Dropouts when playing directly via core server

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
MacOS Catalina / Mac Mini 2012 (16GG/SSD)/ Roon build 571.

Description Of Issue
Suddenly I have problems playing audio directly via the Roon core.

Mostly I use a Roon Ready streamer via the network and this still works without any problem.

But when playing directly on the core server (Mam Mini) it won’t start playing and after a few seconds gives the error ‘Audio file loading slowly’. This happens with local files, but also using Tidal. It doesn’t matter what audio output I use on the core server(dac via USB/SPDIF or Mac Mini internal ouput). This used to work without any problems

Yes I know it’s better to always use a network streamer instead of playing via core directly, but sometimes I used this for test purposes or others reasons and so curious why this doesn’t work anymore.

I’ve restarted core, restared the Mac, but the problem remains.

I found the ROon logs and the RAATServer log show warnings about dropouts after I press play.

07/11 07:56:39 Warn: [RAAT::hiFaceTWO UAC2 Output] dropout of 2205 samples at 111418 [2]
07/11 07:56:39 Warn: [RAAT::hiFaceTWO UAC2 Output] dropout of 2205 samples at 113623 [2]
07/11 07:56:39 Warn: [RAAT::hiFaceTWO UAC2 Output] dropout of 2205 samples at 115828 [2]
07/11 07:56:39 Warn: [RAAT::hiFaceTWO UAC2 Output] dropout of 2205 samples at 118033 [2]
07/11 07:56:40 Warn: [RAAT::hiFaceTWO UAC2 Output] dropout of 2205 samples at 120238 [2]
07/11 07:56:40 Warn: [RAAT::hiFaceTWO UAC2 Output] dropout of 2205 samples at 122443 [2]
07/11 07:56:40 Warn: [RAAT::hiFaceTWO UAC2 Output] dropout of 2205 samples at 124648 [2]
07/11 07:56:40 Warn: [RAAT::hiFaceTWO UAC2 Output] dropout of 2205 samples at 126853 [2]
07/11 07:56:40 Warn: [RAAT::hiFaceTWO UAC2 Output] dropout of 2205 samples at 129058 [2]
07/11 07:56:40 Warn: [RAAT::hiFaceTWO UAC2 Output] dropout of 2205 samples at 131263 [2]
07/11 07:56:40 Warn: [RAAT::hiFaceTWO UAC2 Output] dropout of 2205 samples at 133468 [2]

Hi @Bjorn,

Can you share a screenshot of Device Setup for the audio output you’re using?

Thanks!

Hi Dylan, Thanks for your reply

See screenshots. I’ve tried already several changes like disabling exclusive and integer mode, but the problem remained.

The mqa abilities should be none I think and 24 bits max.

Just tried these suggestions, but the problem remains.

Hi @Bjorn,

If you try outputting to your Core’s “System Output” zone, do you notice issues on the internal speakers as well?

No all the outputs that I can use on core directly give the same issue

Hi @Bjorn,

Thanks for confirming. I wonder if your RAATServer instance is having issues. You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings -> Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

Today I did all that but sadly without any luck.

I made a video how the problem looks from within the remote app, but don’t see any way to upload it here.

Hi @Bjorn,

Can I please ask that you upload the video and a full set of your Roon and RAATServer logs to the link I sent you via private message? As a reminder, you can access logs by using these instructions.

Hello Noris, I’ve uploaded the files.
I already made a copy of the raatserver.log file right after taking these previous mentioned steps and so only contains the logs from the moment it went wrong again. The Roonserver.log file contains way more data but should be from that some time period.

In the video you can see that all outputs via core server give the same problem and via the streamer it works without any issue.

1 Like

Hi @Bjorn,

Thanks for sending those logs over. I was looking through older threads on this topic and I saw a thread regarding issues with this device on outdated firmware, are you perhaps using an older version or have you updated to the latest?

Hi,
But all the outputs on core have the same issue so how can this have anything to do with the hifface?

1 Like

@Bjorn - Thanks for confirming it’s not just the HiFace2, re-reading the read I see that now.

In this case, let me get these logs over to our technical team to see if they can provide some more context as to why this issue can occur, once I have their feedback I will reach out once more, thanks!

Hi @Bjorn,

I spoke to our technical team regarding this behavior and they have mentioned that you have quite an old Mac hosting the Roon Core, and it is possible that this Mac isn’t meeting our Minimum Requirements.

Do you have any other PCs around the house which you can try installing the Roon Core on that meet our minimum requirements? To switch Cores:

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

True that it’s a mac mini 2012 and not the most recent. but the memory is expended till 16GB en it has a 500GB SSD drive. CPU is 2,5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 and it isn’t running any other processes.
As far a I now it should be more than fast enough and it has never been an issue before till it suddenly stop working.

But as I said in my first post it’s not the main method a play music so it’s not high priority for me to get this fixed. I was hoping there would be an easy fix though, but seems not :slight_smile:

For me it’s not important enough to install core on my macbook for instance and also don’t want to take more of your time. Luckily using my endpoint I don’t have any problems and the music is still flowing :slight_smile:

So for me this ticket can be closed

1 Like

Hi @Bjorn,

Thanks for the feedback.

If you don’t want to troubleshoot this further, I certainly can’t force you to, but if you were to have the same issues, I would highly suggest testing out the Macbook as the Roon Core to see if the behavior is the same.

I’m going to go ahead and close the thread as you requested, but if you want to look into this further at a later point, just let us know and we can re-open this thread, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.