Dropouts via Bluesound Node 2i

Hey @Ed_Kutrowski,

Thanks for letting me know!

As it stands, you’re only running into brief dropouts when listening to internet radio only?

If possible, are you able to test routing your core straight to your router, bypassing any switches you have set between the two, and testing to see if the issue persists? Does this issue happen when playing audio from your system output, or any directly connected audio devices?

With that, if you are still seeing dropouts could you grab a few timestamps of when the dropouts occur specifically, so our team can take a deeper look into your account to see what might be happening?

I’ve been through all the fiddling with the home network, but I’d be glad to share some timestamps. How do I get them?

1 Like

@Ed_Kutrowski write down the date and time of the dropouts (a few would be best) and simply share them with me here :+1:

Here are some, eastern standard time:
1:49 30 June 2022
1:51 30 June 2022
No further dropouts as of 1:58

Hey @Ed_Kutrowski,

Thanks for sharing. After reviewing your account, we are seeing dropouts occurring due to network inconsistencies. I am curious to know:

1. Can you test playing the same radio station through both your system output and the Bluesound, and get the same dropout results, or does one continue to play audio?

2. We’re seeing the dropouts consistently with CBC Radio One Ottawa, do you see it happen while on other stations? We do always have to consider the consistency of the stream provided by the radio station itself, which might play a part in the dropouts.

1. All is fine with the Bluesound on its own. All internet radio, and playback from local NAS.
  2. Dropouts occur on other radio stations, such WMBR Cambridge, BBC, etc.

Hey @Ed_Kutrowski,

Thanks for all your patience throughout our time digging into this issue. I wanted to circle back on a few thoughts:

1. How are the nodes connected to your core?
  2. Are radio dropouts happening at all from any of your desktop remotes or maestro x9? Or, it is still just the Bluesound node?

If it is still the node, can you disable it in roon, reboot your core, and reconnect the node? Simple, but we’ve seen success with this in the past from other users.

Also worth trying: giving the node a hard reset (I’m sure you’ve tried this, but always good to try a few times!)

1. Network is flat architecture feeding into a tp-link 8 port switch feeding into the modem.
  2. Dropouts happen on all devices, including home computer, Bluesound Node 2i, and Maestro X9

If it is still the node, can you disable it in roon, reboot your core, and reconnect the node? Simple, but we’ve seen success with this in the past from other users. - Not sure what you mean by disabling.

I’ve reset the Bluesound, no change.

Hey @Ed_Kutrowski,

Thanks for the update. To confirm, you now see dropouts across all devices, not strictly from your Bluesound.

After reviewing diagnostics on your account, we found a mounting error that can either happen when the NAS is disconnected or when there is a translation issue from NAS hostname to IP address.

Have you tried switching over to using an IP address? Using an IP address instead of a hostname is generally more reliable. If you do this, then also ensure Address Reservation is used, so IP stays the same.

And lastly, we had previously discussed simplifying your network setup for testing, involving a re-routing of your core straight to your router, bypassing any switches you have set between the two. Have you tested this?

Thanks, Ed!

OK, changed to IP address, so I’ll check in after my library has been rescanned. It’s a big library so it will take some time. I’ll try jacking directly into the modem (rather than via the switch) after the library has been scanned. Note that this creates an additional subnetwork, so I will only leave it like that until the test is done.

1 Like

Still having internet radio dropouts. They happen when the control app indicates that it’s searching for the Core, and too much time passes before it reconnects (the time it takes for the indicator to rotate through 270 degrees, say 5 seconds).

Hey @Ed_Kutrowski,

Please share the speific radio stations you are experiencing the dropouts for. Are these dropout now only occurring over radio? Or, does it happen when streaming local files as well?

Please provide a timestamp or two of when these dropouts occur, thanks!

File sent via your uploader at 1:37 pm Eastern named Ed Kutrowski- kutrowski@sympatico.ca
Dropouts at around 9 am EDT or 15:00 Greenwich

Hey @Ed_Kutrowski,

Thanks for sending these over. After enabling diagnostics on your account and taking a deeper look, we’re seeing a good amount of network-based errors from both the node and your system output.

A few things we can try : a factory reset on your bluesound node. This is the #1 suggested solution in terms of audio drop-out from their site.

Give your RAAT server a refresh:

You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

Lastly, taking a look at BBC’s website it does look like they experienced more widespread dropout issues across the board. You can read about that here : https://cbchelp.cbc.ca/hc/en-ca/articles/6640395359899--NEW-Issues-connection-to-CBC-Radio-networks-on-internet-devices

Please let me know if any of the above helps with your audio dropouts, thanks Ed!

A very basic question: I generated a new RAATServer folder. Should I delete the “RAATServer_old” now?

Hey @Ed_Kutrowski,

Great question! It shouldn’t hurt to remove your old RaatSever file at this point, it would certainly free up a bit of space on your machine!

It also doesn’t hurt anything being there. The only potential issue you could run into is if you ever need to create a second old server, where the _old and _old2 could get potentially confusing.

I’ve refreshed the RAAT server, and did a factory reset of the Bluesound Node 2i. Still dropouts on network radio, seems to be related to the “searching for core” icon that shows up periodically.

I did a factory reset on the Bluesound Node 2i (scrambled after a power failure) and fixed a network permissions issue with a NAS, and all is well. No dropouts.
Thanks for the suggestions @benjamin and @Michael_Harris.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.