Dreadfully slow

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

win10 .64 bit 6gb ram. i5 2.50ghz. roon 1.7. new free trial

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

hard drive attached to pc. ethernet to talktalk box. fairly quick

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

connected to a usb dongle

Description Of Issue

Everything is slow. takes 15 secs to react to a click. a screen takes 5 secs a album art to fill in

Ive given up and uninstalled… slower than a slow thing… only thing that worked was the android remote app.

Hi @grant_brown — Apologies for the trouble here!

Was Roon still importing media and analyzing your tracks? During this initial import things can run a little slow depending on Core performance and library size, but once it completes things should work well for you.

I dont think so. it had been running for hours. I only have 1000 albums so under 500gb. not a huge library.
must have been on for 4hrs.
I have Audirvana and jriver and both do the task in minutes, not hrs.

A few guys I know who use it said to try the server but that isnt really suitable as i only have an android phone.

Such is life, but there is something up with the program as this pc although not my fastest is fast enough.

Can easily take that long depending on the speed of the computer and if it is doing other tasks. Unlike those other programs, Roon is doing an initial Audio Analysis of each music file to create a wave form for playback and to generate volume leveling numbers.

To see if this is indeed the cause of the initial slowness, you can turn off Library Analysis and see if things speed up.

Yeah, Jriver does that(or can) and it takes time, but not that long…anyway i deleted the whole thing and will start again. leaving it on all night and see how it behaves in morning.(incase the download was at fault

Thanks for the update, @grant_brown.

Definitely let us know how things are going in the morning and we can take a look. I’m confident we can get you up and running so you can give the trial a good run :smiley:

Well the fast pc that i made core works well and quickly. set itself up quick too although the problem is the other pc… its still sill slow and takes an age in between a single movement of mouse. when I switched off library calculations it made no difference.
This slow laptop is a i5 2.5 ghz pavillion with 6gb ram. local hard disc has plenty of space left.

Not much cpu or memory is being used. no more than say a browser would… in fact less.

as i said before i can run audirvana and jriver on same machine and have no slowing effect plus a browser window.

The issue may be graphics. Try seeking out the latest driver for that model laptop.

Hi Henry, I just tried that but its up to date… its an Intel HD Graphics 4000 card.

Try installing the 32bit Roon on that laptop. It sounds like the known issue with some versions of the Intel HD Graphics driver and the OpenGL library used in Roon. The workaround is to use the 32bit version of Roon.

1 Like

ok, will do…cheers

That seems to have cured it. Thanks… running fairly fast now.(as I’d expect, not quite as quick as the main one)
one other point it doesnt seem to see my wma downloads that are on the disc. Is this normal?

Glad we have gotten to the bottom of that one. I don’t possess any WMA tracks so I can’t check that.

They come from Qobuz.

They ought to work then I would have thought.
@dylan any thoughts?

Wma is not a supported format in Roon I believe

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_audio_file_formats_does_Roon_support%3F

Low-hanging fruit, but did you make sure Roon itself (not your library of music files, but the app itself) is installed on a solid state drive (if you don’t know what those are, easiest way to tell is they don’t make any noise or vibrate, even a little bit, when they spin up) ?

ok, such is life… odd tho and damned inconvenient as i have a load of them from Qobuz.

I have no ssd’s alas just hdd’s. all usb3 but, yes i get your point… but i havent got any issues with other programs