Dolby Atmos Music is now available to Tidal HiFi subscribers

Not be offended in any kind but maybe it is time for you to read a book or two about sound perception, room acoustics and pseudo acoustics. Almost all of your statements are false and based on unknowledgement about the subject. This is not a matter of opinion. Again, no offence but please inform yourself on the subject.

1 Like

I have Yes Fragile 5.1 Blu-Ray mixed by Steve Wilson and it sounds fantastic.

3 Likes

The object based part of Atmos has huge potential for music. I was one of the very first to get to listen to Matt Darey’s Wolf album - written and recorded for native Atmos playback. Clearly showed what could be. I’ve also got R.E.M.'s AFTP 25th Anniversary box which has the album remastered into Atmos - good, but I feel that native would have made it even more immersive. And Pearl Jam’s Atmos application for Gigaton was not great (loved the ‘standard’ album, though). It’s not what you do, it’s the way that you do it.

Incredible…playing out my laptop Dolby Atmos for Headphones using AEON headphones.

Could you show your signal path?

I’m using the Microsoft Dolby Atmos Headphone app on my Dell laptop. It simulates Dolby Atmos through connected headphones and does a pretty good job and sounds great. It probably has nothing to do with the fact this file is Dolby Atmos.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/dolby-access/9n0866fs04w8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

This is the signal path played through my HDMI connected Oppo 203 to sound system. Here it gets mixed down to 5.1 since I don’t have overhead speakers.

I am afraid this is not real ATMOS. Atmos is the metadata saved together with tracks.
whether roon is able to pass / decode dolby atmos?

Correct, I think. And, I’m not sure what my Nucleus is sending to my Oppo via HDMI. But, with the Microsoft Dolby Atmos simulation on my laptop, it certainly sounds great through headphones.

1 Like

I think that’s the normal spatial effect you get from using the Dolby Atmos for Headphone app on Windows. I don’t think the TIDAL app is recognizing that as a “supported device” and it’s not clear decoding is happening especially through Roon.

1 Like

My arcam avr10 (as well as JBL/nad/etc receivers)is a roon endpoint with 5.1.2 Atmos (please add atmos support roon ;-).

My Nvidia shield is Atmos and capable of passing sound over hdmi - which would allow the same capabilities as the arcam for those who have older receivers or who can’t buy Chromecast audio now it’s been discontinued. (Please add endpoint support roon;-).

No mad rush, but many have been asking for shield endpoint/Raat support for a long time …

1 Like

Interesting article with reflections from pro award winning studio surround mixers.
Might clear out things and point towards multichannel being the natural step after 2 channel for a true natural listening experience:

http://sonicscoop.com/2014/01/21/music-in-5-1-dimensions-how-the-best-surround-mixers-approach-the-soundstage/

The only issue is having so many speakers in one room. It’s always going to be niche in the UK.
Women don’t like speakers in general and they certainly don’t want to see them. if you think I’m being sexist, ask them.

That’s why I keep them ladies out of the living room :wink:

By the way, JBL CM 52 or even their Control 1 series (if you can find used ones in good condition) won’t rob the bank, and they require minimum space.

My Marantz SR 8012 (AVR) and the included calibration tool (Audyssey XT 32) woke them up from the dead…and boy do they sing :slight_smile:

My new iPhone 11 Pro Max is supposedly Dolby Atmos capable. I was not aware of that and not why I bought it. Anyway, I’m listening to a Lady Gaga Dolby Atmos playlist on Tidal using the iPhone, Dragonfly Cobalt, and Sony WH-1000xm3 and it sounds incredible. I’m away from home and not using Roon.

I tested the iPhone 11 Pro Max Dolby Atmos feature with several test videos on YouTube and it works very well.

1 Like

I just got an Atmos capable receiver, a Marantz SR6014. I can now listen to Tidal’s Atmos music via Apple TV 4K downmixed to 5.1. I have to say that the majority of the tracks sound good.

Would be great it Roon could play this Atmos music natively !

Is a Feature Request necessary or has one already been done ?

Atmos needs to be bitstreamed over HDMI to the AVR. That’s not difficult as Windows 10 already includes the codec for Desktop use (free download). For whatever reason, Tidal is rolling out Atmos starting from the crappiest audio devices and working their way forward from there. They have not made their Desktop player compatible yet.

A bit awkward for Roon, as users who have DACs would have to select the HDMI output as the device/zone and then switch the AVR to use the HDMI audio input (versus the Analog one). I do this when switching to JRiver to watch movies on my projector. My Roon core is also my HTPC. It works OK for that, but having to switch it up on a track-by-track basis would be kinda brutal.

Still, I’m an Atmos fan and my main system is 5.1 so would be nice to have this option once Tidal brings it to the Desktop.

1 Like

I play Roon via a NUC connected to my receiver by HDMI so it would be perfect for me…

I thought I might check it out, but found it lacking. Listened to the same track (which was Atmos-enabled): Herbie Hancock’s “Speak Like a Child” from the eponymous album via Apple TV gen 4 Tidal app —> Denon AVR-X4500H (via HDMI) and then from Roon Nucleus —> Sonica DAC ----> Denon AVR-X4500H. The SQ was light-years better using the latter setup IMHO.

Sure lots not as ‘discrete’ as some previous versions but good to see surround sound music is being pushed on a big platform like Tidal

Hello - do you use ‘Pure Direct’ on your AVR or do you use a Sound Mode e.g. Dolby Surround? Or other? Thanks.