You’re entitled to your opinion but that doesn’t mean what you say is correct. Bit like the OP really.

There is no benefit in keeping DSD files as .iso files.
It’s far, far easier to convert to .dsf files. And then Roon can do it’s magic!

3 Likes

As far as I’m aware I only have one SACD. I guess I ripped the cd layer (five years ago using EAC) and filed the disc in a box in the loft. I did wonder about whether the SACD version might sound better, more so when I was unable to find any version of the recording on Tidal or Qobuz, but concluded it was too much like hard work!

Edit - in case anyone is wondering it’s the Linn recording of the Dublin version of the Messiah. Probably on Apple Music, but I’ve not looked.

1 Like

I think it depends on the DAC you’re using to decode the DSD/DSF files?
I’m a massive fan of SACD, and have a very large collection of SACD’s. But with better DAC’s (and the Chord DAC’s spring to mind), PCM can sound as good as, if not ‘better’ than DSD/DSF.
Things have moved on A LOT in the last few years.

1 Like

I think we mostly understand each other, but I don’t agree that the delivered product is the only thing that matters. The way a business treats me matters to me. Another way to look at it is the human experience is part of the value proposition for me, including how myself and others are treated by a particular company. I send my dollars to places that treat me and my community well, when I can.

1 Like

Roon is better at building software than customer relations. But, in the end, it’s the software that matters to me.

Sounds quite superb in multichannel DSF but I’ve never bothered to listen to the CD tracks. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

To be fair the support team are great at customer relations, fixing home networks etc. Danny, well…

5 Likes

They’re VERY good. Especially played through a good DAC.

Bear in mind, everyone, that folks are all a bit stressed and tense right now. I’d think that someone running a business has even more on their plate, trying to keep it afloat and keep their employees safe and employed. Must be some hit to Roon’s sales of Nucleus boxes.

3 Likes

I agree.
‘Diplomacy’ has probably gone by the wayside, and this global crisis has exacerbated that. That’s fine.
Mind you, I always preferred straight-talkers myself! :wink:

1 Like

If you like soul so much then select Neo-Soul and start Roon Radio. If you like jazz so much then select Contemporary Jazz and start Roon Radio. I think you get the point.

In my opinion (and my family), the best feature Roon’s brought to us is Roon Radio. We discover countless new albums every day, and then we select “add to library”. #freedomfromtheknown.

2 Likes

For god’s sake will you be QUIET!!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

2 Likes

Wow! Never thought I’d be trolled by a Roon Team member. Streaming is not big for me because I often find myself in unconnected situations (airplanes, areas with no wi-fi and poor cell signal, etc.). I have over 9000 digital albums by over 3000 artists and prefer to just load some on my AK SE-100 and go. At home, it allows more control over what I’m what I am hearing. As far as not liking “new” music, again way off base. I have dozens of albums released in the past year ranging from Jazz to R&B to Alternative to Americana to Rap/Hip-hop to Electronic, etc…

Anyway, please try not to resort to name calling and/or making broad assumptions about your paying customers…

5 Likes

And still waiting for roon on the AK…

1 Like

Hahahaha!! :crazy_face:

That’s OK. But I’ve got absolutely nothing else to do but talk gibberish on this forum at the moment due to self-isolating at the mo’.

‘Normal’ service will resume soon Ged! :wink: