Dropouts - New Mac Mini

I’m starting to suspect a USB issue. Digging through the logs it looks like there is a re-sync going on but I’m not sure if that is “normal”. If anyone can confirm my thoughts that would be extremely helpful.

Here is a link to my log files.

Will put together and try a Raspberry Pi bridge this weekend and try that.

wklie - just read your link more thoroughly. Apologies, that is really helpful.
I’ll try simply killing timed and see if that helps if no, I’ll setup the MAC as stand-alone (it’s currently headless) and shutdown all of the network interfaces.
That could explain the re-sync that I am seeing in the logs.
I’ll provide feedback as I work through this.
Appreciate it!

I have been running my Roon Core on an older Mac Mini for some time with very few problems. Upgraded WiFi to Eero recently and things worked so well that I ended up ditching the ethernet cable altogether and the clutter that goes with it. And that is with streaming all TV in the house over the same Eero network.

But - if I recall when I first set up the Mac Mini as Core I was having minor dropouts which seemed to be network related. They were corrected by deleting any network connections OTHER than my preferred one in the preference panel. In my case I think it was ditching bluetooth and ethernet. Similarly - my MacBook Air was constantly connecting and disconnecting to WiFi until I deleted the bluetooth networking connection. I found lots of references in the apple forums to people very frustrated by similar issues - as if the computer is always checking in on all networking options for some reason when one is usually all that is needed.

Good luck.

So - here is where I have landed…

I made sure that all of the interfaces are shutdown that I am not using. No change. I tried to kill timed but as soon as I do the MAC starts a new one. Tricky!!

I built a ROON bridge using a Raspberry PI 3 B+ (I had an extra) and ropieee software. I’ve been playing FLAC and DSD files all afternoon without a single issue. Since this is the recommended Roon config, I’m done!! I’ve been on the fence about buying a ultraRendu and this nailed it - I just ordered one.
As a side note, I’m really happy with the MacMini in every way with the exception of this issue.
Side note 2, I’m running backblaze on the MacMini to backup my music. It works very well.

Chris,
I am experiencing a dropout (just a ½ or a whole second of silence and song picks back up in what appears to be the same spot) or two every hour, I am running a very similar 32gb 2018 Mini headless w/o any DSP and so forth similar to your setup. My question is are you still running the Mini with the Pi and if will you run the Ultrarendu with mini also?
Joe

Joe,
I’ve been using the PI Roon bridge since my post and I haven’t had a single dropout since. Before I was experiencing what you describe. I think the earlier post from wklie has it right.
I’m going to replace the raspberry pi with the ultraRendu when it arrives tomorrow. I’m looking forward to checking it out. I’ll leave a note once I’ve set it up and had a chance to listen to it for a bit.
Chris

I’ve replaced the PI Roon bridge with a ultraRendu + iFi 9v Power supply and it also works great. So far I’m very happy with the ultraRendu and am glad to land on a solution to the issue. I’ve listened to the ultraRendu for more than 5 hours and haven’t had any dropouts.
As I think about it, it makes sense as the PI Roon bridge and ultraRendu contain their own timing for the USB port so it would completely decouple it from any USB timing issues on the MacMini. With that being said, I really like the setup of the MacMini and the ultraRendu.
Time to listen to some music. :slightly_smiling_face:
Chris

Thanks for reply Chris, I tried an Ifi iGalvanic 3.0 this morning and all three switch positions introduced dropouts very frequently, even unlistenable. Removed it from the chain. Switched from my Brooklyn Dac+ to the Parasound P6 just now and am going to add an ultraRendu to the chain. I have an Orb satellite behind by rack so I will run Mac mini ethernet into the Orbi and then into Rendu and then P6. Thanks again

Joseph - you bet. Let me know how you like it - so far I’ve been very happy with the ultraRendu. BTW - I started down the path that you were thinking by buying an Audioquest jitter-bug but never even took it out of the package once the PI bridge was working. Good to know that USB conditioners won’t correct it.

Chris

I’ve been using a jitterbug for a year :man_facepalming:t2:. Did not have the drops via Ethernet into kef ls50w as Roon endpoint now that I think about it.

Yesterday I Swapped out the Brooklyn Dac+ for a Parasound P6 (using the P6 as a dac as well as phono stage) and haven’t had a dropout since that I can recall.

Mac Mini Roon Core to Jitterbug to P6 via Audioquest USB A - B. This is odd. Settings in Roon are DSD over DoP.

Joseph,
That is odd. Maybe the Parasound has enough buffering to take a hiccup in the USB data stream? Total guess on my part.
Chris

Here’s a link to a recent fairly authoritative article attributing the problem to the T2 chip:
http://cdm.link/2019/02/apple-2018-glitch/

(Glad I returned mine.)

1 Like