Duplicate Chromecast devices on Audio tab of Settings [Resolved - Disabled DNS Reflector on Core]

OK, here’s what I did now.

1. Disabled pi-hole DNS service on my network.

2. Shut down Roon Core

3. Rebooted entire network (Unifi USG + 3 AP-Lite)

4. Restarted Roon Core

5. Reconfigured CCA devices with names that indicate I set them up manually as shown below. This is the entire list of “Roon tested” devices on the network from immediately following the reboot.

I also then had the desired list under the zones menu:

1. Started an dns-sd scan on an unrelated Windows PC. Initial result here:

2. Occasionally checked the Roon app for duplicate devices. Roughly 30 minutes later, one duplicate had appeared at 192.168.1.39 (this is the Garage CCA device):

Duplicate groups also began appearing at this time in the Roon app.

This seems to correspond with some activity in the DNS log:

I see a CCA device removed at 18:53, and then a nearly identical one added at 18:56, the only difference being the -8 vs. the -7 suffix on the instance name.
About 30 minutes later, and this activity continues:

And the duplicates are multiplying:

So, it looks like Roon is responding to these added CCA devices (as well as some groups). But again it’s ONLY the .37 (Office) and .39 (Garage) devices. I was going to say it might be possible these are switching bands, but the Office device is just ten feet away from an AP. Garage and Living Room are a bit farther away. If it was band switching, I’d expect the farther devices to exhibit this behavior, no?

This is interesting, I suppose, but not yet instructive. What do I do with this information, @BlackJack ?

1 Like