Downgrade If I dont Like 1.8

I find it surprising that folk are so shocked that a software system with so much functionality and that so heavily relies on external services does not remain stationary.

Things change, things get better and so the world moves on.

The system you are so attached to now was once an update of a previous system.

8 Likes

Ahhh, this is what Zsa Zsa Gabor and Elizabeth Taylor were thinkingā€¦

That was sexual abuse of a minor. But of course, with eight marriages he also qualifies for the ā€˜donā€™t get attached but look forward to updating in the futureā€™ mindsetā€¦

I stopped reading thereā€¦ sighā€¦

7 Likes

See my answer above. No one at Apple forces me to update if I donā€™t want to. This is why I still use Mojave and all is fine.

They do if you want to keep using Appleā€™s cloud services, or get support from them.

1 Like

Please can you give me an example of when Roon has done this? Again, I ask what customer rights have been infringed? You seem to be making generalised statements without giving specific examples, i.e. references to actual laws.

Again, a specific question. Are Roon forcing you to update? You can keep 1.7 and this will continue to work.

It appears that you are creating a straw-man argument in order to express your frustrations. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with expressing frustration, but in order for this to be constructive you really do need to present some objective evidence that exists outside of your subjective experience.

3 Likes

I have always had high skepticism about Roon - its price, combined with the fact that other software like JRiver will do 90% of what it doesā€¦ at seemingly a fraction of the priceā€¦ Then, they started offering a payment scheme I could live with - and so far, my impressions are positive - things I donā€™t like? many. BUT what like, so far, I like a lot. What I am saying, I am no shill for Roon Labs - BUT

This post nails it. This is reasonable. Sure, things might go awry, either in general or re: oneā€™s particular setup. From what I have been able to learn, the update can be turned off. The 1.7 version will workā€¦ until it doesnā€™t - by then there is a good chance that all the kinks in 1.8 have been worked outā€¦

This is more or less how most SSS applications work - so do not fretā€¦ patience - or like I mentioned, change software - thru open source, for example, software like Volumio will do most of what Roon can do - experience will be different definitelyā€¦ so well - up to you!

v

2 Likes

I continue using their cloud services and having access to their customer service under Mojave.

Perhaps people are missing my point here: as hinted above, it is perfectly fine for Roon to:

• Update its software on a regular basis;
  • deprecate support for previous versions, in so far as they might require unreasonable support structures that are considerably different from the current version;
  • remove the possibility for downgrades once an update is applied;
  • incentivize updates.

It is NOT fine to:

• force paying customers to update without their knowledge/consent;
  • block a previous version from working without reasonable justification;
  • assume that because ā€œI own the software I can simply revoke a paid license without reasonā€.

Now did I say that Roon did or intends to do any of the above? Of course not. I was just being sympathetic to the OPā€™s original plea for a reasonable approach towards updates, particularly given the risk of unintended incompatibility or bugs.

Over and out.

1 Like

I upgraded my IOS app and then was told it was incompatible with older versions of Roon. I come to the forum and see ā€œYouā€™ll need 1.8 on both your Core and your Remotes, so make sure 1.8 is available in your favorite app store first!ā€.
Roon really, really should have placed this warning in the release notes of the IOS app (there is no mention at all of it there). I wanted to wait a while to upgrade my core to be absolutely sure there were no issues (which there seem to be some) but now Iā€™m left with an unuseable remote.

2 Likes

The Core upgrade was waiting on the iOS, Android and Amazon apps being made available by Apple, Google and Android. Since they are now rolling out, the Core upgrade is also now available to you.

But I donā€™t want to upgrade the core now. I want to see what 1.8 is really like from others and if there are annoyances and bugs. Which it seems there are. But now Iā€™ve upgraded IOS app to 1.8 I am stuck unable to use my IOS app or be forced to upgrade the core to 1.8. Would it have been really hard to mention this critical point somewhere in the 6 paragraphs of release notes?

3 Likes

Updating to 1.8 looks to have been a huge mistake on may part. Never would have guessed that the functionality for me is gone. Now I ā€œmightā€ own a Lifetime of a boat anchor.

5 Likes

What missing functionality are you talking about?

First, the number of albums I can display on either my laptop screen or iPad Pro is down my 50%.

Second, the ā€œabcā€ jump function is missing in the album view. I cannot select a letter and jump to that to choose what I want to play. I have to scroll thru screen after screen.

3 Likes

On my mac, the scroll bar shows alphabet letter (if sorted by artist) or date (if sorted by date added). Makes it easy to jump, pretty much like 1.7

Iā€™m with you on that one. I would much prefer to be able to include more artists on the screen, and more albums when in album view. Iā€™m also not especially impressed that the artist graphics are now round - a la Audirvana. This seems graphically clumsy, for want of a better way of putting it.

2 Likes

Agreed. Itā€™s awful.

1 Like

Roon is now scaling itself based on your screen settings I think. Try changing your display settings and see if the number of albums can be increased. For what itā€™s worth I had a similar issue in my android tablet and playing with the display settings helped.

@Occamsrazor, why did you update the app on the day 1.8 was released?

Apple never lets you go backwards.