Does Roon do too much?

How do you know what the majority wants? I’m pretty sure Roon Labs staff know that way better than any of us just guessing from the very small minority of users who post here often. They’d be silly not to focus on what the actual majority wants, rather than on what loud minority (which includes me) keeps complaining about.

3 Likes

OK, so the complaint is that Roon isn’t managing the files and folders, and not the library. Well, I have no complaints about that, and while I understand that people who are not able to create folders may have a problem with that, it’s not an important problem for me and I think that naturally there will be less and less of these users. But anyway, everything that can be said about this has been said in the linked thread. In any case, it’s a long leap from there to “Roon does not care what the majority wants”

2 Likes

I don’t really care what the majority want, I didn’t buy for the majority. As I’ve said the software meets my need except for the library (file) management, they’ve already said they won’t fix that.

I just wish they’d stop making me upgrade and if they won’t stop that, at least not mess up my entire library in the process.

I tested the software before I bought, then they took out the library (file) management afterwards. It’s not an issue, I just do it manually, I’ve accepted that.

My point was only that it’s not an issue of it doing too much necessarily but maybe not what people want. I’ve never been surveyed by Roonlab to determine what I want. If it’s only the noisy forum participants that are considered then there’s a huge gap.

A friend of mine trialed the software, he was never surveyed why he didn’t proceed with a purchase.

The user base is a valuable resource that they are ignoring. Trial users that dint proceed are valuable in finding gaps.

Roon is based on cloud services for library metadata and streaming. There’s no way an old version can continue working indefinitely when things change in the cloud services.

Still too many assumptions. Regarding follow-up with users who don’t subscribe, I work in a software company that seems quite comparable to Roon, though a few times larger (1 mil users). There is only so much you can do with resources for development and customer relations. We have hundreds of users taking out a trial every week and it’s completely impossible to follow up with every one of them if they don’t subscribe

4 Likes

Roon is a cloud based service, it’s not a product that is suited to killing future updates. Roon would see subscribers fall off if they fell behind the competition by simply not updating.

The reason you pay a subscription is for the software to continually improve and add new features.

There are plenty of other library management pieces of software that aren’t cloud based that you could use. They also don’t require subscriptions.

1 Like

Some people think they know more about how Roon operates than they really do. I think it’s best to say what you like and don’t like and not assume anything else. I do wish Roon would improve their product support function. “I’m sorry we haven’t responded in 30 days” is not acceptable, IMHO. Hire some more well qualified people and train them. Or, don’t push out updates full of bugs, or both.

Ah yes, the ‘don’t like it go elsewhere’ because it suits me just fine’ non-argument. You can have your views and I’ll have mine. When I bought the product it had a certain feature set, I expected at least those would be maintained. Now that’s not the case yet I’m forced to endure endless updates that make absolutely no difference to me and I’ve paid a substantial amount for the privilege.

I’m guessing you also see it reasonable that an update totally trashed my system and I had to remove bits at the operating system level, it’s all in the interest of progress I suppose.

So much software today is subscription based but does force updates, it’s just their way of keeping the money rolling in, I bought a lifetime license. I’ve paid for the privilege of complaining about the direction the software I have bought is taking if I wish. Don’t like my complaints feel free to go elsewhere.

I didn’t say I didn’t like your complaints or that you shouldn’t complain.

I was merely suggesting that a cloud based, subscription product isn’t suitable for your needs. Roon is that.

You want a fixed set of features focused on library management.

When did Roon include browsing by folder? It certainly wasn’t a feature in 2016, so maybe it’s something I missed, although Roon has always been adamant this would never be implemented. So I’m a little confused by your comments.

I never said anything about browsing by folders. The functionality I used that was omitted was library management (file management into artist/album etc in the file system). They gave up on that.

As I said before I’m good with that now, it was a lost battle long ago but ongoing updates with nothing that benefits me yet screws with my system really annoys,

But, updates benefit other users. I think people should remember Roon is not a custom built app just for them.

4 Likes

Sure, and they should update. I’d like to be able to just skip updates until there is something of interest. Just publish a new feature log and allow people to skip it.

The only other software I have that forces an update is the DJI app that controls my drone, and that’s a safety issue. Every other piece of software has optional updates.

Anyway, I’m not an active forum user, I just saw this thread in an email and thought I’d respond. I’ll go back to listening to music.

2 Likes

I tend to agree. I have been using Roon for over four years and have had very few issues. Converting from wifi to Ethernet was worthwhile but apart from that nothing of significance has stopped me enjoying the music and the ability to plumb the depths of the where it all came from.

It’s the music that matters not the tech.

2 Likes

I’m not sure which software you are using. But most apps on my Mac’s receive updates automatically. Either through the App store, or through the app themselves. Like Roon, Audirvana Studio, Microsoft Office and jRiver.

Does Roon do too much? I don’t know. Decided to sub for a second year. First year was basically a long trial. It works for me. Do I use everything that Roon provides? Not really. But I like my software up to date. Any new things are like a bonus to me.

1 Like

You can. Go to Settings → About and click the gear icon for your core. Select ‘Ask before downloading any updates’.

Roon doesn’t force updates. Admittedly, it does nag, but you’re not obliged to update if you don’t want to.

1 Like

Just don’t expect any support from Roon if you run into any issues.

3 Likes

While keeping it simple is the rule of thumb everyone should push for I don’t think Roon has over stepped. They are competing in a market place and need to balance being competitive with focus.

It has been exceptionally stable in my opinion. I also find it very curious that you’ve gone out of your way to offer this criticism when it hasn’t impacted you. And to have to keep repeating your credentials to show how special. That’s also strange. Plus that much code in 20 years is almost 3k lines per day. That is ridiculously high to maintain every working day minus time off for 30 years.

Please go back to your listening chair and enjoy your fine music through a fine platform. No need for the negativity and arm chair quarter backing here.

Bob

1 Like