DoP limitations on a Pi

Does anyone know of any limitations when using DoP on a Pi

I gave both a win 10 and Pi running as end points. When using the Win 10 NUC and the USB native driver for my DAC ( - Teac Ud 503) all is well with the world and I can play DSD 512 files.

However when using the Pi and DoP I’m limited to only DSD 128. Anything above that procedures no sound at all, and the Teac does show receipt of anything.

I’m sure I’ve had DoP running with dsd256 on a PC thus think it’s a limitation of DoP on the Pi

Any ideas ?

DOP is dependent on PCM frequency. 384kHz can only do DSD 128 DOP.

Your DAC would need to be a 768kHz PCM capable DAC to do DSD 256 DOP. 512 isn’t possible via DOP.

2 Likes

I was recently wondering about something very similar to @ian_frost’s question and this answer is very helpful!

Thanks for the confirmation. To access the higher rates then, I’d either need a native Linux driver for the Teac or use a Win based End point ? Or accept the fact I won’t be be able to play my vast collection of 10 DSD 256 and 512 tracks. :slight_smile: At least ROON is able to transcode down.

That would probably apply to any unix based end point then

This contradicts my limited experience with a similar device, and this post:

If possible, please retest DoP256 using a PC and let me know the result. Thank you.

In addition to DoP limitation (PCM max frequency) and sometimes Linux drivers unavailability i was thinking DSD512 transport required ethernet bandwidth > 6MB/ s was perhaps too much for RPI architecture where USB and ethernet bandwidth are shared.

Anybody able to play native DSD512 on a PI ?
Thank you

I’m playing DSD512 on a iFi iDSD connected to Pi (DietPi).
upsampled from redbook to DSD512 on Mac Mini i7 (2012).

I have a TEAC UD-503 as well and I can play up DSD128. No option for native DSD.

However, I do remember that I could play up to DSD256 using another Pi distro, which did allow native DSD for TEAC. I’d have to check which one and whether my memory is correct.

I read somewhere that there is a patch which would allow the TEAC to accept native dsd.

The Ropieee distro allows native DSD for my TEAC UD-503, up to DSD256.

No DSD512. Roon is sending DSD512 to the RPi, but no sound. Perhaps because I’m only getting 0.9 processing speed? Strange, because the iFi iDSD processing speed for redbook->DSD512 is 1.8.

EDIT: I accidentally switched of parallelized processing. Now turned on and processing speed 1.5. Still no sound on DSD512…

Im curious about how well the RPi3 will perform with DSD256. I have tried it and get pops, clicks, and dropouts. I never figured out why, but thought i would ask to see if anyone else knows about this issue.

DSD64 seems to work just fine, but DSD256 never did. I assumed it had to do with the USB port sucking up too much power when streaming such a large amount of data that the Pi just couldn’t keep up and would crap out.

Thoughts?

Experienced the same thing myself and started a thread about it:

What DAC are you using and which OS?

Try playing back a test file DSD512 directly. You can download here:

http://www.diyinhk.com/support/DSDTestTone.rar

If it can playback with a test tone, your DAC can support DSD512 natively.

I had all sorts of issues when I started off with my Teac 503. Using a native dos driver and JRiver all was well, but it wasn’t until I used the Ropieee build within Roon with a Pi that I was able to get over the DOP problem in Roon.

Sean, who wrote Ropieee wrote a native driver for the Teac.

1 Like

Let me correct that. I did not write a native driver, I only built a custom kernel that supports the Teac wrt native DSD.

Now on the topic itself: DSD (whether it’s native or DoP) requires an extensive bandwidth. Doing that on a Raspberry Pi you can run into issues due to the design of the Pi that has a shared bus for both ethernet and USB.

1 Like