Does Roon need to use iCloud backup in order to use Roon?

Roon Core Machine

macOS Catalina 10.15.7, 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Last model of Apple Airport Extreme. iMac is connected via ethernet to the router.

Connected Audio Devices

iPhone 12 Pro, iPad Mini, Bluesound Node 2i

Number of Tracks in Library

Primarily streaming from TIDAL.

Description of Issue

Roon is taking up a lot of my iCloud storage 1.13GB

After starting to use Roon it’s been taking up a lot of my iCloud storage (1.13GB out of 5GB). Is it necessary to allow Roon to backup to my iCloud in order to use Roon? I almost never use Roon Radio. I primarily stream from TIDAL through my stereo via Bluesound Node 2i.

Unfortunately this is a bit of a known issue in certain circumstances, which also do not appear to be clear.
Right now the only known solution is to delete the app and then reinstall it again.
This clears the data usage.
I literally had to just do this ten minutes ago as I was up to 5.77gb usage.
After reinstall down to 25mb.

You could also try just clearing the cache but it likely will not make a huge difference but worth trying.

Would this help?

3 Likes

Roon does not recommend Apple Airports for networking…just so you know.

Perhaps its your Roon iOS client that you mean is taking up iCloud?

If this is what you mean you can turn off the Roon app under the backup (search in settings) options on iCloud under your AppleID on your devices.

Are you saying that it is a Roon Backup that is eating up your iCloud storage? If so, then you need to tell Roon to store the Backup in a location which will not be automatically backed up to your iCloud.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.