DoP with Korg DS-DAC-100m not working right

Hi,

I have an iMac i7 / 32GB running macOS Sierra (10.12.2) set up with roon. While deeply impressed with its gorgeous front end I am definitely not regarding the handling of audio in my multi-room environment (I will comment on this at an other place).

Here I have to report that a KORG DS-DAC-100m directly connected to an iMac USB2 port and correctly configured in roon in “exclusive mode” would not render a DoP-Stream of DSD64. All I can hear is some pink noise and a recognizable but very faint audio signal in it. I played with different buffer settings/sizes and tried out different settings like “use integer mode…” etc. No change here.

Only when I force PCM playback it would work (playback of converted PCM stream).
This is certainly a weird behaviour of roon and I can’t make rhyme nor reason of it.

When I feed the same DSF files to the Korg audio player (AudioGate) DoP resp. DSD rendering works like a charm. The Korg audio drivers are latest version, btw.

Please help!

N.B.: I should add that in “Exclusive Mode” only DSD64 is shown in “green” while DSD128 and DSD256 are “red”. This is, according to the Korg driver features not correct: native DSD128 via DoP is also implemented and working OK.

Best,
/Geefes

I’m not sure what you mean by the above phrase. I had understood native DSD and DoP to be mutually exclusive. DoP being a decimated container for DSD.

The Korg ds dac 100m appears to do native DSD 64 and 128. If so, it won’t work with DoP. The DSD Playback Strategy in Roon should be set to Native, not DoP.

Thanks for your hint. I looked up the specs at the Korg site. I wasn’t aware of the fact that the DS-DAC-100m does not support DoP but only native DSD. DSD native playback on a Mac needs the Korg driver in conjuction with Korg AudioGate player.

So, does this mean that the DS-DAC-100m cannot be used as a player for roon?
At least the device is recognized in roon as “KORG USB Audio Device Driver” - but the option “native” as a DSD Playback Strategy is missing.

Hi @Geefes

I would have expected to see a Native option for you in Playback Strategy. Let’s flag @support and see if they can assist.

Yeah, thanks again, @andybob.
Maybe they just forgot to enable the “native” option because the more recent KORG DS-DAC-10R handles DoP.

Hi @Geefes ----- Thank you for the report and the feedback here. I wanted to touch base with you as I have left a note with my tech team in regard to this behavior you have noticed to see if they can offer some insight.

In the meantime, may I kindly ask you to please provide screenshots of the following:

1. Your audio settings + signal path when you are able to achieve playback successfully through the Korg device.

2. A screenshot of your audio settings when DoP is being used and you noticed the pink noise + faint audio signal in it.

-Eric

@Eric thanks for coming back on this and sorry for being a bit late with my response. Work is eating me up… :wink:

OK, here are the screenshots:

Re (1) - working setup (DSD->PCM)

Re (2) - not working - pink noise & faint audio signal in it

There is no “native DSD” stream choice for the KORG device:

Hope this helps.
Anyway, this is the most exciting piece of music software I have seen in my life!

Best,
-Geefes

Hi @Geefes ---- Thank you for the kind words, glad you’ve been enjoying Roon :sunglasses: and no worries at all :wink: I appreciate the follow up and you taking the time to provide some screenshots/answer my questions.

I did some research into the Korg DS-DAC-100m and noticed that there is a drive installation required for this device found under support on the Korg website.

Can you confirm for me if this was download and installed on your MAC?

-Eric

Hi @Eric , sorry, am a bit late again, same problem (had to travel)…

Yes, I have exactly this version of the KORG player and drivers installed on the iMac.
I fiddled a bit with the different parameters of roon like buffer sizes etc. but this did not change things. All what I can hear when roon outputs DoP to the Korg driver is some very low level pink noise with a faint but probably not distorted audio signal (maybe it is too faint to hear distortion).

Playing the same DSD (DSF) files directly with the Korg/Audiogate software is working correctly.

Best,
-Geefes

Hi @Geefes — Thank you for the follow up and verifying that information for me.

Moving forward, I’d like to grab some logs from you so we can take a closer look at what may be going on here. I will be contacting you via PM with instructions.

-Eric

After doing some research, it appears that the Korg DS-DAC-100m can only stream native DSD via the AudioGate software.

Taken from FAQ about AudioGate 4

1 Like