DSD static when device volume is set below 100

Roon Server Machine

Roon Nucleus Gen 1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Laptop or Amazon Fire tablet as remote via WiFi to router
Nucleus hard wired to router
Nucleus library on ss ext hd connected to one usb
Nucleus connected to Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 3(used as DDC)
MA X-SPDIF 3 connected to Audio GD R8 MK2 DAC by i2s by HDMI cable

Connected Audio Devices

Nucleus library on ss ext hd connected to one usb
Nucleus connected to Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 3(used as DDC)
MA X-SPDIF 3 connected to Audio GD R8 MK2 DAC by i2s by HDMI cable

Number of Tracks in Library

28146 tracks

Description of Issue

In ROON if in the zone setup is set to anything less 100 there is static when playing dsf files. PCM files are not affected. This was a new problem that started happening about a month ago after a fw update to Roon.
Pretty sure that it was working fine before your fw update (2 updates ago) since I’m OCD about testing different types of files after making changes in setup.

You cannot use digital volume with DSD it breaks the bitstream. So unless your converting to PCM it will break.

1 Like

I had set the volume down to help even its output to match other components in my system. As I said, I was pretty sure this happened since recent fw updates to the Nucleus/Roon. I was only trying to report a possible bug to the proper people.
Thanks for your help.

Can you post snapshots of your signal path in the two cases?

1 Like

Hi @Thomas_Giloy,

The tech support team would be happy to take a look, but we would need the screenshot of your Signal Path as @Marian suggested above to proceed with our investigation.

![Screenshot (5)|690x388](upload://aD2WphGccIu9LoO246QS40UuHPz.jpeg) ![Screenshot (6)|690x388](upload://wfiKRRKk1UALO2jYrH2mcetFI57.jpeg) First screenshot is with volume set to 100. dsf files play fine. If volume is set to fixed it also works fine. Second screenshot is with volume at 99. dsf file is all static all the time. Not intermittent static, its constant.. If Nucleus is set to dsd over DoP there is no sound at all. The screenshots are both set to native. If set to convert to pcm it works fine no matter what the volume is set to.

I can’t upload screenshots. Searching your website gives no instructions for how to do it. Both were exactly the same.

Figured it out.

Thanks. From the signal path, it seems Roon doesn’t apply any volume itself, as its control ends at RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) step. I guess there’s something going on in the driver or in the Matrix, since that’s where device volume should be implemented. Have you tried plugging the DAC directly into the Nucleus?

If the dac is connected to Nucleus directly via usb it only allows dsd over DoP. I can adjust Nucleus volume without problem for dsf and pcm tracks. No problem. Works fine.
If the MA XSPIF 3 is connected to Nucleus via usb and the dac is sent i2s and Nucleus volume is under 100:
native dsd causes static.
pcm works fine with reduced volume.
dsd over DoP is silent- no static, no music. Nothing.

I Tried sending dsd via hdmi from Nucleus directly to my processor. That device only shows dsd over DoP as a choice- no sound when playing dsf file. PCM plays fine. Converting dsd to pcm works fine.

Seems to be the same problem as dsd over DoP through the Matrix Audio XSPDIF 3. Nucleus shows it is sendind dsd over DoP and processor shows it’s receiving pcm 176 (which is what it shows when receiving dsd over DoP). I haven’t used that connection in a while, but it used to work. I have switched to using the hdmi connection from Oppo 103 hdmi #2 out for this.
When connecting Oppo 103 to processor (Emotiva RMC-1L) and sending dsd from a dsf file everything works as it should. PCM also works fine.

I am reporting this for @connor and tech support. I’ve figured out work arounds so it is not a problem for me. Just reporting bugs since recent fw upgrades.

As I stated in op, I was able to send native dsd to MA XSPIF 3 at a lowered device volume below 100/fixed without problems before. I was also able to send dsd over DoP before. Seems to be some bugs in handling dsd lately.

Hi @Thomas_Giloy,

I wanted to reach out to let you know we’re still investigating. Thank you for your notes.

Thanks. Setting volume to ‘fixed’ fixes the problem, but it is confusing to me why pcm works at a lower level but dsd doesn’t.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.