Does Roon download entire track into RAM? [Memory Playback Discussion]

How is this different to an aesthetic request? Am i to provide evidence of why i prefer black over blue? If enough people are making a subjective yes, but also reasoned, request for black then commercial reasoning will at some point engender Roon to have a look.

Now the request from those above is not a binary like black or blue, it’s the addition of black as an option to blue. So why the heavy resistance from yourself and others? The money and dev time you seem to be defending is something I would hope is in the budget each year. To trial modes and methods for better SQ. There are many posts in this forum that speak of poorer SQ form Roon that other options. We’re all here for the UX but we can also hope to enjoy the SQ crown too as loyal subscribers. No?

1 Like

This. Is. Not. Evidence.

[Repeatedly bangs head against wall]

I for instance, have (subjectively) found absolutely no difference in sound quality between Roon and LMS that I used to use. So whose story do you believe and act on?

But then, why would I need to demonstrate a null result?

You are asking for a change. The onus is on you provide something other than anecdotes to support the reasoning for that request.

10 Likes

The request should be made to Innuos or the authors of squeezelite. It is the case that noise from the SSD in the (incredibly expensive) Innuos server causes issues which people use squeezelite to mitigate, and squeezelite fails to do so reliably. Why should Roon go anywhere near this with a bargepole?

Yeah @Jez not sure you’re with us here. I’ve actually never used the squeezelite function on the innuous. Recounting my experience with it is to add weight to there being SQ benefits left on the table currently. For me the innuos is indeed better as a one box solution than anything i’ve managed networked so far. This is likely true for many low power servers though.

1 Like

Unfortunately we live in a world of economics. If you want numbers then here you go. I would love to buy a full license but 4 years ago i was using itunes, 3 ago it was spotify, 2 ago it was tidal and now it’s roon. Always seeking the best UX and SQ since catching the bug. It’s tiring it really is but it likely won’t end until digital files equal a CD in my setup. Again I say all this to explain why I’m supportive of @austinpop. I’m yet to be lead astray by his contributions on the CA forum so he’s go my support. Annnddd… selfishly also I want to see Roon be the best SQ solution for digital music.

1 Like

Several posters in this thread are using squeezelite as a way of getting memory playback. They also complain that it falls over. Hence they ask Roon to do the job properly. I accept you don’t use it.

Do you believe your Innuos has an issue with SSD noise? If so, have you asked Innuos to fix it?

I once had a laptop with a noisy fan. It never occurred to me to ask Excel to fix it.

1 Like

Why? Wouldn’t it be better to use the same technology for local network content?

I read a bit of this thread and also the magnum opus thread owned by austinpop (“A novel way to massively improve SQ…” on computeraudiophile) where this came up. Quoting that thread, the focus of the participants is

… on direct listening impressions. We were lucky that, from the outset, the early participants set a tone of experimentation with the proposed ideas, and reporting their results. Over time, this … extended the body of knowledge with their experiments and reports. … Most of what is discussed here does not have a readily available analytical explanation. We would not have gotten this far if we had gotten mired in the “how could this possibly matter” debate.

This is fair enough if you’re engaging a group of intelligent, well-meaning folks without particular depth in the relevant science and engineering. We can observe, but we can’t explain.

But this is not good enough to motivate investigations of particular speculations about the causes. Why? Because the suggested causes of the observed differences (memory playback in this case), while apparently reasonable on the surface, make no sense to the experts in the field who do understand what’s going on under the covers. And what’s under the covers with computing technologies is never one iota as simple as the naive lay person’s mental model. While we should remain skeptical of experts, the suggestions of intelligent lay experimenters are even less likely to hold up.

So, folks, you may posit that memory playback explains the perceived performance difference between squeezelite with a memory buffer and LMS vs. Roon, and it may appear that adding the memory buffer is the reason for roon’s lesser performance, but as been hinted at, it’s probably a performance limitation of the platform itself. Who knows if it might be drivers for the disk device, or inadequate resources to run roon and LMS simultaneously, or a zillion possible other hardware limitations (IRQ conflicts, thread priority, yada yada yada.)

If we determine that the streamer hardware meets or exceeds roonlabs’ minimum hardware spec to run roon successfully on that type of device (an embedded linux system, I presume), then the only evidence that I think should motivate roonlabs to investigate is for someone to first observe a difference using ABX testing between two identical hardware stacks (streamer + DAC), one running roon and the other with LMS+sqeezelite+memory_playback. Put identical copies of some music files on each, give each it’s own controller (ipad or whatever), hook the DAC outputs to a blind ABX switch, level match them, start them both playing identical playlists, and compare. If the differences are as pronounced as announced, then one might make a convincing case using this setup without doing strict ABX testing. But you have to give each software system the minimum hardware resources it requires.

Thanks,
- Eric

1 Like

Fine. But who amongst us can afford two identical hardware stacks? Potentially Roon will have that to hand. It is entirely appropriate that they are the ones to take a look and make a judgement. It is good enough to say we think there is a difference and ask for verification from those with the right resource. So long as we are prepared to accept the final outcome.

We’ll have to disagree about it being roonlabs’ responsibility to investigate this. They’ve already explained their assessment to us, that memory playback will not affect SQ in their architecture. They’re the experts, so it’s up to us amateurs to convince them with rigorous observations – not anecdotes – to expend resources on this.

You can always try to put together a duplicate hardware stack by borrowing gear. Join an audio club and maybe people in the group have the right components to loan you. Get loaners from manufacturers or dealers. Find a friend who thinks that your component is the greatest, have them purchase it on a trial basis, and do the testing together.

Instead of duplicate hardware stacks, you can do what archimago is doing right now with a blind DAC evaluation: record the analog outputs of different DACs with a superior ADC and ABX the resulting audio files. This would be done here with the streamer optimized for/running each alternative (roon or LMS) and recording the DAC’s output. There are many objections to this approach that I won’t get into, but if the SQ differences are very large, they should survive the recording and playback process and be detected through ABX testing of the recordings.

And just so you know where I’m coming from, I’ve spent a lifetime in this hobby trusting my ears to identify problems, using analysis and experimentation to solve problems, using my ears to assess solutions, and using measurements when possible to prove them. Since I’ve been able to fool my ears/mind regularly, I try to eliminate my observational shortcomings when I can. And I still consider myself an amateur.

1 Like

Excellent description.
There are objectivist extremists, who argue that if it doesn’t show up in our measurements it isn’t real.
On the other end, there are subjectivist extremists, whose comment on measurements is “why do you even bother, just listen”.
You describe a rational centrist view, and it reminds us that centrism isn’t a middle ground, it isn’t a false equivalence.

3 Likes

I did say it was appropriate, not that Roon had the ultimate responsibility. Subtle difference. For the record I don’t actually believe ‘memory playback’ would necessarily be a good thing for Roon in terms of its stability and reliability. But I think that if it is going to be looked at seriously then it is appropriate that they do so and make a judgement call. If it isn’t appropriate then Roon remains as it is and those who believe memory playback to be important can continue to use the alternatives to RoonBridge. I am actually not trying to side with either camp but with a background in audio measurement I know that it is important that it be done by people who know how and have resource.

I unsubscribed from this thread a while back due to the uninformed snide comments from some.

Bravo to Austinpop for continuing the request and managing to stay polite and reasonable despite the insulting responses.

I have no desire to get into another argument with the dismissive posters but I am going to raise two points:

1. This is not an “Innuos problem”. It’s a feature request to try and improve SQ in general by better utilising RAM where sufficient RAM is free and available.

2. Roon is supposed to be audiophile music software, so why are some users so vehemently opposed to the Roon dev team looking into something that might just (or might not) improve the SQ they hear? Just because you don’t understand, believe or wish to believe something -does that mean you absolutely do not want to benefit from it?

I frequent a few different Audio forums but there is something unique to this one where some users get needlessly defensive of Roon and completely dismiss other (paying Roon customers) based their own beliefs. This flat-earther approach is not constructive or appealing.

Cue for snidey comments and derision. Save your breath on the sarcastic putdowns as I’m not listening.

@brian +1 on please try this yourself and look into it. I get the same results on my Innuos SE chain and on my NUC Audiolinux chain and many other users over at CompterAudiophile are reporting the same.

Many Thanks,
Alan

4 Likes

Interesting topic but not very new? Didn’t Pure Music do this many years ago. Also looking back at the thread, Roon have answered the point quite thoroughly earlier. Although Alan isn’t listening, my take on it was that people have different wish lists for features and would argue their’s is more relevant (to them), which seems fair enough.

Civility, now there’s a thing. Apart from people being people, I think some of the MQA unpleasantness has pervaded the forum, as it as CA and there has been a general lowering of tone (also Brexit)…

You need to check DSP, specifically PEQ is turned off. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

That’s more like it!

1 Like

@BigAIMc

I hope you don’t find my responses snidey or derisive or sarcastic or putdowns.

In response to point 1:

How do you know what’s causing the problem? How do you know it’s not a hardware issue with Innuos?

You’re assuming that, because LMS/squeezeplayer/memory playback sounds better, memory playback is the solution to “some” problem, but that problem couldn’t be a problem with the Innuos platform and must be with roon. If memory playback also sounds better than LMS/squeezeplayer without memory playback, wouldn’t that tell you that something is hurting both roon and LMS/squeezeplayer SQ? Or do you conclude that both roon and LMS themselves have SQ problems that should be investigated and fixed by adding native memory playback to both systems?

In response to point 2:

Let’s say there’s an issue with constant real-time low bandwidth disk access on this hardware that memory playback sidesteps. Then memory playback would be a band-aid for this particular platform and of no use to most other roon customers. Note that I’m not saying disk access is the problem, it’s just an example. Just saying that there are other possible explanations and it seems unlikely (given roonlabs’ responses about when/where memory playback is/isn’t useful) that you’ve identified the correct problem with your proposed solution. It’s not a matter of believing your observations or not, but doubting that the analysis and conclusions are strong enough to take up development resources.

Thanks,
- Eric

2 Likes

Lets not start a gang war…
They do know their onions and have similar goals etc.

3 Likes

It used to be that most of the computer audio loonies could be found on CA, but seems like PC’s, they’re everywhere these days. And posts like this seemingly offend them, which just goes to show I’m right. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve tried to follow this thread, but it’s nonsensical IMO.
Roon guarantee a ‘bit-perfect’ stream through RAAT via both USB and a local network.
What benefit is there to having a file streamed completely/direct from RAM? None that I can see.