Drive-By Truckers - an intriguing font difference! [Roon Investigating]

Content you’re reporting an issue with

One artist with a different font from all others (or so it would seem!)

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

N/A

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

N/A

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

The font for the artist’s name appears to be different from the font used for other artists and I’m not sure why this should be the case.

1 Like

Moved to #support (this is a product issue, not a metadata issue).

1 Like

Thanks Joel - you’re quite right. Not sure why I posted it in metadata!

Interesting find!
Filtering for artists in my library with a hyphen sign in their name, it appears Drive-By Truckers are in (arguably) good company - see below. Perhaps some version of character encoding for hyphen is the trigger?

Those with a green V / tick below all render with the sans-serif font like Drive-By Truckers above, nearly a nice 50% hit rate for the ones I checked.

(Linux core on SonicOrbiter, checked with remote on MacOS and Android)

1 Like

Removing a hyphen does indeed force the font to change.

2 Likes

Thank you to @ToneDeaf and @Arlen. I replicated the forced change. Interesting that the hyphen triggers the change in font.

This behavior kicks in to make sure that we only use the stylized font if all characters are available. If not, it falls back to a simple, but very comprehensive font. This beahvior prevents mixing of different fonts in the same block of text, which is really unsightly if it happens.

In this case, it’s not ideal behavior because the only missing character here is likely the dash. We’ll look into this and see if we can smooth it out.

6 Likes

Maybe that behavior should kick in on all screens you use the stylized font (or other fonts with low character coverage)? A bad example:

Btw.: Also the sorting algorithm should be checked? Don’t come symbols and numbers before letters?
Should this be treated as the math symbol or the Greek letter? (In the specific example the math symbol is meant.)

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet and Eero wifi

Connected Audio Devices

ultraRendu/Brooklyn DAC+
multiple Sonos 1’s, 5’s and Amps

Number of Tracks in Library

80,000+

Description of Issue

I’ve noticed that in a small number of cases, the font used on the Artist and Album pages is a Sans-Serif rather than the usual Serif. This is happening on just a very few albums and artists, and its the same on both my Mac and my iPhone. See examples below:

Hi @HeavyMetalDrummer,

Roon are aware and are investigating, I’ve merged your post here with the other reports.

1 Like

I noticed that the font changes from the usual serif style font to a sans-serif when the artist name includes a special character. E.G.: The Go-Go’s, Jean-Michel Jarre.

It’s not really an issue but I just thought I’d mention it for the sake of consistency. The sane thing happens on PC, Mac and iPhone. As someone who works with databases and websites, I’m guessing it’s a character encoding problem and/or the string needs to be escaped/unescaped and the error is causing the program to drop to a default font.

Cheers!

Read also (with some explanation):

2 Likes

Yup… exact issue. I just didn’t see the thread when I doing a search :frowning:

I’ve had the font problem before as a courseware/CMS designer. The only way I managed to get around it was to get a font editor, copy needed characters from another font into the unused font spaces, and then use a case/if statement to replace characters such as a dash / minus sign with the escaped character that refers to the newly added glyph.

The minus sign is a really strange thing to be missing from the font set. You could also use something like a span tag just for the missing character. EG…

Jean<span style=“font-face: Serif;”>-</span>Michel Jarre

Having looked into the Grifo font, it does have hyphens, dashes, minus signs, etc. An issue I’ve found recently is that depending on how the specific programming language is dealing with strings, it might consider the minus sign as a cue to attempt a numerical calculation with the string parts before and after as obviously non-existent variables. Should this throw an error, it could resort in an if/then decision being made.

Hi @Paul_Robinson3,

Thank you for the report. I’ve merged it with the existing thread.

While the team doesn’t have an update on the timeline to resolution for this issue, we’re investigating it actively and will post follow up here in this thread. I appreciate you calling this to our attention.

1 Like