Does Roon ROCK not like USB drives formatted for Mac?

I have a new ROCK installation on an NUC and I was hoping to backup to the network drive attached to my Airport Extreme, but no dice, Roon just keeps saying I’m not authorised to access it no matter what I play around with user names and passwords on the Airport. So I thought why not just plug it into the NUC now and backup directly to it, but no, although it is clearly listed as a drive attached to ROCK when I select it and press backup I get a ‘Failed… Backup directory not available’ type error message.

I did use this drive for moving my music files to the internal storage by attaching it to the NUC and using a third party sync tool (OSX kept coming up with ‘error 36’ messages?) so that worked ok?

Hi @Tim_Woodward,

As noted in the KB: https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK:_Storage_Basics#USB_Storage_Best_Practice

We recommend USB drives connected to ROCK be formatted exFAT if you requires compatibility, or EXT4 if you don’t.

HFS/HFS+ (also known as “Mac OS Journaled”) is read-only, which means that Nucleus will not be able to make changes or store new music/backups on the USB drive.

Glad I salvaged that old 1Tb drive and bought a new enclosure and all! Oh well it was always formatted for the AirPort Extreme so no harm done - I’ll have to try and copy stuff off it to somewhere, reformat and copy it back again! Thanks @dylan I should have checked that :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.