Drive-By Truckers - an intriguing font difference! [Roon Investigating]

Content you’re reporting an issue with

One artist with a different font from all others (or so it would seem!)

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

N/A

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

N/A

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

The font for the artist’s name appears to be different from the font used for other artists and I’m not sure why this should be the case.

Moved to #support (this is a product issue, not a metadata issue).

1 Like

Thanks Joel - you’re quite right. Not sure why I posted it in metadata!

Interesting find!
Filtering for artists in my library with a hyphen sign in their name, it appears Drive-By Truckers are in (arguably) good company - see below. Perhaps some version of character encoding for hyphen is the trigger?

Those with a green V / tick below all render with the sans-serif font like Drive-By Truckers above, nearly a nice 50% hit rate for the ones I checked.

(Linux core on SonicOrbiter, checked with remote on MacOS and Android)

1 Like

Removing a hyphen does indeed force the font to change.

2 Likes

Thank you to @ToneDeaf and @Arlen. I replicated the forced change. Interesting that the hyphen triggers the change in font.

This behavior kicks in to make sure that we only use the stylized font if all characters are available. If not, it falls back to a simple, but very comprehensive font. This beahvior prevents mixing of different fonts in the same block of text, which is really unsightly if it happens.

In this case, it’s not ideal behavior because the only missing character here is likely the dash. We’ll look into this and see if we can smooth it out.

5 Likes

Maybe that behavior should kick in on all screens you use the stylized font (or other fonts with low character coverage)? A bad example:

Btw.: Also the sorting algorithm should be checked? Don’t come symbols and numbers before letters?
Should this be treated as the math symbol or the Greek letter? (In the specific example the math symbol is meant.)

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet and Eero wifi

Connected Audio Devices

ultraRendu/Brooklyn DAC+
multiple Sonos 1’s, 5’s and Amps

Number of Tracks in Library

80,000+

Description of Issue

I’ve noticed that in a small number of cases, the font used on the Artist and Album pages is a Sans-Serif rather than the usual Serif. This is happening on just a very few albums and artists, and its the same on both my Mac and my iPhone. See examples below:

Hi @HeavyMetalDrummer,

Roon are aware and are investigating, I’ve merged your post here with the other reports.

1 Like