DSP Usability and Functionality Improvements

DSP is a very beneficial feature of Roon, but it needs to be more accessible and responsive:

1. One-click DSP Presets. Directly in the playback display, next to the playback progress bar. Let me turn DSP presets on and off with one click. Digging into the volume control menu every time is very annoying. Also, if I turn a preset on or off while music is playing, please pause the music while the DSP engages so I don’t miss hearing part of the song.

2. DSP Presets for Each Output Device: The user-defined, Auto-loudness, and Roon-defined DSP presets should be configurable to be available (or hidden) depending on the output device currently displayed.

3. An Auto-loudness Adjustment DSP. The research is published. We know the loudness curves that keep perceived balance in frequency response as volume decreases. There will be some differences among systems due to speaker sensitivity. You could give us a way to adjust the volume levels at which loudness curves kick in for auto-loudness. This will significantly enhance low-volume listening and provide a much better result than the old “loudness” button receivers.

4. Room correction. Provide support for applying room correction. At first this could just be importing files from REW, but could easily include Roon’s old room correction models based on a USB-C mic connected to the computer and tests signals generated by Roon directly.

Don’t forget to vote for your own suggestions.

But can’t you already do that?

Having built-in tools for generating convolutions would be nice, but those are rather easily available.

Auto-loudness would be good though.

1 Like

A dynamic loudness function would be very much welcomed!

I would like to add to the first paragraph that seeing which DSP Preset is active in playback display (and the signal path) would be very helpful.

I think 2 and four are already possible, right?

Yep. Number 2 is done with zones, number 4 by importing filter files created by other software.

1 Like

Thanks. I wasn’t able to find a way to simply import an REW file, but that could just be my ignorance. Perhaps the feature could be more obvious in the interface.

Using zones to assign a preset to an output device is a workaround, but in that case the zone would only have one output device, correct? The preset would apply to every device in the zone vs. being specific to the device, if I understand correctly. So, if I have three devices in the zone they would all get the same preset applied. Room corrections would not work well in that scenario. I could still be misunderstanding, however.

You’d have to create a convolution filter with REW.

Every software sure this differently, but maybe this helps with REW:

Loading the filter file(s) into Roon is pretty straightforward.

Yes, this was the question above :slight_smile:

No, a device IS a zone in Roon. Same thing