Dreaded pink box containing "Error Loading Page, please check your network connection"

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Core is latest version 1.7 (528) running on a quad core i7 MacMini with 16gb of RAM and greater than 200gb of free HD space. Running MacOS 10.15.4
My digital collection contains ~76k tracks, residing on a Drobo 5N on my local network. All wired with CAT6.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

The router is a Synology RT2600ac (ehternet).

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

In an effort to simplify the system, I’m only running one pair of speakers and they are connected via RCA plugs to a Bluesound Node 2i (hardwired via ethernet to the server)

Description Of Issue

~50% of the time I open Roon and am greeted by the pink box containing “Error Loading Page, please check your network connection” Although I subscribe to Tidal and Qobuz, and they are currently logged in, they don’t show up on the overview page and are blank on their own individual sections. Not listed as “versions” either. When Roon does work correctly, it only lasts for a few hours and then the server will need to be restarted. I try to leave the server running 24/7, but have noticed that many times I get up in the morning and the Roon server is no longer running. I’m not having any issues with other applications like Plex or Apple Music, so I really am at a loss for how to fix Roon.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Hi @Jason_Butler,

Does this issue still occur after a reboot of the Core machine?

Besides the Synology router is there any other networking gear in place?

The issue can be cleared up with a restart of the Roon Core, but doesn’t require a reboot of the MacMini. The only other piece of networking gear between the MacMini and the Drobo is an unmanaged ethernet switch (Netgear GS308).

A further piece of troubleshooting info:
It looks like Roon server works flawlessly if I log out of Tidal and Qobuz and use my own Drobo 5N music collection.

Hope that helps,

Jason

Hi @Jason_Butler,

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

After many trouble free tracks served from my Drobo 5N today with Tidal and Qobuz disabled, I re-enabled Tidal and started getting the pink box immediately. Time UTC 00:18 I then tried to play a track at UTC 00:20 and received “too many failures. stopping playback”.
I have been listening to Tidal through their dedicated Mac app for multiple hours today without interruption. My internet speed measured by speedtest.net is 589mbps down and 17mbps up.

Listening flawlessly to my library on Drobo 5N, but browsing Tidal offerings UTC 06:24, encountered dreaded pink “error loading page…” box. As mentioned previously, Roon performs perfectly for me when neither Tidal or Qobuz are in the mix…

Thanks, @Jason_Butler.

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

3 days have passed with the same persistent issues, all relating to having Tidal enabled. Tidal continues to stream perfectly through it’s own app or any web browers

Hi @Jason_Butler,

I spoke with the team about this today and we have some upcoming changes to our TIDAL integration that we believe might help here. This is still currently being tested to the team so I can’t provide any specific timelines, but definitely keep an eye on the #roon:software-release-notes section and after this next release let us know if things have improved for you.

Thanks!

Wow! Sounds like you’re admitting that this is a software issue… I’m not even close to the only person having streaming issues like this, and we’ve been through a lot of troubleshooting only to have our issues unresolved until a “future update” with no estimated date. Don’t get me wrong, I really appreciate the beautiful artwork that only Roon provides! That said, what I really believed I was paying for was integration. I’ve been using Plex for my video collection for a number of years and paid less for a lifetime subscription than I pay with one year of Roon. Tidal is now streaming perfectly on my system through both it’s own app, it’s website using any browser I see fit, AND through Plex. I really hope my tone makes clear that I won’t be resubscribing to Roon next year unless it’s promise of integration between my collection and streaming services becomes reliable. In my opinion, it’s FAR too expensive for this lack of development capability!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.