Downgrade If I dont Like 1.8

I want my Roon 1.7 back, I can’t describe such a ■■■■■■■■ with 1.8. It starts on a computer with immediate crashes when moving the mouse, on other devices half of the menu is missing, Roon no longer knows artists. My phone and tablet are still 1.7, I don’t dare to call up Roon. Today I had to listen to music directly through Tidal and Qobuz, it works wonderfully, I will not extend my Roon subscription anymore, although I also have RoonReady devices, there is also a different way with JRiver, they don’t give a ■■■■ and kill themselves ! Today I try to downgrade, nothing works, you don’t get any help for a lot of money etc. GoodBay Roon !!!

On my Intel NUC8I7, Roon no longer runs at all, it crashes when called, it can be called on another NUC8I5 in the basement, but the menus are missing and the settings are not there.

The Roon server runs on a Synology NAS, it was also updated to 1.8, I think the whole system is defective, you definitely won’t get it back to 1.7. Great Roon !!

[image]

[image]

[image]

2 Likes

Considering that roon just f… up big time with this release and on so many levels (usability, functionality, aesthetically) and way above the personal taste dilemma (the new interface is an abomination and against any decent design rules from the color schema and fonts to the countless inconsistencies between screens) the decent thing to do will be to put back version 1.7 to the download page, get their s… together and start working to 1.8 all over again. At least they now have more than 1000 clues for where things are bad, where are very bad and where are a disaster…

6 Likes

You need to update your control devices to 1.8 before updating your Core. They keep reminding us of that, you know.

Make Roon great again!

3 Likes

Looking for a way to go back to a more user friendly version such as 1.7.

Any help will be appreciated…

Thanks!!!

4 Likes

Don’t forget to vote everyone

I’m perfectly happy with Roon 1.8, but you can uninstall and reinstall 1.7 if you downloaded (and kept) the Installer Apps prior to the launch of 1.8. There’s no way to go back with an Apple remote, but Android older versions can also be obtained.

1 Like

i FULLY AGREE…!

1 Like

Anyone who thinks this is happening is smoking something and you should understand you are in the minority here. If you want to contribute to 1.8, please contribute a suggestion on where you’re having issues.

2 Likes

Lifetime subscriber, I never thought about versions until now, power cycled my Mac Pro music server and was subjected to an update on running Roon which I did not expect and it does not work well at all. This is hour 3 for me of 1.8 and I just logged on here and see a lot of people have commented and I am not sure I want to talk about it much seeing the responses by people not having issues but mine are many and include response so slow I repeatedly click on things only for the fifth thing I clicked actually runs, stopping in the middle of a song - that’s new, at one point on streaming it cycled through the first millisecond of 4 titles only to say there was an error in playback (or something, never had it before, I will take pictures if I see that again) things I like are gone - I would love to have been writing about just those - like please put back the play button on songs in my play history or resurrect the full path in file info - things I never thought I would have lost. I work a high stress job and my system is my decompression and so I just want to restore from a backup which I have several of and not have it force me to this new version for a while. I will say that when it worked poorly on Catalina I put in my SSD of Roon on Mojave to remind myself of things I remembered liking on 1.7 and all was well until I shut down and re-ran Roon only for it to give me the database update and take me to 1.8 where it ran like it did on Catalina. What do I do?
Please.

I’m not sure if everyone had the same experience, but my 1.8 system was very slow at first. Took a long time to get artist overviews and discography. I think it was Roon building up the new structures for your library but this is just a guess. All I can say that now 1.8 is so much more snappy for me than 1.7. It’s really fast.

The couple of things you listed in your post are still there, but many things have been designed differently in the new ux. You just have to get used to it, just give it some time… You can play a track in your history by clicking on the track name and select what you want from the pop up. The full file path info for tracks is still there (for those that are in your library) if you click the 3 dots to the right of the track…

If your system is stopping mid playback, you need to ask support for help. That’s not right.

I hope things settle down for you…

1 Like

Thanks, I will stop trying to go right back and let it sit overnight to see if it fixes itself. I like hearing that it can be snappy again because it certainly is not now and that is on a dedicated 12 core server that ran 1.7 just fine.

What I saw missing in history were the little play buttons, it seems now I can make a playlist from history which is good but to play back a single track I have to click on the song then go to the top to hit play other times clicking on the song took me to the album the song was on, not what I wanted. Roon radio knows me so well I couldn’t leave the room in case I would miss something good, I like to go back and hear those again easily. It is not as easy now and seemed random.

I see now that the source icons (local, tidal, qobuz) are so small I figured files had played from my collection where I had a duplicate quality file but it was playing more from Tidal, that was the reason for the lack of path, there was none, just tidal.

Just not the surprise I wanted. I see people saying that expectation for this update was built up but some of us just use it and don’t expect such a change without a choice or warning. Especially those of us with a server in the basement doing science when its not playing music.

Going to let it cook and come back. In fact I might cook something and come back.

Thanks again Craig.

Nah just a crap update. Objectively. It’s a different skew, not an update. I rarely defend Adobe but at least with Lightroom they went with a second version run at the same time. Cloud and Original. At least it’s an honest indication of a new direction and gives people time with the original to try the new, or find an alternative brand.

3 Likes

I think forum replies simply look better in Russian :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Not much does different from what apple does.
Just saying.

Mojave is still supported and gets security patches. By the end of this year I’m sure that will change.

High Sierra is now unsupported. Services still work but over time I’m sure that’ll change too.

The only issue is that if you upgraded iOS apps you’re screwed using them as remotes with 1.7 ever again.

Why can you delete the Roon Remote 1.8 iOS app and reinstall the Roon Remote 1.7 iOS app if Roon Labs will make 1.7 available?

… that means, in other words, that you MUST update… so please we should avoid cover the truth with b.s. … we pay for a service and they decide what service they supply… and you customer… shut up! Don’t brake balls!

by the way… I would downgrade the app in my mobile back to 1.7… impossible, right?

What’s your mobile? You can roll back Android.

T&Cs make clear what you’re paying for.

What’s with the aggression? It’s a piece of software. Don’t get too agitated.

1 Like

really? Samsung S9+

How?