[Poll] Gauging the overall mood

On the face of it, this release looks like the most polarising ever. I thought it would be interesting to unscientifically sample how users are feeling about it. I’ll set the poll to close in 72 hours as Roon may apply hotfixes and changes shortly, based on user feedback.

So how’s your 1.8 experience?
  • 1 - Very negative
  • 2 - Somewhat negative
  • 3 - Neutral
  • 4 - Somewhat positive
  • 5 - Very positive

0 voters

25 Likes

First upgrade with Roon for me.
Are all the previous upgrades so negative or is just the vocal few yelling at someone to get off their lawn?

8 Likes

This is a huge change in UI, and if nothing else, that gets people’s juices going.

The forum’s fallen over about half a dozen times so it’s fair to say people are “engaged”. :smiley:

Hopefully the poll will shed a bit of light on that.

This was a good idea to conduct a poll

4 Likes

The ones that are most negative yell the most…same as it ever was…

3 Likes

Well, wouldn’t you be ■■■■■■ too if the update bricked your library, and there is no real recourse other than praying Roon Labs issues a patch soon? I know I am. x_X

3 Likes

Don’t like all of the design choices (dark blue letters against black, oy) and things seem harder to find but the vertical scrolling and the vertical iPad view are great. It may be my imagination but sound is also very slightly different for the better. Then again I’ve been lucky not to run into the bugginess that others are experiencing. People tend to forget that no design change was intended to “piss anyone off”. We all love the product and want it to be a success, as do the folks at Roon. If we don’t like something get enough buzz going and I’m sure they will change it back.

2 Likes

I really like the appearance, and portrait support on the 10" iPad. I wish that songs showed which (if any) playlists they appeared under. But I love all the new sections and focus abilities.

6 Likes

On the whole I think it’s been a positive set of changes. Admittedly there are areas with bugs, scrolling, extensions, intermittent actions - but on balance a release, typical of most software companies. Roon will see through all the crud and bottom feeders and roll out the appropriate fixes as needed. First world problems eh…you’ve got to smile :smiley:

1 Like

I adore 1.8. the look & feel, the UI, the layout of the graphic, button elements on my iPhone look good.
However, there are still works to do on the desktop version, and there are quite few feedback in those areas.

2 Likes

First world problems

4 Likes

The music sounds great, the U/I will take some discovery and Roon Radio is working. No complaints!

I like the new look and discovery features. Portrait mode on the iPad is welcome. The only real negative for me was the removal of playlists and tags in the track list, something I relied on pretty heavily. I don’t think I realized how heavily until it was taken away. Removing this in 1.8 makes little sense and hopefully they will be restoring this functionality quickly.

1 Like

My question as well as this was also my first upgrade. I’ve been on the internet before so I’m aware the disgruntled are usually the loudest, but I’m interested in this poll as I tend to agree with the negative reaction (marked myself slightly negative).l, and want to see if where most people sit.

1 Like

Need two votes for a true reflection,

I’ve only been using Roon for a few months so don’t feel religiously about button size or position and think the new look is an improvement. And the composer section is a huge improvement. So a highly positive vote.

But the release itself was anything but smooth, and suggests that Roon needs to improve their testing, beta testing program and perhaps hire some new hands to help with their move to the cloud. At the very least get some help with provisioning their forum software as nothing builds confidence in a software company like a downed website.

4 Likes

Get out the vote y’all :raised_hands:

1 Like

I wish they did not connect the “In Their Prime” page to Tidal & Qobuz subscribers only and not for non-subscribers. I am a Tidal subscriber but I find it completely unfair and deceptive.

Somebody wrote, change is always difficult, give it some time to get used to it.
What Miles Davis said, and Bob Dylan and Stravinsky.

2 Likes

Somewhat negative. :frowning: I love new focus, new summary view and changes in desktop app overall but I cannot understand and accept removed album cover miniatures in playlist view in mobile app. I have long playlists composed of songs from dozens of CDs and they helped me to navigate through them a lot. It could be at least configurable in settings. Now all I see is wall of text making it no fun to use. This really puts me off from getting another year of Roon. :frowning:

I voted neutral, at this point. The initial launch issues (like slow play and server issues) are only transient so they don’t figure with me. I greatly appreciate the UI refresh, and I think it heads in the right direction (for my taste). I need more time to understand the new features and the way the recommendations are presented. The scrolling is exceedingly janky in the apps that I’ve seen so far. Without rehashing the “beta tester” debate in another thread, I am a little surprised it launched with that particular bug. It resets the view and makes it almost unusable. I think they got a little more caught up in the hype than they probably should have - the hype should really match the level of polish. In the end it will be fine.

1 Like