DSD playback ability lost on the Auralic Aries after upgrading to 1.2

Thanks Mike. There certainly is the possibility that I could be confused. Here are some additional points that may or may not be helpful:

• A couple months ago, attempting to listen to DSD on my Marantz with this set up produced white noise until Auralic rolled out firmware version 3.2. After that it worked fine. My experience was the same as what others were experiencing in this thread:
  • After upgrading to Roon 1.2 I had to change the DSD over PCM (DoP V1.1) setting on my Aries in order to get sound from Roon. My previous settings were no longer working.

That said, I decided to test the issue by attempting to play DSD files through this setup using Auralic’s Lightning DS app. I accessed the DSF file from a USB stick that I placed in the Aries. I was able to play FLAC files but I could not get sound from the DSF file with DSD over PCM (DoP V1.1) switched on or off. With it on I got some sort of light static and with it off I got no sound at all.

One complicating factor is that the day before my test Auralic upgraded their firmware and made the following change – “Disable “DSD over PCM” only works on USB DACs that support sampling rate to 352.8K.” so it may be that my the test was not entirely “apples to apples” to my experience prior to upgrading 1.2. Either way, it’s looking like direct DSD over the coax is not currently possible. Unfortunately the Marantz will not recognize the Aries via USB so coax is the only option.

Thanks again for your help here. You guys have come up with a revolutionary product!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Ian